Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Factory Tour 2021

Rabs

Pretty detailed...  I always want to see the Plek machine in action but they never seem to show that...  Theres one point where Jim says that they give people what they want after listening to shops and forums...  I have one thing to say to that  2015 Jim...  2015   😄  

• Like 1

In 2015 Gibson did what the King told them to do. Give me a break you listen to the forum. If you did you would only be making one acoustic, the J-45 and Steve Ford would have his FB headstock how he wants it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rest assured they are NOT listening to me.

I parked everything and play a Firebird VII, they discontinued that back in 2006.

Nobody bought them because it's 8' long, the pickups sound like crap and the whammy bar bonks your hand all the time.

Other than that it's perfect!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Rest assured they are NOT listening to me.

I parked everything and play a Firebird VII, they discontinued that back in 2006.

Nobody bought them because it's 8' long, the pickups sound like crap and the whammy bar bonks your hand all the time.

Other than that it's perfect!

Sounds like a Gibson to me. 10 issues with it but in the words of many forum members “I’d keep it it with that issue”.

20 hours ago, Rabs said:

Pretty detailed...  I always want to see the Plek machine in action but they never seem to show that...  Theres one point where Jim says that they give people what they want after listening to shops and forums...  I have one thing to say to that  2015 Jim...  2015   😄  

I'll watch it later on. 

It was me that Gibson evidently listened to. I loved the 2015 models and bought two of them. 

Thanks Jim. Cheers Gibson. 

23 hours ago, LarryUK said:

Now watch a Indonesian factory tour.  Much more enthusiasm and all the staff know about guitars.

Not just Mrs Jones and Mr Cortez on minimum wage doing one job half hearted to meet the daily quota.  

That is because at the equivalent of 15 cents an hour ( which is probably a high paying job there) you can’t afford to lose your job. And if you don’t put on a happy face your gone. Here in the US they will do things to get fired then they can collect unemployment. 
Isn’t it called being on the dole in the UK?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

That is because at the equivalent of 15 cents an hour ( which is probably a high paying job there) you can’t afford to lose your job. And if you don’t put on a happy face your gone. Here in the US they will do things to get fired then they can collect unemployment. 
Isn’t it called being on the dole in the UK?

Correct. I've been on the dole twice in my 20s.

3 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Correct. I've been on the dole twice in my 20s.

I learned that from Trainspotting. See what you learn from watching movies about heroine addicts. 
Now back to the factory tour.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Gibson isn't gonna make everyone happy.

1. 1960's.... People are pissed that Gibson stopped making Les Pauls and replaced it with the SG.

2. 1970's.... People are pissed at Norlin with cost cutting and sending Epiphone products to be made in Japan. People are now paying a small fortune for these instruments.

3. 1980's.... People are pissed because Gibson tried to make super strats, but today people are paying a small fortune for them.

4. 1990's... People are mad again at Gibson for making pre-historic models not being exactly like a 1959 Les Paul Standard.... People today are paying a small fortune for them.

5. 2000's... People are pissed at Gibson for releasing custom R Les Paul models and complaining about the cost and rolling there eyes at relicing.

6. 2010's... People are pissed at Gibson for auto-tune, Robo guitars and richlite fingerboards.

7. 2020's... I'm sure people will find the same ol thing to complain about.....

I dunno... Find a guitar you like and let yourself be happy.

On the acoustic side, there was a similar procession I'm sure:   Norlin, of course;  Pickguard covering the rosette;  Putting Mom & Pops out of business: Flubberguard;  can't order custom spec'd guitars; takes too long to get custom spec'd guitars' ; Too many versions of the J45; Not enough J45s with maple b/s ....    BS indeed. 

"You can please some of the people some of the time..."

1 hour ago, duane v said:

Gibson isn't gonna make everyone happy.

1. 1960's.... People are pissed that Gibson stopped making Les Pauls and replaced it with the SG.

2. 1970's.... People are pissed at Norlin with cost cutting and sending Epiphone products to be made in Japan. People are now paying a small fortune for these instruments.

3. 1980's.... People are pissed because Gibson tried to make super strats, but today people are paying a small fortune for them.

4. 1990's... People are mad again at Gibson for making pre-historic models not being exactly like a 1959 Les Paul Standard.... People today are paying a small fortune for them.

5. 2000's... People are pissed at Gibson for releasing custom R Les Paul models and complaining about the cost and rolling there eyes at relicing.

6. 2010's... People are pissed at Gibson for auto-tune, Robo guitars and richlite fingerboards.

7. 2020's... I'm sure people will find the same ol thing to complain about.....

I dunno... Find a guitar you like and let yourself be happy.

People (me) don't give a rip what JC and his Canadian cronies decide do. Sometimes it gives me something to laugh at.

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

On the acoustic side, there was a similar procession I'm sure:   Norlin, of course;  Pickguard covering the rosette;  Putting Mom & Pops out of business: Flubberguard;  can't order custom spec'd guitars; takes too long to get custom spec'd guitars' ; Too many versions of the J45; Not enough J45s with maple b/s ....    BS indeed. 

"You can please some of the people some of the time..."

People (me) want well made instruments that are affordable. That is it. There is no need for a 9k guitar from any maker, and if you got that kind of dough order a custom just cause your rich a-ss can.

As much as I love Gibson and you know I do, they did not put mom and pop out of business. They just said we are not going to allow you to sell your stuff unless you are a huge store. In a way maybe they did, still Gibson can make and sell what they want, and have whoever they like sell it. 

If your mad about it buy the company and do it your way.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pohatu771 said:

The same channel shows the Plek process (partially) in their Custom Shop tour.

Cheers... I went and had a look.. It does show you more but id love to see a guitar go in from start to finish.

On 1/19/2022 at 12:26 PM, Rabs said:

They could show us the Plek machine in action but then they'd have to kill us.

• Haha 2