Gibson Brands Forums

Cigarette Smoke Smell In A Guitar

Sgt. Pepper

On 11/24/21 I bought a used Martin 00-28. You know the story. Guy told me he was the original owner, and he has a smoke free home. One of those thing was a lie. So every day since I got the guitar, I have been taking it out of the case, weather I play it or not, and let it air out. It is finally to the point where I can stand it being in my hands and it doesn't smell like an ashtray.  

I was half tempted to contact Reverb and return it. I should have found out if he would have to pay shipping back to himself, just to be a d-ick, but I was looking for that model for a while, and did get a good price. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

hey Chief.  I know the story,  my 78 Alvarez that I got in 89 reeked for a few years, but now, it just smells like a 40+ year old guitar

The case is long gone  that was a lost cause,

BTW.. I think you can delete your own threads..  

Edited by kidblast

48 minutes ago, kidblast said:

hey Chief.  I know the story,  my 78 Alvarez that I got in 89 reeked for a few years, but now, it just smells like a 40+ year old guitar

The case is long gone  that was a lost cause,

BTW.. I think you can delete your own threads..  

When I click on the 3 dots (. . .) up in the right hand corner of my OP, it says  Report   Share   Edit.  Edit may I will give it a try.

Twelve years ago I bought a J-45 that arrived with a strong cigarette smell.

When I asked this same question in the Acoustic section, one member berated me for erasing the "history" of the guitar.

My solution - throw away the cheap cardboard case it came in, and keep a dryer sheet inside the guitar (store in the cardboard box that it shipped in) for about a week. It worked very well. If the case is actually worth keeping, it might need to be shampooed with a carpet cleaner.

3 hours ago, pohatu771 said:

When I asked this same question in the Acoustic section, one member berated me for erasing the "history" of the guitar.

why you ....................
MONSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!LOL!

nothing worse than a guitar and case that smells like an ash try..

Erase away...

There's a sliding scale for me, when it comes to guitars and gear;
The older it is, the more it's cool that it smells like a smoky bar. 

I don't know why that is. 
A nearly new instrument that smells like an ashtray is a no-go. 
But a 1991 Firebird is allowed to carry that 'just came in from The Long Branch' aroma into my house. 

No good reason for it, I reckon. 
🤫

8 hours ago, Realmongo said:

I quit smoking in December 1987 and ever since, I can't stand the smell of cigarettes.

When the fellow across the road stands out on the front doorstep smoking (which he does many times a day), I feel lucky I was able to quit. 

The concerted effort in the uk (and I'm sure elsewhere) to eradicate smoking 20 years ago was helpful. A a smoker, I felt like a social outcast every time I wanted to light up. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 1:53 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

On 11/24/21 I bought a used Martin 00-28. You know the story. Guy told me he was the original owner, and he has a smoke free home. One of those thing was a lie. So every day since I got the guitar, I have been taking it out of the case, weather I play it or not, and let it air out. It is finally to the point where I can stand it being in my hands and it doesn't smell like an ashtray.  

I was half tempted to contact Reverb and return it. I should have found out if he would have to pay shipping back to himself, just to be a d-ick, but I was looking for that model for a while, and did get a good price. 

Chief,

Why don't you just hang one of those little pine-tree shaped air fresheners inside the guitar?

RBSinTo

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Retired said:

One thing I cannot stand and that is cigarette smoke. Probably why I never buy or try to get and that is Used Guitars. Even the smallest amount on someone walking buy. 

I’m with you on this one - can’t stand the smell of rank cigarettes. The smoke gets all over everything and leaves layers of tar on whatever it lingers by. I used to wash cars for a living as a junior, and cleaning a smoker’s windshield was disgusting! It took several applications of window cleaner as you’d see the yellow streaks left on the glass - not to mention the rag! Such a disgusting habit. Just a shame it’s so addictive. You’d think that spending what is it… $10 a pack give or take… just how powerful the addiction is. 

Y'know, there IS a product that'll give your car that "new car smell", so why not have one for other things.  Like guitars?  [thumbup]

3 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

Such a disgusting habit. Just a shame it’s so addictive. You’d think that spending what is it… $10 a pack give or take… just how powerful the addiction is. 

I first quit smoking tobacco in '73.  But between then and the late '80's smoked everything else but.  And in retrospect, I honestly say I've had far worse habits than tobacco.  So in the late '80's I took up cigarettes again and quit the other stuff.  And the smokes helped.  And finally, in 2019, I quit tobacco again.  And haven't yet gone back.   And I still enjoy the aroma of a freshlylit cigarette.  But one smoldering in an ashtray is off putting.  Was even so when I was a smoker.   And compared to other habits, it's not really all that bad.  For instance...

I never smoked too much and drove my car into a tree, building or schoolyard, as many drunks have been known to do.

I never  smoked too much and wound up in a gutter, getting angry and beating my wife or kids, or losing my job.

Nor waking up in a strange bed or the backseat of my car in a freeway rest area.( I know a few who have).

So, enjoy the beer and other drinks tonight watching men in tight pants grab each other and roll on the ground.  [wink]

Whitefang

I had the same problem.  Bought a guitar where the previous owner died of emphysema.  Only thing that worked was leaving the guitar case open in strong sunlight whenever I could for a month.  The UV rays are the only thing that will work.  No cover up chemicals, coffee, baking soda, etc, will have the same effect.

15 hours ago, sparquelito said:

There's a sliding scale for me, when it comes to guitars and gear;
The older it is, the more it's cool that it smells like a smoky bar. 

I don't know why that is. 
A nearly new instrument that smells like an ashtray is a no-go. 
But a 1991 Firebird is allowed to carry that 'just came in from The Long Branch' aroma into my house. 

No good reason for it, I reckon. 
🤫

In the Blues World, I think that's known as "Mojo".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Y'know, there IS a product that'll give your car that "new car smell", so why not have one for other things.  Like guitars?  [thumbup]

I first quit smoking tobacco in '73.  But between then and the late '80's smoked everything else but.  And in retrospect, I honestly say I've had far worse habits than tobacco.  So in the late '80's I took up cigarettes again and quit the other stuff.  And the smokes helped.  And finally, in 2019, I quit tobacco again.  And haven't yet gone back.   And I still enjoy the aroma of a freshlylit cigarette.  But one smoldering in an ashtray is off putting.  Was even so when I was a smoker.   And compared to other habits, it's not really all that bad.  For instance...

I never smoked too much and drove my car into a tree, building or schoolyard, as many drunks have been known to do.

I never  smoked too much and wound up in a gutter, getting angry and beating my wife or kids, or losing my job.

Nor waking up in a strange bed or the backseat of my car in a freeway rest area.( I know a few who have).

So, enjoy the beer and other drinks tonight watching men in tight pants grab each other and roll on the ground.  [wink]

Whitefang

Lol but yeah, there are definitely worse things to do - agree with that point.

Once my fist born came into this world I told myself I needed to do everything in my power to give myself the best chances of survival. Smoking seemed the obvious thing to change in my life. I enjoyed the habit no lie… just don’t want to die that way if I can help it. I don’t want the loved ones to deal with me not being able to breathe without O2 or live without a voice box, etc. But I do still partake with some greenery socially for the most part. I used to be the kind of weed smoker where I bought a bag for me to smoke all day, every day - and with friends. Of course responsibly where I don’t do the driving stuff after a session because that’s not being responsible either. But unlike weed, cigarettes you don’t just have a little here and there - at least I can’t do that. And the other part that really sucks about smoking is after you quit, your first few smokes getting back into the habit makes you sick - and I have these profuse sweating episodes (probably my body getting used to the poisons and such). I was tired of waking up with sore, dry throats every day… I was tired of being winded going up and down stairs… I just want to make it to 10 years as a milestone and go from there. From what I’ve read, it reduces my chances of lung disease to that if a non-smoker. But 10 years is no easy feat for some. My mom quit for many years, went back to have to go through quitting all over again… 

Speaking of that, living with a smoker sucks… My mom had an ashtray at the dinner table. I can’t believe how widely publicly used they were where there were smoking sections in all restaurants and such. 

Well, I’ve contributed absolutely nothing to how to get rid of smoke crap on a guitar or case… I imagine it’s hard as hell with an acoustic… that sound hole usually has raw wood and breathes that crap in right with ya…

• Like 1

On 2/12/2022 at 7:52 PM, Realmongo said:

I quit smoking in December 1987 and ever since, I can't stand the smell of cigarettes.

Good for you.  I admit I tried smoking once.  When mom and dad bought a new house that was built for them.  On the way back for another load, I stayed at the new place alone, I was about 8-10? I found some cigarettes a worker left behind and went outside in the cold winter day to try a puff.  OH, My God, I thought I was going to choke to death as I couldn't stop choking or catch my breath. That was it for me, Absolutely no more desires to repeat that ever again. 

• Like 2