Gibson Brands Forums

Olympics

Sgt. Pepper

11 minutes ago, Pinch said:

What do you take to figure-skate better? 🤔

A very good point.   What could help improve  your balance and movement?  Amphetamine perhaps?   Something her grandad had on scrip apparently, as if anyone believes that.

However to get to that standard she will definitely have practiced for hours every day for many years, like a guitar player might, except that she will have had someone - a trainer - ordering her about since she was about 8 or something.  

Edited by jdgm

16 minutes ago, Pinch said:

What do you take to figure-skate better? 🤔

She claims it was water she drank at her grandfathers house, and for some reason her grandfathers heart medicine was diluted in it. Whatever it was was a banned substance. She also had two other things in her body. I think the other two were not banned. Whatever the drug is its banned for a reason. 

38 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

She claims it was water she drank at her grandfathers house, and for some reason her grandfathers heart medicine was diluted in it. Whatever it was was a banned substance. She also had two other things in her body. I think the other two were not banned. Whatever the drug is its banned for a reason. 

Oh, okay.  Of course. 

8 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Trimetazidine is supposed to help athletes with endurance.  Which might make you wonder, what kind of endurance do you need for figure skating - the program is usually just a few minutes.  True, but to be an Olympic level figure skater you have to practice for many hours per day.   

If figure skating was easy I guess you would do it, and be Olympic worthy. My wife did it when she was young. She only did it for fun though.

8 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

How do you know I didn't? 

I  don't doubt for a second you were a figure skater, but it was mostly to wear the costumes they wear while skating, like that fruit loop, is it a guy, commentator wears.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I lost interest in the Olympics when they began to allow professional league/corporate athletes to compete against the pure amateur competitors. 

NBA and NHL 'Super-teams'?

Downhill skiers with NASCAR-like endorsement deals worth millions competing?
Meh. 
Hard pass. 
😶

rxTtQ1n.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

I lost interest in the Olympics when they began to allow professional league/corporate athletes to compete against the pure amateur competitors. 

Meh. 
Hard pass. 
😶

rxTtQ1n.jpg

Ding ding ding! It’s all a facade

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

True, but to be an Olympic level figure skater you have to practice for many hours per day.   

And many years of days like that.

I have a grandniece who was into that as a kid too.  Her name is Alexandra, Alex for short.  I used to make her laugh by saying dumb stuff like, "I can't believe they named that spin after you."  She'd ask what I meant and I'd say,  "Didn't I hear an announcer say some skater did a 'triple Alex'?"    Then I'd ask about the other maneuvers like;  The "Toe Jam"("Toe Loop)  or the "Moo Cow".("Salchow")

Whitefang

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I  don't doubt for a second you were a figure skater, but it was mostly to wear the costumes they wear while skating, like that fruit loop, is it a guy, commentator wears.

Ha!  My wife also liked that TV show "Say Yes to The Dress".  And one show had a girl come in to try on wedding dresses and brought figure skater Johnny Weir with her.  He too, insisted on trying on a few wedding gowns. :rolleyes:

Whitefang

2 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

And many years of days like that.

I have a grandniece who was into that as a kid too.  Her name is Alexandra, Alex for short.  I used to make her laugh by saying dumb stuff like, "I can't believe they named that spin after you."  She'd ask what I meant and I'd say,  "Didn't I hear an announcer say some skater did a 'triple Alex'?"    Then I'd ask about the other maneuvers like;  The "Toe Jam"("Toe Loop)  or the "Moo Cow".("Salchow")

Whitefang

Ha!  My wife also liked that TV show "Say Yes to The Dress".  And one show had a girl come in to try on wedding dresses and brought figure skater Johnny Weir with her.  He too, insisted on trying on a few wedding gowns. :rolleyes:

Whitefang

Its a great time to be gay in America.

• Haha 1

On 2/19/2022 at 7:46 AM, sparquelito said:

Meh. 
Hard pass. 
😶

rxTtQ1n.jpg

Even back before “professionals” were allowed to compete in the Olympics, there were a lot of shenanigans going on that were ignored.  The most obvious that comes to mind was the “amateur” status of the Soviet hockey teams.  The weren’t professionals because they were members of the Red Army.  Just everyday soldiers who played world-class hockey in their free time.  Yeah right.  I’m sure they were regularly out on maneuvers, humping the boonies with their AK-47s and tactical gear.  And I wonder how many of them served with the Red Army in Afghanistan.   Yep, no problem there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, tx-ogre said:

Even back before “professionals” were allowed to compete in the Olympics, there were a lot of shenanigans going on that were ignored.  The most obvious that comes to mind was the “amateur” status of the Soviet hockey teams.  The weren’t professionals because they were members of the Red Army.  Just everyday soldiers who played world-class hockey in their free time.  Yeah right.  I’m sure they were regularly out on maneuvers, humping the boonies with their AK-47s and tactical gear.  And I wonder how many of them served with the Red Army in Afghanistan.   Yep, no problem there.

Agreed. 

😑

11 hours ago, tx-ogre said:

Russia has been finagling their way (aka cheating) thru the Olympics since the dawn of creation.   One of the reasons guys like me lost interets..

then there's...

...China...

No thanks....

6 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

And all that drama just goes to making curling look more interesting.  [wink]

Whitefang

The fashionistas must have loved the long haired USA men's curler with his fabulous shoes.

Hey I don't have anything better to do today, wanna go throw a stone tea pot on the the frozen lake at a bull's eye. Hey don't forget your broom so we can make it curve a little. I'd rather watch paint dry.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 minute ago, Pinch said:

That's because winter is a stupid season. Snow is God's gonorrheal drip. 

Just saw a clip (also on Fox) of some guy windsurfing.  Off the coast of the Netherlands.  Winds looked to be in the 60s. He could barely hold on to his sail. The whitecaps had whitecaps.   Probably winter season  in the Netherlands.