Gibson Brands Forums

Not a guitar topic - Heimlich Maneuver for dogs

CNJ

I know it's not a guitar topic, but if anyone has a dog, you may be interested.  I was noodling around with a couple of guitars (OK, so I made it guitar-centric) when I hear screaming from downstairs by wife and kid, calling for help.  It seems that the kid took the dog for a walk (a wonder in itself) and gave the dog a treat.  A chicken treat in the form of a drinking straw  thing.  The dog was gagging, chocking, hacking and staggering around.  Of course the W & K are screaming at me to "Do Something!"  Before I retired I worked in a bunch of chemical plants and always took the Red Cross CPR classes they offered.  The course also included a section on the Heimlich Maneuver.  It would take at least 25 minutes to get the dog to the vet, so the Heimlich was my only option.  The dog is fairly large (a black lab-rottweiler mix) so I forced her back legs down to a sitting position  and was able to put my hands on her belly (she's all belly BTW)  and do the HM.  On the second try, a 2 inch piece of the treat popped out.  The wife and kids started heaping accolades on the dog (for not dying) and the dog. being a dog thought the praise was for eating a treat.  So in true dog style, the beast quickly snapped up the offending treat before anyone could take it away and successfully managed to chew and swallow it.  I was curious to see if doing the HM for dogs was a legit thing and by God there are a number of Pet/Vet websites that detail how to do this to large and small dogs.         

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Retired.  We have had a few dogs over the years.  The one above we got from a kill shelter.  She was a mess; sitting in a urine and feces filled cage, wouldn't look at anyone, had mange, scrawny.  The guys at the shelter said if we were interested come back in an hour and they would clean her up.  She turned out to be the most loyal, well behaved dog we ever had.  We also have another rescue, a mixed-breed hound, very smart dog

I happened to do that once. The Controller I worked for and I were in a restaurant for lunch.  He stood up and started gagging.  I panicked - went to the kitchen for help - they ignored me.  I went back and asked if he wanted me to use the Heimlich - he nodded frantically.  A piece of lettuce shot out.   A few months later he gave me an 'Average" on my annual review.     I'm guessing your dog was more appreciative.      He left a year later, but my new boss was an even bigger axehold.  So, I found a better job in another state.   That's why some people prefer dogs to people!

3 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

A few months later he gave me an 'Average" on my annual review.     I'm guessing your dog was more appreciative.      He left a year later, but my new boss was an even bigger axehold.  So, I found a better job in another state.   That's why some people prefer dogs to people!

I cracked up when I read that...  what a d*ck... "hey thanks for saving my life, but ....  for your review, under the bus you go, nothing personal..."

next time maybe stay in the kitchen??????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey, fortyyearspicking sorry to hear that.  I had a scumbag boss once and found that if you try not to take anything personally, especially if it's meant personally it really pisses the other guy off.  My dad taught me a long time ago - "You can't argue with an idiot, because a by-stander won't be able to tell the difference."  Besides, there's always Karma; with any luck he'll do a Heimlich on someone else (since it saved his miserable butt) and get fired for sexual harassment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, CNJ said:

I had a scumbag boss once 

Besides, there's always Karma; with any luck he'll do a Heimlich on someone else (since it saved his miserable butt) and get fired for sexual harassment.

Once?  How'd you manage that?  In nearly 30 years at GM I had  I had as many as 14 bosses.  And only THREE that weren't scumbags.

And Karma would be him choking again but with nobody giving him the Heimlich.  [wink]

But as for the dog story.  I agree with Ksdaddy;  Good on you.  

Whitefang

14 hours ago, CNJ said:

The wife and kids started heaping accolades on the dog (for not dying) and the dog. being a dog thought the praise was for eating a treat.  So in true dog style, the beast quickly snapped up the offending treat before anyone could take it away

did wife & kids realise how lucky they were right then?

Guess I just lucked out with the boss thing.  Later in the career I had a chance to put together an engineering group with 10 direct reports and did my best to remember what a crappy boss was like and vowed never to be that way.  As the saying goes, "Boss spelled backwards is Double SOB."

• Haha 1

Hi Merciful-Evans.   Yeah, they were relieved and very grateful we were able to deal with this emergency at home and very quickly.  Bonus points for not getting bitten in the process

Edited by CNJ

Damn dogs will eat anything. I was walking my dog a few weeks back and she stopped to sniff stuff as dogs do, and then she started chewing on a dirty 7-11 taquito someone had thrown on the ground. I'm sure that was a fabulous dog day for her.

Here is the trained attack dog, 15 pounds of pure kill - Ginger. She has a guitar pick for a dog tag.

NXWxzqt.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Hi Sgt.  So true right?  Last week I brought a ham/cheese/salami sandwich for lunch that was loaded with way too much ham.  I took a few slices off and was looking for the dogs to give them some when I spotted a black and brown streak running down the hall.  The big dog had grabbed the whole sandwich and ran off with it, and I swear I her her laughing. 

1 minute ago, CNJ said:

Hi Sgt.  So true right?  Last week I brought a ham/cheese/salami sandwich for lunch that was loaded with way too much ham.  I took a few slices off and was looking for the dogs to give them some when I spotted a black and brown streak running down the hall.  The big dog had grabbed the whole sandwich and ran off with it, and I swear I her her laughing. 

Ginger is not a food thief, but when we had the Cocker Spaniel, Clyde, if you took you eye off it, and it was at mouth level or he could get to it, it was gone.

In 2011 I was recently widowed and was pursuing a dumpster fire of a beautiful but crazy blonde drunk.  She  had a son who had a history of violent outbursts, group homes as a youth, and jail as an adult. Slim Shady and Lurch had a love child. He rented a trailer from a short little jailbird creep who looked like Steve Buscemi. In 1985 this individual snorted coke off my coffee table and then had intimate relations with my girlfriend at the time, while I was at work in a french fry factory. Back to 2011, the short creep's house was right next to the tall creep's rented trailer, where they both sold drugs. Not just weed btw. Lots of underage girls hung around there. Draw your own conclusions.

One evening the drunk blonde called me up (drunk) and said that her son's dog may or may not have eaten rat poison. She was too drunk to walk, let alone drive, so of course since I really wanted to see her naked again, I came to the rescue. I exceeded the posted speed limit, stopped at Rite Aid and got 3 or 4 bottles of peroxide. I got to the dope dealer's "compound" and proceeded to dump as much peroxide down the throats of their dogs as I could. They both had boxers. They walked around the yard, snorting and foaming, for a good 20 minutes, when they both vomited all over the lawn. Lurch's dog's vomit was nothing but kibble. Buscemi's dog's vomit had probably 50 or 60 little blue pellets, identical to the rat poison.

Could that poison have killed the dog? I have no idea.  I got a mumbled "thanks" from the dope dealers and a couple "wow, man" comments from the stoned 16 year old girls.

Didn't gain me anything with the dumpster fire. I doubt she remembered it the next day.

If you are going to own a pet have the decency to treat them right. Yes they are animals, but so are we. My dog lives a great life and can go anywhere in the house she wants. She can be up on the couch and gets walked and played with and has an entire backyard to run around in. The only time she is out in the cold, is the 5 mins she is outside, when it’s cold, and she had to take care of business. 
Most times I would rather hang out with my dog than people.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

If you are going to own a pet have the decency to treat them right. 

Agreed. Years ago my dogs slept in their kennels and dog houses. I was convinced they preferred it and didn't like being cooped up inside overnight. Idiot. In 2009 I brought my 13 year old Golden inside for a meal and I never put him back in the kennel, ever. I sold the kennel and put the dog house in the burn pile. He lived the rest of his days warm and dry. My dogs go where I go now. I have Maggie, a ten year old Golden Retriever who sleeps 23 of the 24 hours, and Daisy, a 2 year old Jack Russell Shorty who is my shadow. They go out to pee and romp, and they wear PetSafe containment collars when they do. My Impala's seats have a layer of Retriever fur. 

• Like 1