Gibson Brands Forums

Can you recommend a good capo for my L-00?

BWS

I’ve had my new Gibson L-00 Standard for about a week. It’s my first Gibson. I absolutely love it! It’s easily the best (and most expensive lol) acoustic I have owned.  Can you all recommend a nice capo? I’ve heard of Thalia but don’t know much about them. I have a Kyser quick change capo but didn’t know if that is okay to use on this guitar. Thanks. 

I have a Martin 00L and two Epiphone EL-00 Pros (spruce top, mahog top), and a LG1…and use a Kaiser capo on all.  Works fine from my experience.   What I have learned, though, is not to ever keep the Kaiser capo clipped to the headstock of the satin finish Martin one for sure…and, not too long on the others’ headstocks either.  

QM aka “Jazzman Jeff”

Shubb. Anything else is over-engineered and too expensive.

The problem with Kaisers and other spring capos is that they’re not adjustable. It’s assumed one size fits all. Plus, Kaisers are ugly as sin. And people feel compelled to stick the capo (and clip-on tuners…) on their headstock when not in use. That’s lousy on a nitro finish, particularly a new one.

• Like 1

I've had the same silver Kyser capo since the 90's and it has never failed me (I use it on all my expensive guitars, including nitro Gibsons), nor let me down. Inexpensive and lasts forever. Also super easy to use. But as the above poster mentioned, whatever capo you use, please... don't clip it on the guitar. I don't know when that started becoming a trend, but don't. Take the extra two seconds to reach into your case and get it when you need it. Or set it nearby your stand. Clipping it on your guitar will ruin the finish. 

Edited by Sevendaymelee

Shubb...

I had a gift voucher a couple of years back and bought a box full of the top names, some already mentioned above.........and I use the cheapest one! A black Shubb standard (Capi Noir), right on the dotted line of the fret.

Depends what music you play but I do a bit of blues bending and the Shubbs are the only capo that let the string return to base after a bend. 

If you just play chords, the G7 P3 is the best for in tune-ness. The worst is the Kyser if it has too much tension, non adjustable...ok on various necks.....but.....

BluesKing777.

4 hours ago, BWS said:

Can you all recommend a nice capo? I’ve heard of Thalia but don’t know much about them.  

I have one of the Thalia capo but it takes too much grip for my old hands to operate it. My favorite is D'Addario NS Artist Capo version where the lever is up.

I’ve used G7th since they first released the Performance in 2004. Best capos I’ve ever used, I have a Performance, Performance 2, Performance 3, Newporter, Newporter 12 string and a Heritage for tenor guitar/banjo, and each is brilliant in their own ways. The staggered pad 12 string Newporter is an utterly brillant bit of design, and enabled me to tour with my 12 string at last! 

My favourite is the Performance 3 for general use. As close to perfect as a capo can get. 

Honourable mention must go to the Dunlop Victor also, I’ve owned and enjoyed several of those.

• Thanks 1

G7th's are good.  I like the Newport capos,  Light and there's a smaller foot print, 

Thalias are good, but they are almost over builtbut (Heavy).  But they do work nicely.  Tuning pads included to match your neck radius.  They offer pretty stable tuning.

Kyser's  ok in a pinch but they can cause tuning issues if you're not careful when you put them on.

When it comes to design and craftsmanship the best capo out there would be a Mckinney-Elliot.  Pretty flipping pricey though.  While I am not much for using capos, my wife who has owned most of the usual suspects swears by the G7 capos for her 1960 J200 and 2016 Martin D12-28.   

Edited by zombywoof

2 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

A short length of pencil and an elastic band make a pretty good capo.

And if you use a coloured pencil, you can even get it in a colour that compliments the finish on your guitar.

RBSinTo

Yes, we actually used to do that.  But I am guessing that is a bit too Old School for most here.

I may have to look at G7th again. Every time I look at the ones in GC I’m not impressed. I’ll look at the models Jinder mentioned. As I stated earlier I like the D’addario. The Thalia u have is too hard to operate and I plan on getting rid of it. 

CapoCapoCapo

Hey Dave 

Not sure if you've tried this but - Thaila's are designed to be attached from underneath the neck, rather than from the top.

It's MUCH easier to change them if you flip it around and mount it from below  (...That sounds kind of kinky don't it...)

anyways,  it kind of fits the contour of your hand if you do it that way, and it's much easier to do fast key changes too.

Edited by kidblast

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

Hey Dave 

Not sure if you've tried this but - Thaila's are designed to be attached from underneath the neck, rather than from the top.

It's MUCH easier to change them if you flip it around and mount it from below  (...That sounds kind of kinky don't it...)

anyways,  it kind of fits the contour of your hand if you do it that way, and it's much easier to do fast key changes too.

Yes I know. My old hands don't have the grip to open them in that position. I've been having tendon issues in my hands and had one of them operated on this past winter so hopefully my golf game can get back to mediocre. I haven't used the Thalia since I've got it.  It is built nice and has the popular fret board interchangeable pads. I have the 12" radius on it. The spring tension adjustment on the D'Addario  is working good for me.

17 hours ago, Dave F said:

Yes I know. My old hands don't have the grip to open them in that position. I've been having tendon issues in my hands and had one of them operated on this past winter so hopefully my golf game can get back to mediocre. I haven't used the Thalia since I've got it.  It is built nice and has the popular fret board interchangeable pads. I have the 12" radius on it. The spring tension adjustment on the D'Addario  is working good for me.

Got ya!  

good luck on the golf game,  it's almost time to be able to get out again here in central Mass.