Gibson Brands Forums

What do you think of the Theodore?

Twang Gang

27 minutes ago, pohatu771 said:

I spent some time with one yesterday.

I really liked it.

The body shape, and the incredibly light weight, make it different than an SG Special or Les Paul Special despite the similar electronics. I didn't have another Custom Shop VOS model to make a direct comparison, only Gibson USA standard versions, so I can't say what might have been influenced by the particular pickups or body woods, but It was a very fun guitar to play.

I'm not in the position to buy a $5000 guitar, but if there was a $2000 Gibson USA version with standard gloss finish, I'd buy one in an instant.

I'm glad to hear someone has gone to the trouble of checking it out. 👍

But even for $2k....there's not enough there.  The body looks like a typical 1st time home-build guitar IMO (and also a Tokai Talbo).

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, jdgm said:

I'm glad to hear someone has gone to the trouble of checking it out. 👍

But even for $2k....there's not enough there.  The body looks like a typical 1st time home-build guitar IMO (and also a Tokai Talbo).

An Original Collection Les Paul Special is $1700, and an SG Special is $1600. Those have the benefit of using the same mahogany that they use for most other models. Smaller batches of alder and walnut, plus what I'm assuming is still going to be a limited run, makes $2,000 about right.

Offer all three of these with the same woods, and I'd be torn between the SG Special or the Theodore.

I don’t care for it..

I’d much rather see a reissue of a 65 Firebird VII with Maestro & all Gold hardware that is reasonably priced…. Now that would be of interest to me..

Like the one Brian Jones is playing in this YouTube…..

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, pohatu771 said:

If they're reissuing The Log, they should at least give it an Epiphone neck as it started off with.

Well that was a joke really... I dont think its a guitar they  should copy..  Well I kinda hope not, it probably plays like sh*t

Edited by Rabs

40 minutes ago, pohatu771 said:

I agree that the original EB-1 is ugly. They did make an Epiphone version in the 90s, though. Has there ever been a modern Gibson reissue?

They certainly made one for Jack Bruce in the 90s or early 2k. 

Edited by jdgm

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to merciful-evans for posting that nice pic of a Rickenbacker Combo 450.    Actually, that Ric was on the market in early 1956, almost a year earlier than the date on McCarty's drawing.  Ted was indeed an extraordinary innovator...why then did he basically copy a competitor's design that was already in production and on sale?   By all accounts Ted was very active in the music business overall - he was president of NAMM at one point, was at every NAMM convention twice a year, and seemed to be very aware of what others in the business were doing. It's just unimaginable that he wouldn't have seen Ric's design!  Might be a reasonable speculation that this is why the "Theodore" didn't go into production then, while the explorer and Flying V did.

Edited by guitarsetc264

On 3/19/2022 at 4:57 PM, jdgm said:

The body looks like a typical 1st time home-build guitar IMO (and also a Tokai Talbo).

This sums the whole topic nicely!  Nobody can be as accurate as that, outside of maybe "10th grade woodshop project".

• Thanks 1