Gibson Brands Forums

Love my Bass's . . . . . .

mihcmac

When I was 14  a strangely compelling Tiesco Bass hanging on the in a music store, I had been playing the guitar for about 2 years at this time, but had no idea about Bass playing. I bought the Tiesco on time using my lunch money, the moment I walked out of the store with it, some friends saw it and asked if I wanted to join their band. 2 days later we were playing a frat party gig.

I have always played guitar, but sometimes I would get distracted by a beautiful Bass like this Guild Starfire below and tended to only play Bass in original music bands that tended to be very progressive.

guild-sf-bass-2-blnd-1974-cons-full-fron

I have had several Bass's but still dream about this Guild.

I got paid more often for playing Jazz, Rock, Blues or Country Bass.

My main problem playing Bass is that I have always been a decent guitar player and I would get distracted by my latest 6-string purchase.

I just recently bought my First Yamaha, a TRBX 174 that is very well balanced, plays wonderful and its P & J pickups sound killer, so much so that my Bass player can't keep his hands off of it and is buying it from me.

?image=aHR0cHM6Ly9tLm1lZGlhLWFtYXpvbi5jb

I know there are  a lot of other people who play Bass in this forum and I would like to see your favorites.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Thanks 1

I did quite a lot of bass gigs - back in the day I had a fine 70s Fender P bass that had been stripped.  That was when bass strings cost less than £10 -12 a set!!

I still have a nice Squier Jazz bass from the late 80s.   Here's a 2013 pic; bridge pickup is a cheap EMG Select.   Long-gone Aerodyne Strat on the left (not a very good guitar) and my modded System III Strat on the right.   A good-sounding, long scale bass guitar is a necessary thing for me to this day!

These days I use it to teach my single remaining bass student, every 2-3 weeks. 

NFenders3.jpg

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

I really came in here to find out about your bass's what.  Realized it was about your basses.  :rolleyes:

But seriously, I'd occasionally play around with any of our bass players' instruments,  but never considered playing one exclusive.   And though they can be challenging to play in a way, it's a challenge that's fun to tackle.   And I certainly have high regard for bass players who excel at the instrument. 

Whitefang

• Like 2

1982 Gibson Victory (11.5 lbs!)

1983 Fender Precision, pewter turning green. Pickup rewound by our own Searcy a few years back. Pickguard is Fender but not original to the guitar. Same strings since 2002 I think.

1981 mystery bass

q7S261r.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks guys for sharing your Basses..

Bass's or Basses I just liked the look of Bass's better..

When I got out of the military in the early 70's I realized there was a ton of really good guitarists competing for top dog, so breaking into a new music scene I picked up this Kalamazoo SG Bass that I modified heavily for a while and played through an Ampeg 15" Fliptop but realized the Fliptop wasn't going to cut it. So I got the SVT below which could double for any guitar work I wanted to do. I had an Aria LP (a lawsuit guitar) that sounded killer over it.

eyMYXmr.jpg

Later I replaced the Kalamazoo with a Telecaster Bass

FOqTFHX.png

Ampeg was my choice for Guitar or Bass quite a while after the SVT.

I did have a Silverface Bassman 100 with a 4X12 Wedge cabinet for quite a while that was a really solid workhorse and mixed in a a few other amps at times.

Then I got Into Bi-Amping and mixing different amps and cabinets, I  really liked mixing in a GK 250ML for the Bi-Amped high-end with effects driven by a Crate B150 15" combo with Bi-Amping to a Peavey 200w power amp driving an 18" Black Widow.

I really want to see more of the Basses in your collections..

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 3:02 PM, jdgm said:

I did quite a lot of bass gigs - back in the day I had a fine 70s Fender P bass that had been stripped.  That was when bass strings cost less than £10 -12 a set!!

And here is the evidence...jdgm in about 1978....gawd.  What a poser!  But I had this nice Precision with a Peavey transistor head and 1 x 15" cab - that was a good setup.

me-on-bass.jpg

About them rings....I was left 2 signet rings when my Dad died in late 1977.  They only fitted my little fingers. This was years before pinkie rings became (allegedly) a sign of your er, sexuality.   See the guitarist's hand?  

I don't wear any rings, watch or jewelry these days.   But the only thing I really miss in this pic is....my hair.  Dammit.

I had lunch with the drummer last week, who is now 70 and has Parkinson's disease.   A true fighter.

More bass please!!

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 2

On 6/19/2022 at 7:27 AM, Whitefang said:

I really came in here to find out about your bass's what.  Realized it was about your basses.  :rolleyes:

Whitefang

What was the basis for your initial impression? Sorry, couldn't resist.

I have an Ibanez cheapo bass that was basically going to form the base of my recording habit.

I use a synthetic plug-in instead and will sell the Ibanez. It's pretty cool, especially for the $150 price tag though. Plays well and is short scale for my little hands.

• Like 1

Wow some really  nice  Basses in here.....

My last Bass gig at the Akebono Theater in 2008 playing my Schecter....

UcZpqX9.jpg?1

When I first started playing speed metal bass in 90's I used a flat pick, then I found I could play faster and more consistently picking with my fingers.

Edited by mihcmac

Nice! I can play bass, too. I have 3 basses at the moment. A 2003 U.S.A. Fender Highway 1 Jazz Bass, a 2014 M.I.M Fender Jazz Bass that I upgraded with a tortoise shell pickguard and DiMarzio Model J pickups, and a 2019 M.I.M Fender Precision Bass that I just recently upgraded with a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound P-Bass pickup and a Puretone jack.  Also, I always upgrade to straplocks no matter what. I use Dunlop's. I do have a couple of guitars with the DiMarzio's, too. For a bass amp, I have an old Peavey TNT 150 with built in chorus. I'd love to have an Ampeg one day, but this is serving me very well right now.  Great amp!
kt3nNxS.jpg
a6aNG5Z.jpg
DwppU6M.jpg
VSCxkAg.jpg

• Like 2

The most popular in here seem to be the Jazz and P-Basses, which seems logical as their pickups set the standard for many other basses. I had a couple of Squire P-Basses but the most memorable was a 59 P-Bass I had in the late 80's, something about its comfortable neck and balance. 

I think my most uncomfortable Bass was my Mosrite with really bad neck dive, but it sounded really good. I played it sitting down in a store and thought it was incredible, but that night at band practice I had a constant fight to keep the neck up. So I traded it in on my Guild Starfire.

Product shot of my Dean bass that I have kept as a backup. The neck bowed a few weeks after I brought it home, I was able to adjust it nice and flat, then the low frets started to buzz. I noticed the sting slots in the nut went all the way down to the fingerboard so I had to shim the nut to get them high enough. It plays great now good balance and weight, not bad for an inexpensive bass, but my Yamaha with its P & J pickups has a much wider tone range.

BnRR1jU.jpg

Edited by mihcmac