Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Cat Stevens J-180 Collector's Edition

Leonard McCoy

20 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Not really. You just have to have a profession that affords you the money to buy such a "steal", in the hopes you can price gouge the next guy on the used market to turn a profit. 

would love to see the "sales" charts on these in 12 months..

Not sure why folks complain. If you don’t like the looks, don’t buy it. If you feel the price is too steep, don’t buy it. If you don’t like Gibsons, go somewhere else. If you think you know better than Gibson, buy the company or start your own guitar company. Or drop them an email telling them what they’re doing wrong. I’m sure they’d love to hear from you. I’m also sure your email will make James Curleigh put down his spreadsheets, market research reports, etc., and say, “By gum, the email IS RIGHT! We’re doing it all wrong.”

Folks are making life harder than it already is.

3 hours ago, dhanners623 said:

Not sure why folks complain. 

Because this is a discussion forum, where people share their opinions. Some of them might be different from yours.

Edited by Boyd
  • Thanks 1

Good to see that the people here that like Gibson acoustic guitars are not so drunk on the Gibson Kool-Aid that they are unable to comment when they wonder what was Gibson thinking. Many of those old enough to be long time followers of Cat Stevens probably have disposable income for this guitar.

Wake up, little Susie- say what you will about the look of the guitar, call him a sensitive singer-songwriter, but Cat Stevens choice of guitar may have made more people stop, look, and listen.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Leonard McCoy said:

Not really liking the sound of these at all. Maybe it's that funky bridge, seems like it gives it a kind of plinky, percussive sound. Nothing like my J-185. 

For anyone wondering, this reimagination of Cat's guitar does not feature, despite having the period-correct bridge and neck, the shallow waist depth the original Gibson Everly was introduced with in 1962 (4.375") and which Cat's 1960's vintage original certainly shares. The dimensions of the new model are ca. 16.02" wide and 4.88" deep at the waist, which is standard J-185 or J-180 (reintroduced specs) fare.

MXM1Ff1.jpg

UKecfAa.jpg

qyHeHxE.jpg

VVhfOAd.jpg

Edited by Leonard McCoy

On 7/2/2022 at 1:21 AM, dhanners623 said:

Not sure why folks complain. If you don’t like the looks, don’t buy it. If you feel the price is too steep, don’t buy it. If you don’t like Gibsons, go somewhere else. If you think you know better than Gibson, buy the company or start your own guitar company. Or drop them an email telling them what they’re doing wrong. I’m sure they’d love to hear from you. I’m also sure your email will make James Curleigh put down his spreadsheets, market research reports, etc., and say, “By gum, the email IS RIGHT! We’re doing it all wrong.”

Folks are making life harder than it already is.

It really drives you nuts that you can’t control what other people say, doesn’t it?

On 6/30/2022 at 10:29 AM, kidblast said:

You'd have to REALLY like Cat Steven's to go $7.5K on something that fugly.

Don’t forget to factor in an extra few hundred dollars to have the adjustable bridge converted when it arrives..,  😂

Edited by Tim Tim

I don't know anything about this model, but I have a 2020 J-50 60's original with the adjustable bridge and it sounds great. I also have a real 1965 J-50 ADJ and these new adjustable bridges/guitars sound completely different (mostly due to different internal construction without a big plate under the bridge). I would not make any assumptions about the sound of the new models with adjustable bridges unless you have actually tried one. Have you?

12 hours ago, RvrDxn said:

What is the Yusuf/Cat Stevens business? Does he have two stage names?

3 - his real name is Steven Demetre Georgiou. His dad was Greek I believe. Not sure if he ever used his real name when he first started out.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tim Tim said:

Don’t forget to factor in an extra few hundred dollars to have the adjustable bridge converted when it arrives..,  😂

And it has a Instrument Passport. I had to renew mine a few years back and its a lot of $. Plus stickers, a polishing cloth, enamel pins, a COA, and don't forget the silk screened "CAT" on the case. All increasing the price and adding to the experience of buying an already overpriced guitar. And it already has onboard electronics that you may not want.