Gibson Brands Forums

You know you are getting old when........

Rabs

On 9/5/2022 at 9:44 AM, Whitefang said:

Or GOLD BELL and TOP VALUE stamps.

And perhaps saved the coupons from Raleigh or Newport cigarettes.  [wink]

Whitefang

The grammar school I went to in the late 50s  had an annual 'Coupon Drive'.  We kids were expected to go door to door in our neighborhoods to ask folks to donate any coupons they had been saving.  Ciggy Butt coupons were popular.   Many products had coupons on the package - from cereal to soup.    We also had to go door to door later in the school year- to sell candy.    I guess it built character.   Sort of reverse 'Trick or Treat'ing !   A different time. 

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

I can't remember the last time I saw a 'Pay Phone'.     I've heard they sell them on EBay  - the fancy chrome plated ones.  

Hell.  ALL phones are pay phones.  Just not for each call.  [wink] 

Had a neighbor in Detroit who whenever she needed to make a call she'd use the pay phone on the corner which was "catty-corner" from her apartment building.  Someone finally talked her into getting a phone in her place.  After two months she had it taken out.  Seems she was spending LESS each month making calls from the pay phone than she was paying for the phone in her home! 

Another "getting old" thing....

When you remember wrapping foil at the ends of your TV's "rabbit ears"!  [wink]

image.png.3bdc2986c8fcb5d60ea80a7b43ee3000.png

Whitefang

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Another "getting old" thing....

When you remember wrapping foil at the ends of your TV's "rabbit ears"!  [wink]

image.png.3bdc2986c8fcb5d60ea80a7b43ee3000.png

Whitefang

Heckle, I remember our family being the first on our block to get a TV.

Then out came the tinted lens.

• Haha 1

When you finally test negative for COVID after almost three weeks.

So you go pick some figs and get stung on the nose by a white faced hornet and you stagger back a few steps and hit the deck like you've been hit by Mike Tyson.  And, in that moment, you forget about COVID.

Nothing's easy anymore.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, CROWB8 said:

As a child, I was the remote for my parents........

Yeah.  Most kids were.  [wink]  And if the knob got broken somehow then you had to change the channel with a pair of pliers.  🥴

1 hour ago, Notes_Norton said:

When you find out that if you had kept your Mickey Mantle baseball card, instead of clipping it to the fork of your bike, so the spokes made a 'motor' sound, it would be worth a fortune today.

As a Tiger fan, I couldn't have cared less about Mantle.  But I did foolishly ruin a few AL KALINE rookie cards that way.  [blink]

Whitefang

• Like 2

When you still call recording a show on DVR, "Taping it."

When you remember trying to watch "scrambled" HBO channels late night, without the HBO box, hoping to see a naked lady

When you remember how the curly extra long, kitchen wall phone handset cord could literally be lethal.

When you know what a "metal tipped lawn jart" is, and actually played with them.

When your grade school teachers all had "paddles" hanging in their classrooms, and they routinely used them.

When leaded gasoline was called "Regular", and unleaded was "ethel".

When nearly all of your grade school fiends had .22 rifles, bricks of ammo, and carried them openly to the woods to "plink" without ever shooting anyone.

When the only four cylinder car on the road was a V8 with four dead cylinders.

Edited by Sheepdog1969
typo

3 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

When you still call recording a show on DVR, "Taping it."

When you remember trying to watch "scrambled" HBO channels late night, without the HBO box, hoping to see a naked lady

When you remember how the curly extra long, kitchen wall phone handset cord could literally be lethal.

When you know what a "metal tipped lawn jart" is, and actually played with them.

When your grade school teachers all had "paddles" hanging in their classrooms, and they routinely used them.

When leaded gasoline was called "Regular", and unleaded was "ethel".

When nearly all of your grade school fiends had .22 rifles, bricks of ammo, and carried them openly to the woods to "plink" without ever shooting anyone.

When the only four cylinder car on the road was a V8 with four dead cylinders.

1.  Yep, but you need not be that old to do that.  In fact, nobody had the ability to tape anything until the advent of the home video recorder which first came available in the betamax format and not until I was 30.  And even now, 20+ years since the advent of mobile phones, and 50+ years since push button phones were developed, we still say we're "dialing" the phone.  My cell phone now even after I go to my "contacts"and highlight the number I wish to call,  I'll push the "send" button and the screen will tell me it's "dialing" that number.

2.  Trying to watch "scrambled" cable channels isn't something that goes back that far, especially to someone who's old.  I'm 71 and live in an area that didn't get cable until I was 31.  And at my age 40 years really isn't that long ago.

3.  That coiled phone line was also often used by Moms to whip some poor kid's ***.

4.  Lawn darts("jarts")  never became widespread until I was in my 20's.  I never played with 'em.

5.  None of my grade school teachers had paddles.  Most resorted to rulers or those malicious black rubber tipped "pointers".   However, my kid's grade school teachers had 'em.  I never saw a teacher use one until Jr. high.

6.  Actually,  "Ethyl"  is what premium gasoline was called back in my Dad's day.  Called that because of the tetraethyl lead added to             the gasoline that improved octane.  First on the market in the mid 1920's until the mid '70's when lead in all  gas was removed. 

7.  The only grade schoo kid that had any kind of gun was a kid named(I kid you not) Paul Neumann (prononced like the actor)                       whose Dad gave him a 20 gauge shotgun that he was only allowed to handle when him and his Dad went duck hunting.  All the rest of the kids just had bb guns.  Except me.  [sad]

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang

7 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

...If you ever used one of these:

yOhfg8s.jpg

And, yes, I have used the one in the photo. But, probably 50 years after it was considered obsolete.

Moved into an old house in the 60s. Found one in the attic. Dad hooked it up and ga e it a crank. Operator answered and said every light on her switch board lit up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, gearbasher said:

...If you ever used one of these:

yOhfg8s.jpg

And, yes, I have used the one in the photo. But, probably 50 years after it was considered obsolete.

I recognize the top part as a shower head...  what do the letters and numbers do without buttons?   Spell out 'Hot'  or  'Cold'   Gallons ? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Notes_Norton said:

When you grew up in a house that didn't have air conditioning, and didn't know anyone who had AC in their house.

Notes ♫

I bought my first house in '73.  It was one of those  story and 1/2 houses found all over post war suburbia.  And the half story was of course finished off to be an additional bedroom with knotty pine wood over all the walls.

Anyway, there was an old A/C unit  in one of the windows that looked to be as old as the house(built in 1948) .  Damn thing never did work when we had it.    And it weighed far more than window A/C units of the day did.  When my firstborn was old enough we moved her up there to change her room into her new sister's room in '75.  That old A/C was so heavy me and the guy who helped me decided to just push it out the window and let it drop instead of wrestling it down the steps. 

The first time I encountered "central air"  was in '69 when I went to our keys players house one steamy July afternoon and walked into a house that felt like a meat locker.  His Dad, who was the city's electrical inspector and owned a residential/commercial  electrical contracting business put it in.    Personally, I never got around to having central air until the early 21st century.  [wink]

20 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

You know you're getting old when you nit pick jokes on online forums, pointing out technical inaccuracies and/or references that don't coincide  with your own life experiences. (mic drop)

You know you're getting old when under  educated punks, younger than your children,  try to talk about getting old by making erroneous references to the past.  [wink]

But then, some here might recall when as kids, we'd often hear the grown ups having these types of conversations at family gatherings  [biggrin]

Dig...  That's Marty Feldman  on the right, isn't it?

Whitefang

On 8/16/2022 at 9:33 AM, Whitefang said:

When you can remember the only three television networks used to "sign off" at midnight.

Whitefang

Does anyone remember?

When new years eve was the only time that didnt happen.

Staying up till midnight just to watch KING KONG!!!!!

-----------

Or was just a local thing where I was. Anyone else?????

Edited by CROWB8
  • Like 1