Gibson Brands Forums

You know you are getting old when........

Rabs

13 hours ago, CROWB8 said:

Does anyone remember?

When new years eve was the only time that didnt happen.

Staying up till midnight just to watch KING KONG!!!!!

-----------

Or was just a local thing where I was. Anyone else?????

Sure.  Could be that different localities handled it their own way.  One channel in my locality(metro Detroit) would have a show featuring different local music acts among other guests.  On the New year show for 1963-1964 it had new heavyweight contender CASSIUS CLAY(later Muhammad Ali) do some of his poetry mocking then champ Sonny Liston, who he would be fighting the next month(Feb 25).  One line stuck with me...

"Who would have thought folks would spend their money/ To watch the total eclipse of the Sonny!"  [wink]

Stating up till midnight to see "King Kong"?  Ach, well saw it so many times as a kid on Saturday afternoons that I might have gave it a pass on New Year's.  

12 hours ago, gearbasher said:

I remember they would show  "King Kong" and "Mighty Joe Young" every Thanksgiving. 

Don't know when or where that was, but for many years a local station would show Christmas themed movies after the big J.L.Hudson's Thanksgiving parade. (J.L. Hudson's was the big Macy's type Department store in Downtown Detroit  until 1984)

It was when I first saw movies like "Miracle On 34th Street", "It's A Wonderful Life"  and the 1951 British movie "Scrooge" starring Alistair Sim as Ebeneezer Scrooge. And my favorite version of "A Christmas Carol".  The only non-Christmas film they showed every year for several years was a French film called "The Red Balloon".   By the '70's they gave up showing any programming with a Christmas theme after the parade.  I remember one year(in the early '90's) the station showed "Jurassic  Park" after the parade.  [blink]

Whitefang

58 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Don't know when or where that was, but for many years a local station would show Christmas themed movies after the big J.L.Hudson's Thanksgiving parade. (J.L. Hudson's was the big Macy's type Department store in Downtown Detroit  until 1984)

I

Whitefang

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holiday_Film_Festival

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gearbasher said:

You know you getting old if you know what these are. Bonus points (get it?) if you still use them.

Gfguxub.jpg

Mrs. Notes has a 1978 Jeep CJ5 that she bought brand new - special order.

It still runs like a top, the AMC motor just won't die and she hasn't had car payments since 1983.

So does she get double points?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, gearbasher said:

You know you getting old if you know what these are. Bonus points (get it?) if you still use them.

Gfguxub.jpg

Points?  Condenser?   for an ignition system before they became 'electronic' ?    

(edit:   Aaaah...  just got the 'clue'  bonus 'points')     Have to disqualify my guess - it may  have been subliminally affected !) 

Edited by fortyearspickn

11 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Points?  Condenser?   for an ignition system before they became 'electronic' ?    

(edit:   Aaaah...  just got the 'clue'  bonus 'points')     Have to disqualify my guess - it may  have been subliminally affected !) 

I never disqualify anyone. I bought a kit to convert my car to electronic ignition. I just couldn't do it. I'm still using points.

My old Fiat 124 Spider had two sets of points. One, advanced, for when the engine was cold, and it switched to another when the engine got hot.

I loved that car. The fastest I drove it was 135mph. The tach yellow lined at 135, speedometer went to 140, but I was running out of straight road.

Mechanically it wasn't bad, but the electrical system of that car gave me a lot of trouble.

---------

You know you are getting old when you remember lunch counters in drug stores where you get a cup of coffee for a dime, and you left the waitress a quarter for a tip.

• Haha 1

As I'm typing this, they are milling the street in front of my house for repaving. That brought back a memory. Before the asphalt they are using now, the streets were paved with a different substance. I remember we would slam on the coaster brakes of our bikes, locking up the rear wheel, and you would get a really loud screech out of it. When they went to the new stuff, you couldn't do it anymore. I feel bad for the kids today.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

You know you are getting old when you remember lunch counters in drug stores where you get a cup of coffee for a dime, and you left the waitress a quarter for a tip.

Really, we all know the quarter was left to cover the cost of the coffee AND the tip.  [wink]  And speaking of lunch counters...

I remember the one in the  S.S. Kresge store where they had those fabulous apple dumplings covered in that dee-licious sauce made from vanilla pudding.  😛

As the K Mart chain was evolved from the Kresge company, their "snack bars" carried on that apple dumpling tradition.  I'd get a laugh from the counter women when I worked there and ordered a dumpling with my lunch and tell 'em. "And don't forget to pour that chicken gravy  over it." [wink]   Once, one of them told me, "You better watch yo' self .  One day one of us just might pour chicken gravy on it."   [laugh]

Whitefang

9 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

As I'm typing this, they are milling the street in front of my house for repaving. That brought back a memory. Before the asphalt they are using now, the streets were paved with a different substance. I remember we would slam on the coaster brakes of our bikes, locking up the rear wheel, and you would get a really loud screech out of it. When they went to the new stuff, you couldn't do it anymore. I feel bad for the kids today.

Hell, as a kid I lived on a dirt road.  In downriver Detroit that was basically an unpaved road routinely sprayed with some kind of oil to keep the dust down.   Playing in the street was discouraged by parents not because of any danger from passing cars, but to keep us from tracking that oil into the house.  I do recall the "excitement" of sitting on our porch, or on the grassy part between the street and the sidewalk in front of our house to watch them pave that road .  That was 1956 and a fascinating thing to see for a five year old.  [wink]

Whitefang

31 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Hell, as a kid I lived on a dirt road.  In downriver Detroit that was basically an unpaved road routinely sprayed with some kind of oil to keep the dust down.   Playing in the street was discouraged by parents not because of any danger from passing cars, but to keep us from tracking that oil into the house.  I do recall the "excitement" of sitting on our porch, or on the grassy part between the street and the sidewalk in front of our house to watch them pave that road .  That was 1956 and a fascinating thing to see for a five year old.  [wink]

Whitefang

If they dug that street up today, it would probably become an EPA Superfund Site.

Edited by gearbasher
  • Haha 1

On 9/13/2022 at 11:13 AM, Whitefang said:

Really, we all know the quarter was left to cover the cost of the coffee AND the tip.  [wink]  And speaking of lunch counters...

I remember the one in the  S.S. Kresge store where they had those fabulous apple dumplings covered in that dee-licious sauce made from vanilla pudding.  😛

As the K Mart chain was evolved from the Kresge company, their "snack bars" carried on that apple dumpling tradition.  I'd get a laugh from the counter women when I worked there and ordered a dumpling with my lunch and tell 'em. "And don't forget to pour that chicken gravy  over it." [wink]   Once, one of them told me, "You better watch yo' self .  One day one of us just might pour chicken gravy on it."   [laugh]

Whitefang

While gigging at a restaurant, the owner gave us free lunches.

So we'd come in for a late lunch, set up our gear, and the play the dinner set before we cranked it up.

I'd usually get the cheeseburger. It was big, never frozen, and delicious. I like my burgers well done. One waiter used to tease me about that so after a while I asked for a blackened burger, to imply well done.

New cook on the line didn't understand and added all those Cajun spices to the burger, like they do to make blackened chicken. It tasted pretty bad, but I ate it anyway and never used the word "blackened" again to imply well done.

Back on topic

You know you are old when you remember putting a quarter into a vending machine to get a pack of cigarettes and the pack came with a penny taped to it, because the price was 24 cents.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Notes_Norton said:

While gigging at a restaurant, the owner gave us free lunches.

So we'd come in for a late lunch, set up our gear, and the play the dinner set before we cranked it up.

I'd usually get the cheeseburger. It was big, never frozen, and delicious. I like my burgers well done. One waiter used to tease me about that so after a while I asked for a blackened burger, to imply well done.

New cook on the line didn't understand and added all those Cajun spices to the burger, like they do to make blackened chicken. It tasted pretty bad, but I ate it anyway and never used the word "blackened" again to imply well done.

Back on topic

You know you are old when you remember putting a quarter into a vending machine to get a pack of cigarettes and the pack came with a penny taped to it, because the price was 24 cents.

Sorry.  Can't abide with burgers or steak well done.  But it depends on where I get 'em from.  I prefer medium, but some places make their "medium" close to raw.  And if for some reason I can't avoid those places I just ask for well. 

And I used to get those quarter cigarette packs at the same gas station that would near fill my tank for $5.00  at a quarter per gallon.  [wink]

And you know you're getting old when your children, or your friend's children become Grandparents!  😵  My daughters opted to not have children, so it's not in my wheelhouse except that my oldest daughter's best friend has a daughter whose son just became a Grandpa.

Whitefang