Gibson Brands Forums

Something I Just Learned

Sgt. Pepper

Everyone knows (most everyone) Paul is a lefty, but I never knew Ringo was too, and he plays a right handed kit. Someone told me that other day. I looked it up, and yep he was right.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

How about that.  Never knew that either.  But the right-handed kit doesn't surprise me as we already know there are/were several left handed people who played guitar right-handed.   Glen Campbell is the only one I can come up with at the moment.  [wink]

Oh, and me too.  [cool]

Whitefang

Just now, brad1 said:

Duane Allman and Gary Moore were both left handed and played guitar right handed.

Me thinks there are more ppl out there like that.

I'm a lefty and play RH guits. Growing up in the 60s, 70s, there weren't a lot of lefty guits produced.  I started out sneaking into the practice room at 12yo, playing my older cousins SG that was RH. I've seen clips on youtube of some who play lefty, but use a RH guit thats still strung right handed. That's odd to see.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Jimi Hendrix was a lefty using a right handed guitar (usually a Strat) in case anyone didn't know.

Apparently not.. He was right handed but learned to play left as a way to make himself stand out more (thats what I heard anyway).

Edited by Rabs

1 minute ago, CROWB8 said:

I believe they were strung for a lefty, so.....

Yes. 

I think I read and know that Reggae legend Jimmy Cliff plays left handed, but just uses a right handed guitar but plays it lefty, and leaves the strings how a righty would string it.

Didn't Albert King do that too?

I'm right-handed and play a right-handed instrument. But, I always wondered, if you're right-handed your right hand would be more dexterous. So, why don't right-handed people fret with their right hand and strum with the left? The fretting takes more dexterity.

• Like 2

I was a product of stereo typing in the 60s. School teacher asked me if I looked like my father (brown hair LH) or mother (blonde RH). Told her father. Hence I was taught to write LH. Consiconsequently, writing, eating, fine dexterity tasks, I do as a lefty. But *most all sports, I do as a righty. 

Edited by CROWB8

5 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Apparently not.. He was right handed but learned to play left as a way to make himself stand out more (thats what I heard anyway).

Yeah I just looked and it said he was ambidextrous, but learned to strum with his left hand.

2 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

I'm right-handed and play a right-handed instrument. But, I always wondered, if you're right-handed your right hand would be more dexterous. So, why don't right-handed people fret with their right hand and strum with the left? The fretting takes more dexterity.

Always thought the same as well.

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Everyone knows (most everyone) Paul is a lefty, but I never knew Ringo was too, and he plays a right handed kit. Someone told me that other day. I looked it up, and yep he was right.

Yep!

Fact: if a left-handed person sees someone drop $20, it's not yet known whether he or she is more likely to return it or pocket it, because  I believe no studies have been done on it.

Yeah yeah okay, bedtime for me...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gearbasher said:

Maybe, what about finger pickers? The right does a lot of work when doing that.

24 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Fact: if a left-handed person sees someone drop $20, it's not yet known whether he or she is more likely to return it or pocket it, because  I believe no studies have been done on it.

Yeah yeah okay, bedtime for me...

Sweden should commission a study and you should take the lead in this.

Ringo credits his unorthodox style to the fact that he plays a right handed kit as a lefty. His grandmother thought left-handedness was caused by the devil or some nonsense and forced him to do everything right handed.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, saturn said:

Ringo credits his unorthodox style to the fact that he plays a right handed kit as a lefty. His grandmother thought left-handedness was caused by the devil or some nonsense and forced him to do everything right handed.

My older sister was forced to write with her right hand by the nuns in Catholic School. 

10 hours ago, gearbasher said:

My life experience disagrees strongly with this.

I'm left handed, very left handed, but they weren't no left handed guitars laying around for me to pick up at age 11.  So I played right handed.

At the tender age of about 23 I realized that my greatest weakness, contrary to what everyone told me, was my picking.  I literally started over, practicing and focusing and building my right hand into the picking/strumming/harmonicsing/muting/wang barring machine it became in another five years or so.  Attack and dynamics all start back there.  A weak picking hand shows under the stress of high volumes and too much gain, a place I am all too familiar with.

So you kids listen to yer oldsters.  It most definitely takes two hands working together, with equal dexterity, to make one of these confounded guitars work.

Finish your vegetables and go practice.  You'll thank me some day.

rct

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gearbasher said:

My older sister was forced to write with her right hand by the nuns in Catholic School. 

I’m left handed but play Guitar right handed.. I only had access to right handed Guitars so that’s what I learned to play..

In my early School days my Teacher smacked my hand with a wooden Ruler trying to force me to write right handed. I would try to write right handed but I would write from right to left on the paper backwards.. You’d have to hold up to a mirror to read it.. . My Teacher thought I was smarting off to him & hit me harder. I told my Dad.. My Dad was 6’ 3” & was about 220 lbs.. He was a WWII Army Vet. He went to the School & told them to stop or there would be a serious problem.. They stopped…

Those were different times… I remember being told that left handed people were the mark of the Devil….

• Like 1