Gibson Brands Forums

Something I Just Learned

Sgt. Pepper

23 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

We didn't have that in our school. Maybe because our nuns belonged to a different order.   Wonder what the Jesuits did? 

I went to Public School & they beat my Left Hand with a Wooden Ruler… It was a different time…

Edited by Larsongs

5 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I went to Public School & they beat my Left Hand with a Wooden Ruler… It was a different time…

At my first secondary school (high school) I was cained on the behind with a bamboo stick..  In the second school it was a ruler across the knuckles..  At least weekly if not daily.

1 minute ago, Rabs said:

At my first secondary school (high school) I was cained on the behind with a bamboo stick..  In the second school it was a ruler across the knuckles..  At least weekly if not daily.

Back in those days all the Teachers & Principals had devices for Corporal Punishment & used them. I had my fair share..

In 6th Grade I had a Teacher by the name of Mr. Stammerjohn… A real Asshole! He hated me.. One day while I was made to stay in the Room while all the other kids went to recess.  He said something to me that I didn’t like.. I said something back.. He came at me & I started running around the room… He caught up to me & kicked me in the back & laid me out.. He threatened to do worse if I ever said anything…

My Dad went to visit him.. I never knew for sure what happened. My Dad probably beat the crap out of him. After his visit I didn’t go back to that School… Those we’re different times.. 

8 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Back in those days all the Teachers & Principals had devices for Corporal Punishment & used them. I had my fair share..

In 6th Grade I had a Teacher by the name of Mr. Stammerjohn… A real Asshole! He hated me.. One day while I was made to stay in the Room while all the other kids went to recess.  He said something to me that I didn’t like.. I said something back.. He came at me & I started running around the room… He caught up to me & kicked me in the back & laid me out.. He threatened to do worse if I ever said anything…

My Dad went to visit him.. I never knew for sure what happened. My Dad probably beat the crap out of him. After his visit I didn’t go back to that School… Those we’re different times.. 

Damn..  No I dont think we ever had a teacher do that.. As it was I think I was one of the last to have the cane... They banned it not long after...  Still got rulered though...

56 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

We didn't have that in our school. Maybe because our nuns belonged to a different order.   Wonder what the Jesuits did? 

My parents were very religious Italian Catholics. If they heard that a nun punished you, you got it twice as bad at home. So, I was a good boy. Though I still consider myself a religious person, I'm totally disillusioned with the Catholic Church.

As far as the nuns that taught me and my siblings go, here's my theory:                                                                                                                                                                                                       They were probably missionaries in South America during the late '40 and the '50s. It was there that they got their training in the art of brain-washing and punishment from the Nazi war criminals that fled Germany after WWII.

I'm trying to come up with a connection between the Devil's alleged left-handedness and whether or not there is credible evidence that it's all linked to UK metal band Iron Maiden's album "The number of the beast" and the fact that they drive on the left hand side of the road in the UK.

Grant money appreciated.

3 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

As a finger picker myself, I'd go along with that. 

Over the past few years I have been doing stuff with my acoustics, or any guitar I never ever used to do.  I never used to use a capo, or alternate tunings, or even attempt fingerpicking. I can't put those things on my fingers and thumb and pick (I tried), I have to do it au natural. It took me ages a year or so ago just to learn Blackbird. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

23 hours ago, CROWB8 said:

I believe they were strung for a lefty, so.....

Yeah.  No doubt Jimi restrung them.  So did a guy I knew in high school, a lefty playing lefty.

12 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

I’m left-handed.  Write and throw left.  Bat and play guitar right.  I finger pick 95% of the time.  Have no idea why I do things that way.   Life is full of questions and I have very few answers.

Yeah, that's me too.  [wink]

10 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I’m left handed but play Guitar right handed.. I only had access to right handed Guitars so that’s what I learned to play..

I've mentioned before that was the reason I learned to play right-handed too.   And probably the same for most left-handed guys playing righty.

16 hours ago, saturn said:

His grandmother thought left-handedness was caused by the devil or some nonsense

Paul Simon, another lefty who plays right-handed kind of joked about this sort of thing in a n S&G song, "A Simple Desultory Phillipic"....

""I've been Ayn Rand'd, nearly branded a communist 'cause I'm left handed...."   [cool]  Anyway....

This link will show the many great and famous people who were and are left-handed, but you'll have to scroll a long way down to get to the musicians.  Also many that are left-handed but play certain instruments right handed.

https://lefthand.fandom.com/wiki/Famous_left_handers

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang

I have a nephew who is left handed and he started to learn guitar in his late twenties or early thirties.  He plays left handed.  I told him perhaps it would be easier to learn right handed as the chording etc. would be done with the more dexterous hand.  He said he felt the strumming and picking was harder than forming chords and playing notes so stuck with left handed playing.  Ten years later or so he got into the ukulele fad and decided to learn that right handed.  I think either way is fairly difficult to learn guitar so whatever way you start out and practice the most that is how you will remain most comfortable.  I have to agree with RCT, that strumming and picking are very important and often not given enough attention.

On 7/17/2022 at 11:50 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

My son is a lefty, but plays guitar as a righty, and he batted right handed when he played baseball as a kid.

Im right handed only because i write right handed.   At least that's the hand the teacher put the pencil in my hand when I was a kid.   I broke my right arm twice and both times ended up writing everything left handed while in a cast.

I play a right handed guitar.

But i shoot basketball with either.  My junior year in high school the coach had me change to right hand to shoot free throws.  

I eat with my left and, drink left handed, putt (golf) left or right handed,  bat left or right handed, full golf swing right handed.   

I had a foreign languages teacher in high school that would write on the board with both hands at times, at the same time.   Freaky thing to see.

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Over the past few years I have been doing stuff with my acoustics, or any guitar I never ever used to do.  I never used to use a capo, or alternate tunings, or even attempt fingerpicking. I can't put those things on my fingers and thumb and pick (I tried), I have to do it au natural. It took me ages a year or so ago just to learn Blackbird. 

Good stuff. Opens up so much more...

I used a thumbpick early on. I still have a couple and can use them but most of the time the thumb is bare. 

I wish I had inherited my mothers nails. They were hard & strong. Mine break in a brisk wind. Her nails would have been great for flamenco. 

I do different tasks with different hands. Not sure if Jimmy was truly "ambidextrous".

Just so we know what we're talking about:

"Ambidextrousness, or ambidexterity, is sometimes called mixed-handedness, though the terms are slightly different. Ambidexterity is the ability to use either hand to skillfully perform tasks. Mixed-handedness is the tendency to use different hands for different tasks. It usually refers to preference, not skill."

https://www.healthline.com/health/ambidextrous

3 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I use a knife and fork left handed. My parents never tried to 'correct' this. 

My Mom didn't either.  Her(and my) Aunt Helen is the only other lefty in the family.  And she(Aunt Helen) noticed when I got a certain age that I was showing tendencies of being left-handed.  She came from a generation where that sort of thing was met with disapproval and all the stuff others here mentioned about trying to "correct" something that really wasn't wrong.  All their efforts failed on her, but it was so disturbing to her that she told my Mom that if she tried to change my being left-handed there would be hell to pay. "And I don't care that he's your son and not mine!"   [wink]  Aunt Helen was a great lady(as were all my Aunts on that side)   and my Mom had enough respect for her she let me go my own way.

As for knife and fork, well, when cutting meat(like a chop or steak or whatnot) I do hold the meat steady with the for in my right hand and saw at the meat with the knife in my left.  And as the fork is already stuck in the meat I've taken to, once the portion is cut,  picking up the morsel of meat, already on the fork , and moving it to my mouth with my right hand.  Instead of going through all that putting down the knife and switching the fork to my left hand and then eating it.  :rolleyes:  And then switching the fork to my right hand so I can cut another piece of meat.  Oy!

Whitefang

9 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

As for knife and fork, well, when cutting meat(like a chop or steak or whatnot) I do hold the meat steady with the for in my right hand and saw at the meat with the knife in my left.  And as the fork is already stuck in the meat I've taken to, once the portion is cut,  picking up the morsel of meat, already on the fork , and moving it to my mouth with my right hand.  Instead of going through all that putting down the knife and switching the fork to my left hand and then eating it.  :rolleyes:  And then switching the fork to my right hand so I can cut another piece of meat.  Oy!

Whitefang

oh yeah. swapping the utensils around would be annoying. Maybe also for dining companions! 

• Like 1

But y'know.....

My daughter still does that.  And she's right handed.  But holds her steak down with the fork in her left hand while she saws away at the steak with the knife in her right hand.   And then goes through the utensil swapping thing. I've tried for years to get her to do it otherwise, but to no avail.  And I noticed many other right handed people doing the same.

Whitefang

1 minute ago, Whitefang said:

But y'know.....

My daughter still does that.  And she's right handed.  But holds her steak down with the fork in her left hand while she saws away at the steak with the knife in her right hand.   And then goes through the utensil swapping thing. I've tried for years to get her to do it otherwise, but to no avail.  And I noticed many other right handed people doing the same.

Whitefang

I've never seen this. But I expect some university somewhere has done a study on this before now. 🙃