Gibson Brands Forums

Something a teacher has said that you remember to this day.

gearbasher

Just now, Whitefang said:

First, your biology teacher's name would have gotten me into trouble had he been my teacher.  Don Diego was the name of the aristocratic character who was secretly the people's avenger ZORRO on the old Disney show THE ADVENTURES OF ZORRO.  I'd probably find it hard to keep from asking him to wear his black mask to class, or how his manservant Bernardo is doing.  [wink]

The only maxim I remember given by a teacher was from my 11th grade English teacher Mrs. Walker, who was militantly pedantic about grammar.  It was from her I learned the phrase I've even used in here a couple of times;

"If you can't blind them with your brilliance,  then blind them with your BS."  She never did say what we knew the BS stood for.  After all, she was supposed to set an example. [wink]

Another thing I remember a teacher telling the class that me and all the boys in the class likely remember is when our 6th grade teacher, MISS Sutmeuller, the youngest teacher at Goodell school and who could easily pass as a "hottie" was mentioning for some reason how she liked nothing better than, "to jump out of a nice hot bath and quickly slip in between crisp, clean sheets.

At recess all we boys, all pushing 12 years of age and with all kinds of hormones beginning to stir, talked about the "stacked" Miss Sutmeuller jumping out of a hot bath, all wet and glistening, NOT mentioning putting on PJ's but seemingly naked slipping into a bed!  😛  We might have finished the semester with better grades if we could have paid more attention to what she was SAYING rather than always conjuring up that image.  [wink]

Whitefang

Just would have gotten you into more trouble than you could handle (at the time).

I had gotten the reputation of being a wise a$$ in 5th grade. 

Mostly due to the clowns I was hanging around with, who were in fact a bunch of wise a$$es.

The last day of 5th grade the 6th grade teacher comes into the class (Big due, 6' 2" like Football Tackle big)  calls out my name and asks me to stand up.

so I stand up and looking him in the eye, while in front of the whole class this guy dresses me down  "Your day of reckoning is coming" and a few other tasty little threats like that.   

To which I never said a word, just took it all, and sat down when he was done.  and thinking "great, next year should be fun..."

But by the end of that next year,  after class one day he asked me to stay for a minute.  I had no idea what was coming mind you.  He told he just wanted to say "Looks like they had you pegged all wrong.  You've been one of the best students I've had in a long time"   He shook my hand and wished me good luck in Jr. High.  I was kind of at a loss for words, and with my reputation, THAT WAS unusual.  I just thanked him and walked out of the room to catch the bus ride home

Both of those moments, I've never forgotten. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I don’t, I hated HS. I do miss being 17 and stupid, now I’m 55 and stupid.

But a wiser stupid I bet.   😬 .  Dont be offended like my teacher. Thats what got me punted in the first place. 😀

Edited by slimt

My HS English teacher Mrs. Bruhler said something like "The critical reader is obligated to try to understand the writer and what they're trying to say before making judgements about the writing."  👍

I had an Engineering professor who smoked cigars in class.  Marvin Gates.  One time when a couple of kids slunk into class late he goes "I can tell the A students from the Z students the minute they walk into class."  😆

18 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

I remember Mr. Monteil telling us that the day will come when we miss being in school.

Well, I do!  Haven't had any decent sleep since graduation.  [wink]  I'm almost to the point I might as well start attending church again.  🥴

Whitefang

6 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Well, I do!  Haven't had any decent sleep since graduation.  [wink]  I'm almost to the point I might as well start attending church again.  🥴

Whitefang

Attending church?  Damn!  …..I haven’t reverted back to doing that yet…..Not that I don’t believe in a god or similar power.  I just don’t believe it’s found in a building.

On 9/14/2022 at 10:54 AM, kidblast said:

I had gotten the reputation of being a wise a$$ in 5th grade. 

Mostly due to the clowns I was hanging around with, who were in fact a bunch of wise a$$es.

Of course,  you couldn’t have been a wise ***…….We all knew it had to have been those other wise asses.😇

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

I guess you mean, if you start attending church, you can get one hour of decent sleep every Sunday

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, gearbasher said:

I guess you mean, if you start attending church, you can get one hour of decent sleep every Sunday

Not at Catholic Church. You have to keep standing and sitting again and then you have to say "also with you" a lot and then there is the small snack at the end of the service. 

11 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Not at Catholic Church. You have to keep standing and sitting again and then you have to say "also with you" a lot and then there is the small snack at the end of the service. 

I attended Catholic Church regularly. Before covid, I barely missed a Sunday. I admit, I missed a few stand / sit / kneel cycles. 

On another note: When I was working, I took the subway in and walked three avenues to my job. On the walk, there was this old church that was always open. If I was early,  I'd  go in, sit down, rest my head on my arms on the back of the pew in front of me and take a nap. There's something about the smell of burning candles and lingering incense that is very relaxing. Those naps were the best sleep I had during the 33 years I worked that job.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I suppose you could hobble in with a pair of crutches and feign being handicapped to get out of all that up and down.  But excuse me....

Being Episcopalian it took me a few to get what you meant by that "small snack".  [laugh]  I've done enough Catholic weddings I should have got that right off.  [wink]

Whitefang

I don't remember much about high school, this much is true. 
Didn't enjoy the experience, and can't name but a handful of friends or teachers from those days. 

My Algebra teacher was, looking back on it now, from the perspective of many years of life's experience since then, an abysmal instructor. 
Dogmatic, narrow-minded, two-dimensional, and rigid. 
He taught from the book, and the answer was either right or it wasn't. 
And he couldn't be bothered to explain the great number of ways that you could possibly arrive at the correct answer. 

I couldn't learn from the guy, and quite honestly, couldn't understand what he was saying most of the time. 
(His diction was poor, and miles away from my own upbringing, culturally. I'll just leave it at that.)

He got frustrated with me one afternoon, after I kept asking questions for more clarity and understanding regarding a particular formula. 

At one point, he blurted out, "John, you ain't right. You just don't fit in with these other kids. You never gonna fit in, I don't think!"

It was like an epiphany for me, and I remember smiling and quietly nodding. 
He was right, of course.

I didn't fit in with those other kids, and I never would conform or fit in. 
And I liked it that way. 

🙂

1 hour ago, sparquelito said:

I couldn't learn from the guy, and quite honestly, couldn't understand what he was saying most of the time. 
(His diction was poor, and miles away from my own upbringing, culturally. I'll just leave it at that.)

John, I think there are student/teacher relationships that will NEVER meld.

My freshman year in high school, I had Algebra with a Russian teacher, (Mr. Kazarnoff).   I simply couldn't learn from him.... he was a nice guy (years later, he came to the school board to defend me), but his style was such that I was lost.

The following year I took Geometry....and wouldn't you know it.... I got Mr. Kazarnoff again!    I immediately went to my counselor and asked to be moved to another class.   I was moved, and I aced Geometry.  

Went on to take Trigonometry in my Junior year, (which I used in both FDC in 'Nam and Accident Investigations).   It was just Mr. Kazarnoff.

• Thanks 2

ALGEBRA -    dusty cobwebs blowing through the corners of my trapezoid mind ...

HS  Algebra -   male teacher, exactly like the DanRob's  Mr. Kazarnoff.   Got a "C+"  as I recall.

College Algebra -  8years later, after 2 years of college, first semester I enrolled in after 4 years mental sabbatical in the USN  -   A Very Attractive teacher. VERY...   I got an A++.   

"When the student is ready - the teacher will appear."  (is that Zen ?)  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

HS  Algebra -   male teacher, exactly like the DanRob's  Mr. Kazarnoff.   Got a "C+"  as I recall.

A couple of years later....I'd changed schools....got in trouble with my hair..... we appealed our suspension with the school board....and Mr. Kazarnoff showed up and testified that the school had no authority to make us cut our hair!   It didn't work out....but I appreciated the fact that he showed up to support a "D" student he'd had 3 years earlier!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

A couple of years later....I'd changed schools....got in trouble with my hair..... we appealed our suspension with the school board....and Mr. Kazarnoff showed up and testified that the school had no authority to make us cut our hair!   It didn't work out....but I appreciated the fact that he showed up to support a "D" student he'd had 3 years earlier!

This made me think of something, not from school but work. In late '82 I was hired as a clerk for the illustrious USPS. I was hired in a group of 23 people and they basically kept us together as a crew. We were not allowed to wear short pants on the job.  In the summer of '83 the building's AC wasn't working, so one of the women in the crew said we should all come in the next day wearing shorts. She figured they weren't going to send everyone home. Well, all 23 of us agreed. The next day, three of the women and I showed up wearing shorts. And that was it. During the course of the day, the supervisors told a ll three women that they had to change into long pants or go home. So, they put long pants on. I made through the entire shift without anyone telling me to change. When we were clocking out, the consensus was; that I had the nicest legs and that's why I wasn't asked to change.

• Like 1