Gibson Brands Forums

Something a teacher has said that you remember to this day.

gearbasher

In grade 6 my buddy and I were misbehaving. The teacher comes to us and says "Do you remember the song and dance I gave you about talking while someone is giving their oral presentation ?" Yes we said. He then says as he grabbed us by our ears "Start dancin" and dragged us to the principal's office.

• Haha 1

Not a school teacher, but there was an older Scottish bloke that worked at my Dad's factory and he told me one day "Toools were meant to be ooosed, not abused".  I don't know why, maybe because it rhymed, I always remembered that.  Another good one my Grandad told me was "never gamble unless you can afford to lose".  Seems my teachers over the years didn't have great quotes or least not ones I remember.

Heard a good one on the TV series "Industry" a week or so ago.  There was an older guy on the trading floor that was secretly a heroin addict.  One of the other workers found out about it and confronted him.  He said, "it's not an addiction if you can afford it".  Never thought of addiction that way - and not sage advice, but memorable nonetheless.

Robert C Monroe: Band director Jr. High and High School

• Drag two beat triplets
  • When playing melody: Either drag the beginning of a phrase and rush the end to catch up -- or -- rush the beginning of the phrase and drag to catch up, depending on the song and the feeling you want to evoke.
  • In many forms of music, the music notes are not strictly interpreted. This is what jazz musicians call the groove, but it's been around forever. I'll play the same Viennese waltz played by different orchestras, and notice how the second beat is rushed. Also, notice how different conductors rush it by different amounts.

When studying Salsa Music in Puerto Rico, Luis Angel said: The hand drums are always played a little behind the beat, and the cowbell is almost always exactly on the first beat of each measure. If I hear the cowbell and hand drums playing exactly at the same time, i can't listen to the rest of the song.

English teacher (forget her name): Why can't you work as hard as your big sisted did when she was in my class?

Notes ♫

1 hour ago, Notes_Norton said:

In many forms of music, the music notes are not strictly interpreted. This is what jazz musicians call the groove, but it's been around forever. I'll play the same Viennese waltz played by different orchestras, and notice how the second beat is rushed. Also, notice how different conductors rush it by different amounts.

English teacher (forget her name): Why can't you work as hard as your big sisted did when she was in my class?

Notes ♫

1. Not only the notes, but the terms in music are ambiguous too.  One example;  I have two recordings of Mahler's symphony #1.  One directed by Georgr Solyi anf the other by Neeme Jarvi.  Both seem to be identically paced.  But hearing it performed conducted by Antal  Doriati  had Dorati's interpretation paced much slower.

2.  You were lucky.  I managed to get many of the teachers my older brother had before me.  And I usually got, "I hope you won't be as much trouble as your brother was."  [wink]

Whitefang

• Haha 1

Looking at the bent middle finger of my right hand, made me think of another "Teacher" moment. Like I said, the middle finger on my right hand is bent at the first joint. Also, there is still a lump on the side of that joint. The lump has shrunk over the past 54 years, but there's still a remnant of it.  This is from Sister Irene (third grade--I mentioned her earlier). I must have written: "I must obey sister's orders.",  over 20, 000 times during that school year. I still remember how the pages of that notebook made a crinkly sound when you flexed them due to all that writing. The pressure from the pen on that joint caused the damage. At least it's my strumming hand.

Edited by gearbasher

• 1 year later...

Miss Susan Ray.
East Gate Junior High.
Ozark, Alabama.  Early 1970's.

Young, slender, funny, and a really good (albeit brand new) teacher.
She was fresh out of Montevallo University.

She was fond of saying, whenever the girls in her class or homeroom were talking loudly over each other,
"Ladies, ladies, please calm down now.  And by ladies, please know that I mean to imply the loosest possible definition of that word!"

Always cracked me up.

🤔

• Like 1

I recall in the aforementioned "Miss Shaw's" class, there was to be a student dance.   We had played the year before, and by this time we were working pretty big venues, so we weren't going to play the dance that year.

She asked the class if they wanted a band that played mostly fast songs, or mostly slow songs....of COURSE, I popped up right away and said "How about  a band that plays Half-Fast songs?"

• Like 1

Same Junior High, early 1970's.

The Principal used to covet a certain parking spot that was convenient to the side entrance to his office.
He would get onto us hooligan boys for parking our motorcycles in that particular spot.
(In Alabama you could get your motorcycle riding License at age 14.)

Finally, he got the school board to approve a designated parking spot post and sign right on that spot.
School Principal Parking Only it read.

So, the first day he proudly parked his VW Beetle in his spot and strolled into his office, we hatched a plot to pull a prank on him.

The homeroom teacher allowed the entire class to leave class that morning, the very instant that the Principal went down to the conference room for a budget meeting.

We scampered out to the Principal's VW, picked it up, and walked it around to the tree covered field behind the school.
We neatly placed it between two tall pine trees, with the chrome bumpers positioned exactly one inch away from the bark. He couldn't drive away from that trap if he tried. 

It was a funny prank, in our opinion. We snickered about it all morning.

The best part was when the man strolled out to the parking lot later on and found his vehicle missing.
He quietly and calmly strolled around the parking lot and circumnavigated the grounds until he finally spotted his car back there, snugged up between the two tall pine trees.

A few minutes later, we were all working diligently on our classroom assignments, when the PA speakers across the school grounds and in each classroom gave with a click and a small introductory clearing of the throat, followed by,
"Okay. Move it back. Right now, please."

Grinning ear to ear, all of us hooligans left our classes, trooped on back to the pines, picked up his car, and happily carried it back to the proper parking spot.

Good memories, good times.

😄

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Same Junior High, early 1970's.

The Principal used to covet a certain parking spot that was convenient to the side entrance to his office.
He would get onto us hooligan boys for parking our motorcycles in that particular spot.
(In Alabama you could get your motorcycle riding License at age 14.)

Finally, he got the school board to approve a designated parking spot post and sign right on that spot.
School Principal Parking Only it read.

So, the first day he proudly parked his VW Beetle in his spot and strolled into his office, we hatched a plot to pull a prank on him.

The homeroom teacher allowed the entire class to leave class that morning, the very instant that the Principal went down to the conference room for a budget meeting.

We scampered out to the Principal's VW, picked it up, and walked it around to the tree covered field behind the school.
We neatly placed it between two tall pine trees, with the chrome bumpers positioned exactly one inch away from the bark. He couldn't drive away from that trap if he tried. 

It was a funny prank, in our opinion. We snickered about it all morning.

The best part was when the man strolled out to the parking lot later on and found his vehicle missing.
He quietly and calmly strolled around the parking lot and circumnavigated the grounds until he finally spotted his car back there, snugged up between the two tall pine trees.

A few minutes later, we were all working diligently on our classroom assignments, when the PA speakers across the school grounds and in each classroom gave with a click and a small introductory clearing of the throat, followed by,
"Okay. Move it back. Right now, please."

Grinning ear to ear, all of us hooligans left our classes, trooped on back to the pines, picked up his car, and happily carried it back to the proper parking spot.

Good memories, good times.

😄

That's one of the best school pranks I ever heard!

Good on YOU!

50 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

We cut class and drove over the hill to Santa Cruz. That is a proper California education.

We were going to Santa Cruz on our "Senior Cut Day" too. 

But I found my brakes went out that morning....so I spent the day fixing my brakes and putting on new pads, (1960 Oldsmobile).

The school called my house....my mom answered and asked if I was home.  She said "Yes", they said "Are you SURE?"   She said, "Do you want to talk to him?"   They said, "No, thanks.).

The seniors all had to do 5 days of detention, or not get their diploma.... 'cept me, and a few nerds!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

We were going to Santa Cruz on our "Senior Cut Day" too. 

But I found my brakes went out that morning....so I spent the day fixing my brakes and putting on new pads, (1960 Oldsmobile).

The school called my house....my mom answered and asked if I was home.  She said "Yes", they said "Are you SURE?"   She said, "Do you want to talk to him?"   They said, "No, thanks.).

The seniors all had to do 5 days of detention, or not get their diploma.... 'cept me, and a few nerds!

Wow.

I had a similar experience in high school, only with a darker, more horrible ending.

I was invited to cut-school and drive down to the beach at Panama City, FL with a good friend from JR ROTC.
He was supposed to ride down with some older boys, and spend a day down there having fun.
This was when I was in the 10th grade.

Sure enough, I had to work on the day in question, and I backed out at the last minute.
My spidey sense was telling me not to cut school and go to the beach that day.
I needed the hours at work that afternoon/evening anyway.
We were pretty poor, and all of us Sparkman kids had jobs to help mom pay the bills.

Found out the next day that the car full of teenagers had crashed into a turning semi on their way to the beach.
They were estimated to be doing 100 mph at the time of the collision.
Two boys and one girl killed, and the driver and his brother were badly injured.

I spent years wondering if I was meant to die in that car crash.
Or would I have been the kid who spoke up and asked the driver to slow down a bit, and maybe saved all those lives?

We'll never know.
😔

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Wow.

I had a similar experience in high school, only with a darker, more horrible ending.

I was invited to cut-school and drive down to the beach at Panama City, FL with a good friend from JR ROTC.
He was supposed to ride down with some older boys, and spend a day down there having fun.
This was when I was in the 10th grade.

Sure enough, I had to work on the day in question, and I backed out at the last minute.
My spidey sense was telling me not to cut school and go to the beach that day.
I needed the hours at work that afternoon/evening anyway.
We were pretty poor, and all of us Sparkman kids had jobs to help mom pay the bills.

Found out the next day that the car full of teenagers had crashed into a turning semi on their way to the beach.
They were estimated to be doing 100 mph at the time of the collision.
Two boys and one girl killed, and the driver and his brother were badly injured.

I spent years wondering if I was meant to die in that car crash.
Or would I have been the kid who spoke up and asked the driver to slow down a bit, and maybe saved all those lives?

We'll never know.
😔

WOW!   That's a horrible story!

So glad you missed it...

• Like 1

I did cut school one time with a friend..... we took his Jeep to San Francisco.

He got a parking ticket there....so in order to keep his parents from finding out, we went to the court house to pay the ticket that day.... was $25...that was a LOT of money back then!

As a result, we had no money for lunch.....so we went to the free Soup Kitchen and ate with the homeless people!

Unfortunately, my mom needed my car that day, so she walked to the school, went to the office to ask them if they'd tell me she took my car during the day, (I had to only car in the family at the time),    The office told her, I was absent that day....she said, but his car is in the parking lot!

Needless to say my ONLY time cutting school, (besides the 6 weeks I was kicked out due to my hair), I got busted!

• Like 1