Gibson Brands Forums

Something a teacher has said that you remember to this day.

gearbasher

In the "Stupid Jokes" thread @Whitefang commented about a joke I posted. He said he remembered a teacher telling that one. That made me think of two things that I never forgot from my H.S. days.

Mr. Yanello, from soph. Chem. lab, told us to roll up over sleeves when working with acids because "skin heals and material doesn't". I still use that line in a number of situations. Of course, making minor adjustments to fit the circumstances.

Mr. DonDiego from freshman Biology. We all thought he was a hard a$$. He said: "I want you to understand it, not memorize it." Coming from Catholic grammar school, where all we were taught was memorization, that line was lost on me. It wasn't until I went to college that I realized what he was saying. And man, was he right. 

So, do you old timers have anything that you remember to this day?

Edited by gearbasher

I remember one teacher who was and Ex-Marine and he said "I was in The Marine Corp, and I've heard every swear word  there is and then some". I'm not sure if that was supposed to impress or intimidate us? It was 12th grade Biology I think.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I did a fifth year of university in an unsuccessful attempt to get into medical school.

One course I took was an undergraduate thesis course (in effect a mini-Masters where each student found a professor to take him or her on and give each an original research problem).

In a nutshell, my problem was to prove that very early replicating Polyoma Virus DNA required a very short piece of RNA as a primer.

The experiment took me most of the year to successfully run, and one evening when I took my professor W.P. Cheevers (who refused to be called anything other than Phil) my graphic results, he looked them over, turned to me, smiled, and in his Louisiana drawl said , " My son, you've got the goods."

Had I been awarded a Nobel Prize, I couldn't have been happier, and even though it was 50 years ago, I can still picture the scene, and will never forget that moment.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Like 2

Second year in junior high school. My first attempt at learning guitar formally. I enrolled in guitar class. Beatnik type teacher named Mr. Happannan.

After tuning to the piano, during warm up I played some 9th and dbl 7th chordes. He heard that and exitedly asked the class who played the jazz chordes. Not knowing what those were, looking around, everyone was lookking at me. So I raised my hand.

The teacher then started to berate me in front of everyone about having long hair and that it's allways those guys  that ruin music and I didn't belong in his class.

I stood up and said calmly, I get that sh*t at home. And I walked out never to return. As I closed the door behind me, I could still hear him talking about or to me.

EDIT

To this day that bothers me. Even kinda jittery typing this.

Self taught, my guitar, like most, has become my diary, confesional, my solice. F**k 'em all.

Sorry.......

EDIT again, sorry.

So one night playing in a club, a guy came up to compliment me on my playing. He also asked me why I don't clip the strings at the head stock so they don't flop around and get in the way.

Jokingly I replied, they used to say that about my hair when I was young.

After, I remembered the story I just related here. Ever since, I never clip the string ends in protest of that incident. Like 6 arms waving, saying, "hey, F U teach, I can play "

Edited by CROWB8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ghost_of_fl said:

From a guitar teacher:

Slow and clean is ALWAYS better than fast and sloppy.   

With my arthritis, smashed left hand by a log splitter, and the final blow, a stroke leaving me blind in one eye, numb finger tips and obviously communication issues,

I took what BB king said (I read somewhere~), "It's not how fast you play, it's what you play"

Edited by CROWB8

20 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

With my arthritis, smashed left hand by a log splitter, and the final blow, a stroke leaving me blind in one eye, numb finger tips and obviously communication issues,

I took what BB king said (I read somewhere~), "It's not how fast you play, it's what you play"

I've heard BB King say; "Every note is precious."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gearbasher said:

In the "Stupid Jokes" thread @Whitefang commented about a joke I posted. He said he remembered a teacher telling that one. That made me think of two things that I never forgot from my H.S. days.

Mr. Yanello, from soph. Chem. lab, told us to roll up over sleeves when working with acids because "skin heals and material doesn't". I still use that line in a number of situations. Of course, making minor adjustments to fit the circumstances.

Mr. DonDiego from freshman Biology. We all thought he was a hard a$$. He said: "I want you to understand it, not memorize it." Coming from Catholic grammar school, where all we were taught was memorization, that line was lost on me. It wasn't until I went to college that I realized what he was saying. And man, was he right. 

So, do you old timers have anything that you remember to this day?

Oh sh*t. You were likely refering to something inspirational or positive.

Sorry. Didn't have some.

--------

In jest gearbasher sir. Respect........

5 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

Oh sh*t. You were likely refering to something inspirational or positive.

Sorry. Didn't have some.

--------

In jest gearbasher sir. Respect........

No apologies, please. Just anything that has stayed with you. Please, I'm not a" half glass full" person. I'm a "I don't even have a glass" person.

I just remembered this one from my HS gym teacher. Whenever you asked to use the bathroom, he'd say; "Put a rubber band around it." BTW, it was an all boys school.

Edited by gearbasher
  • Haha 1

I had a science teacher called Mr Porter who used to set the class work and then he would sit on a bench at the back of the class playing an acoustic guitar (he wouldn't get away with that today).  When I asked him about his guitar he said if myself and a few of my mates wanted he would teach us to play during lunch hour, so I got my parents to get me a guitar (it was a second hand 12 string with six strings on it) and Mr Poter was true to his word, he taught us a few chord's and riffs and we were off! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, CROWB8 said:

Second year in junior high school. My first attempt at learning guitar formally. I enrolled in guitar class. Beatnik type teacher named Mr. Happannan.

After tuning to the piano, during warm up I played some 9th and dbl 7th chordes. He heard that and exitedly asked the class who played the jazz chordes. Not knowing what those were, looking around, everyone was lookking at me. So I raised my hand.

The teacher then started to berate me in front of everyone about having long hair and that it's allways those guys  that ruin music and I didn't belong in his class.

I stood up and said calmly, I get that sh*t at home. And I walked out never to return. As I closed the door behind me, I could still hear him talking about or to me.

EDIT

To this day that bothers me. Even kinda jittery typing this.

Self taught, my guitar, like most, has become my diary, confesional, my solice. F**k 'em all.

Sorry.......

EDIT again, sorry.

So one night playing in a club, a guy came up to compliment me on my playing. He also asked me why I don't clip the strings at the head stock so they don't flop around and get in the way.

Jokingly I replied, they used to say that about my hair when I was young.

After, I remembered the story I just related here. Ever since, I never clip the string ends in protest of that incident. Like 6 arms waving, saying, "hey, F U teach, I can play "

That's absolutely shocking for a teacher to do that. 

In college I had a class that required us to give a speech in front of the class every 2 weeks or so.

Hardest part was always trying to come up with a subject.

One week, I said my speech was going to be on ethnic humor, (couldn't do that these days). 

Teacher said, "Before you give your speech, I want you to know I'm Polish."

I said, "That's okay...I'll tell the jokes slowly!"

Aced the class!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I took a Guitar Class in College.. It was a Beginner class. I’d already been playing Guitar for a while but wanted to learn the formal way of playing.. The “Correct” way to play, Reading music etc..

During the break we’d all go out side.  I’d play & sing some popular songs of the day that I knew… Some of the other Students would ask me how to do this or that… I’d tell them what little I knew..

After a couple weeks the Teacher asked me to stay after Class.. Based on my history I knew this probably wasn’t a good thing… He said, You play pretty good. I don’t know how you do it? But, that’s not what I’m teaching here.. If you challenge my Course I’ll give an “A”.. Just don’t come back.. So I did…. I’ve continued to be self taught ever since…..

Edited by Larsongs

One thing  stood out - at the time - made a lasting impression  when I was in 7th grade Catholic School.  Not a nugget extracted from  the  mountains of information  a la "You may want to take notes, you'll be seeing this again at the end of the semester.", stuck because  Brother Finian told it to my parents.  "Your son is smart, but a bit lazy."   Up until then, I had loved school. 

In high school, I had a very young teacher, (she was probably 22 or so).   Her name was Ethyl Mae Shaw, (she introduced me to Bob Dylan).

I had her for English my Freshman year, History in my Sophomore year, then I changed schools, but still had her for my "home room" teacher in my Junior year and again in my Senior year.  So I had this teacher for all 4 years in high school.     I always felt she was one of the largest influences on my life when I was in school.

Okay.... years later.....I was learning my Mother-In-Law's business so I could take it over eventually.   I noticed one of her tenants was a "Ethyl Mae Shaw"....and I wondered if it was her.

My M-I-L asked me to put smoke detectors up in some of her units....and, of course, this was my chance to find out if the tenant was the Ms. Shaw from school.

On a Saturday, I went to her place, and knocked on the door....it was her..... (She knew someone was coming to install a smoke detector, but didn't have a name).   I did the install, and she never seemed to recognize me...or at least didn't let on.

I was getting ready to leave, and I couldn't help it....So I wanted her to know what an influence she was on my life....here I was, 25 years after I graduated, successful, married, college-educated, healthy and happy....so I said to her..."I'm not sure you remember me, but you were my teacher all through high school."    She said, "Oh, I remember you....you never were a very good student."

Needless to say, I never got around to telling her how much she meant to me.

• Like 2

Danvill Rob,  I read a book decades ago - "Embraced By The Light".   It proposed that some people are in our lives, sometimes only briefly,  so they can touch us in a meaningful way - causing us to be better people than we otherwise would have been.  One example she used - a man leaving his work for the day sees a homeless drunk passed out on the sidewalk.   He is so powerfully  overcome by the tragedy of the life lost to despair and dissolution -  he suddenly realizes he needs to become more understanding of his fellow man. His life is changed for the good - forever.  The drunk - he agreed that his life on earth would be one of sadness and desperation - so he could in that one minute - offer the opportunity to his friend, the busy businessman - to 'embrace the light'.  To become a kinder, gentler person.   The drunk lived his life, of course, not knowing he was here on earth to 'save one soul' - his already having been saved.    Somewhat romantic, fanciful and 'spiritual' - but it helped me consider the possibility there is more to life than what we see on the surface. 

Ethyl May Shaw - she didn't realize she accomplished so much and brought so much happiness to you.  And, I'm sure hundreds of other students.  At least not in her conscious mind. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fortyearspickn said:

Danvill Rob,  I read a book decades ago - "Embraced By The Light".   It proposed that some people are in our lives, sometimes only briefly,  so they can touch us in a meaningful way - causing us to be better people than we otherwise would have been.  One example she used - a man leaving his work for the day sees a homeless drunk passed out on the sidewalk.   He is so powerfully  overcome by the tragedy of the life lost to despair and dissolution -  he suddenly realizes he needs to become more understanding of his fellow man. His life is changed for the good - forever.  The drunk - he agreed that his life on earth would be one of sadness and desperation - so he could in that one minute - offer the opportunity to his friend, the busy businessman - to 'embrace the light'.  To become a kinder, gentler person.   The drunk lived his life, of course, not knowing he was here on earth to 'save one soul' - his already having been saved.    Somewhat romantic, fanciful and 'spiritual' - but it helped me consider the possibility there is more to life than what we see on the surface. 

Ethyl May Shaw - she didn't realize she accomplished so much and brought so much happiness to you.  And, I'm sure hundreds of other students.  At least not in her conscious mind. 

FYP, such a thoughtful response.

I tell this story  as being a funny incident in my life..... and you point out the Ms. Shaw, unknowingly, directed my life.   When I graduated from college in 1975, I thought of her and wondered if she'd be proud of the 'loudmouth kid' she helped mold?

When she lived in one of our units, she was no longer teaching....she worked in a pottery shop, (she was very "Hippy-Like" even in 1963).

She actually was a tremendous teacher...maybe because she was only slightly older than us, and could identify with our youthful troubles.

I went to school when looking 'out of the norms' was not allowed.    She was my teacher when I was kicked out of school for 6 weeks because I wouldn't cut my hair...was National news back then!  

May be an image of 2 people

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

One thing  stood out - at the time - made a lasting impression  when I was in 7th grade Catholic School.  Not a nugget extracted from  the  mountains of information  a la "You may want to take notes, you'll be seeing this again at the end of the semester.", stuck because  Brother Finian told it to my parents.  "Your son is smart, but a bit lazy."   Up until then, I had loved school. 

This reminds me of another story. I was a quiet, shy kid and in 3rd grade Sister Irene tortured me. One day, she handed out reading books and didn't give me one. When I told my parents, my mother went to see her. Sister Irene told my mother that I was too meek and I need to stand up for myself. To which my mom replied: "The meek shall inherit the earth." Sister Irene eased up after that.

The plus side to being shy and quiet was:  This kid, Anthony  (I remember his last name but won't give it out), was the school bully. He picked on practically everyone, but me. One day in 8th grade, another student asked him why he never bothered me. Anthony said: "He's too quiet and that scares me." I heard rumors that he eventually ended up in prison. I don't know how true they are.

Edited by gearbasher

20 hours ago, gearbasher said:

Mr. DonDiego from freshman Biology.

First, your biology teacher's name would have gotten me into trouble had he been my teacher.  Don Diego was the name of the aristocratic character who was secretly the people's avenger ZORRO on the old Disney show THE ADVENTURES OF ZORRO.  I'd probably find it hard to keep from asking him to wear his black mask to class, or how his manservant Bernardo is doing.  [wink]

The only maxim I remember given by a teacher was from my 11th grade English teacher Mrs. Walker, who was militantly pedantic about grammar.  It was from her I learned the phrase I've even used in here a couple of times;

"If you can't blind them with your brilliance,  then blind them with your BS."  She never did say what we knew the BS stood for.  After all, she was supposed to set an example. [wink]

Another thing I remember a teacher telling the class that me and all the boys in the class likely remember is when our 6th grade teacher, MISS Sutmeuller, the youngest teacher at Goodell school and who could easily pass as a "hottie" was mentioning for some reason how she liked nothing better than, "to jump out of a nice hot bath and quickly slip in between crisp, clean sheets.

At recess all we boys, all pushing 12 years of age and with all kinds of hormones beginning to stir, talked about the "stacked" Miss Sutmeuller jumping out of a hot bath, all wet and glistening, NOT mentioning putting on PJ's but seemingly naked slipping into a bed!  😛  We might have finished the semester with better grades if we could have paid more attention to what she was SAYING rather than always conjuring up that image.  [wink]

Whitefang