Gibson Brands Forums

Something a teacher has said that you remember to this day.

gearbasher

Back in the days of Corporal Punishment.

In 6th Grade, my Teacher, Mr. Stammerjohn told me to stay after Class while all the kids were at recess.. He was a terrible Teacher & Human Being.. He got mad at me for being a little bit of a smart *** & said, I’m gonna kick your little ***.. He chased me around the classroom & caught up to me & kicked me in my lower back & laid me out on the floor.. Then he said, if you tell anyone I’ll give you worse..  Shortly thereafter we moved.. I never told, until now..

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

In 6th Grade, my Teacher, Mr. Stammerjohn told me to stay after Class while all the kids were at recess.. He was a terrible Teacher & Human Being.. He got mad at me for being a little bit of a smart *** & said, I’m gonna kick your little ***.. He chased me around the classroom & caught up to me & kicked me in my lower back & laid me out on the floor.. Then he said, if you tell anyone I’ll give you worse..  Shortly thereafter we moved.. I never told, until now..

I'm so sorry that happened to you Lars.

We used to get whipped by the nuns at Catholic School, and by the southern gym coaches later on, but nothing vicious like that!!

😒

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I had a teacher for algebra in my Freshman year of high school.... could NOT learn for that man!   I didn't hate him, I just couldn't learn from him!

When I was kicked out of school, (2 years later and a different school), he showed up a School Board meeting and defended me to the Board....a kid who BARELY passed his class with a "gift C".

• Like 1

I had a professor from Iran for a wastewater treatment class.  Dr. Kharajian.  He had a steep accent.  He used to say "equals to" instead of "equals."  He'd be like " Three times five equals to fifteen" and we'd be laughing and joking about it the whole time.  He probably knew twelve languages for all I know.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Larsongs said:

I never thought of that… 

I never had a teacher I HATED.   Some were better than others, and some could teach and some couldn't.

There was an infamous principal at my first high school, Dr. Callaghan.   EVERYONE hated and feared him.  

When I was a freshman, I used to hitchhike to school....and once a week or so, Dr. Callaghan would pick me up....we got to be very friendly.

My Junior Year in a different school, the principal kicked me out for 6 weeks because of my hair.    After all the media attention that brought, and I was finally back in class....he and I became friends too.

Don't carry hate around..... that's like taking poison hoping the other guy dies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I never had a teacher I HATED.   Some were better than others, and some could teach and some couldn't.

There was an infamous principal at my first high school, Dr. Callaghan.   EVERYONE hated and feared him.  

When I was a freshman, I used to hitchhike to school....and once a week or so, Dr. Callaghan would pick me up....we got to be very friendly.

My Junior Year in a different school, the principal kicked me out for 6 weeks because of my hair.    After all the media attention that brought, and I was finally back in class....he and I became friends too.

Don't carry hate around..... that's like taking poison hoping the other guy dies.

I was filled with hate & anger as a kid when my Dad left us.. For years..  It took a long time but my Dad & I became close in his later years.. I took care of him til he passed.. I let go of my hate & anger.. I don't hate anyone... It's a Cancer that hurts you more than anyone else..

• Like 2

Freshman year of college I had an English professor (it was some writing/composition prerequisite course) who kindly explained the difference between how we had written essays in grade school/high school and how we should be writing them now. (He said this applied to how we interacted with our teachers as well.) He said that before college, most of us simply wrote, (or participated in discussions), in ways that corresponded to how we felt personally. He said that, in most cases, this expositional style did not effect our grades, as grading focused on factors such as grammar, spelling, our knowledge of the subject, etc.. Those days are gone, he said. Nearly every college professor and TA, regardless of the subject being taught, have nearly identical political viewpoints that are reinforced and validated within the isolated, unopposed, monolithic echo chamber of academia. Worse yet, he said, was that most of them had low self-esteem, had questionable abilities to practically apply their knowledge in a real word job, and that they relished the power they had to control their students, (since they felt powerless in all other aspects of their little lives.). He said that from this moment on, you will be writing and communicating entirely in ways that match the viewpoints/positions of your professors and TAs. He told us to pay close attention to "the extraneous" , "off the cuff" language used by our professors and TAs, ESPECIALLY when it seemed unrelated to the subject matter being taught. He told us to go to "office hours" offered by every professor/TA, if only to see what books they read, what magazines they had, what art/pictures/flyers were on their walls, and to listen to their "small talk", (both with you and with others). Get to those office hours early, and listen. Stay a bit late and listen. But more importantly, speak sparingly and keep it focused on the course work. He said these profs/TAs love to talk, especially about themselves, so by asking, "How do you feel? I'd love to get your advice about that, since I know so little about that subject", is the perfect way to avoid saying "the wrong thing" when asked a pointed question. This will defiantly be a tough pill to swallow for some of you, he continued, but you will only have to endure this until you graduate. Regardless of your proficiency, knowledge, or accuracy per assignment, your conformity to the positions/view points of your professors, (both with-in assignments and while interacting with them), will be the determining factor in how you are graded.  No student is more despised than the one who answers every question correctly, understands the course material, and meets/exceeds every deadline but who obviously has a world view that is opposite of their professor/TA. He said to watch and see how that person, somehow, barely passes the class. But, watch how those with far less course knowledge and far less adherence to deadlines, manage to get A's, because they express the same world view as their professor/TA.  Validating these professor's/TA's world view, combined with giving them the illusion that they are "molding young minds into the correct way of thinking", is their heroin, and they consume it by the gallon.

This was the most despicable,  factually accurate, and invaluably useful information I received from a Professor in my college tenure. In courses that were relatively easy for me, I applied this advice sparingly, and my grades accurately reflected what I had learned. However, in courses that I struggled with, I laid it on thick. I would go as far as to show up at the places where my professors/TAs dined and drank. I would find an opportunity to interject myself into their conversations and expound upon the virtues of Marxism or Communism, or what ever "ism" they favored, (and buy a round or two when/if appropriate.). Somehow my C's became B's or A's at the end of the semester, despite my poor course work. Obviously, what I learned from my finance, accounting, business management, psychology, and business law courses facilitated my success in the business world and as a business owner. However, the lessons I learned about how to "read" people, how to subtly influence and manipulate over-confident people, who were in positions of power over me, (without them ever knowing what I was doing), was undeniably just as important to my success. (admittedly, manipulating mean, arrogant "know-it-alls" for my personal gain feels pretty good. But, they can never know what you did, nor can you ever "rub it in",  because that behavior "burns bridges" and will always come back to bite you. It's always better to let those people think they "won" when they didn't.) If you can't beat 'em, make 'em think your joining 'em, AND THEN BEAT 'EM!

How to win friends and influence enemies  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

Freshman year of college I had an English professor (it was some writing/composition prerequisite course) who kindly explained the difference between how we had written essays in grade school/high school and how we should be writing them now. (He said this applied to how we interacted with our teachers as well.) He said that before college, most of us simply wrote, (or participated in discussions), in ways that corresponded to how we felt personally. He said that, in most cases, this expositional style did not effect our grades, as grading focused on factors such as grammar, spelling, our knowledge of the subject, etc.. Those days are gone, he said. Nearly every college professor and TA, regardless of the subject being taught, have nearly identical political viewpoints that are reinforced and validated within the isolated, unopposed, monolithic echo chamber of academia. Worse yet, he said, was that most of them had low self-esteem, had questionable abilities to practically apply their knowledge in a real word job, and that they relished the power they had to control their students, (since they felt powerless in all other aspects of their little lives.). He said that from this moment on, you will be writing and communicating entirely in ways that match the viewpoints/positions of your professors and TAs. He told us to pay close attention to "the extraneous" , "off the cuff" language used by our professors and TAs, ESPECIALLY when it seemed unrelated to the subject matter being taught. He told us to go to "office hours" offered by every professor/TA, if only to see what books they read, what magazines they had, what art/pictures/flyers were on their walls, and to listen to their "small talk", (both with you and with others). Get to those office hours early, and listen. Stay a bit late and listen. But more importantly, speak sparingly and keep it focused on the course work. He said these profs/TAs love to talk, especially about themselves, so by asking, "How do you feel? I'd love to get your advice about that, since I know so little about that subject", is the perfect way to avoid saying "the wrong thing" when asked a pointed question. This will defiantly be a tough pill to swallow for some of you, he continued, but you will only have to endure this until you graduate. Regardless of your proficiency, knowledge, or accuracy per assignment, your conformity to the positions/view points of your professors, (both with-in assignments and while interacting with them), will be the determining factor in how you are graded.  No student is more despised than the one who answers every question correctly, understands the course material, and meets/exceeds every deadline but who obviously has a world view that is opposite of their professor/TA. He said to watch and see how that person, somehow, barely passes the class. But, watch how those with far less course knowledge and far less adherence to deadlines, manage to get A's, because they express the same world view as their professor/TA.  Validating these professor's/TA's world view, combined with giving them the illusion that they are "molding young minds into the correct way of thinking", is their heroin, and they consume it by the gallon.

This was the most despicable,  factually accurate, and invaluably useful information I received from a Professor in my college tenure. In courses that were relatively easy for me, I applied this advice sparingly, and my grades accurately reflected what I had learned. However, in courses that I struggled with, I laid it on thick. I would go as far as to show up at the places where my professors/TAs dined and drank. I would find an opportunity to interject myself into their conversations and expound upon the virtues of Marxism or Communism, or what ever "ism" they favored, (and buy a round or two when/if appropriate.). Somehow my C's became B's or A's at the end of the semester, despite my poor course work. Obviously, what I learned from my finance, accounting, business management, psychology, and business law courses facilitated my success in the business world and as a business owner. However, the lessons I learned about how to "read" people, how to subtly influence and manipulate over-confident people, who were in positions of power over me, (without them ever knowing what I was doing), was undeniably just as important to my success. (admittedly, manipulating mean, arrogant "know-it-alls" for my personal gain feels pretty good. But, they can never know what you did, nor can you ever "rub it in",  because that behavior "burns bridges" and will always come back to bite you. It's always better to let those people think they "won" when they didn't.) If you can't beat 'em, make 'em think your joining 'em, AND THEN BEAT 'EM!

What a GREAT professor he was....you were lucky to have met him.

Back when I was in college I wasn't very political....I was a registered Democrat because my Union signed me up on the job.

I had professors who were obviously "far left", but at the time, it didn't effect me.

Some had a small animus because I was a Vietnam Vet, (I went to school on the GI Bill), but if it affected my grades, I didn't notice.

I didn't graduate with straight A's but I did graduate with "Highest Honors", (GPA 3.51 or above).

I wish I'd had this guy back then!

• Like 1

I just read this line from  Dean Koontz's book "Quick Silver": "...you're liable to trigger a violent reaction quicker than if you started to sing the national anthem at a college faculty luncheon."

It just seemed fitting with the talk of College Professors. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

early into my 2nd semester of 12th grade as he was handing back the tests we had taken the week before, my History teacher proceeded to tell us that we were his worst class. every test score was the lowest compared to his other classes. "you guys are without a doubt my dumbest class".

after that I never scored lower than 98% on a test or homework.  by the 3rd or 4th perfect score on a test he said "Doug, theres been a huge turn around, good job, whats up".  I said "just wanted to show you I'm not dumb".     10th - 12th grade I was a world class stoner,  but I wasn't dumb. plus I always liked History ...

• Like 1

I recall something else I was told during my high school days.   Don’t remember if it was a teacher who gave me the advice or not.  Hell, it could have been my dad.  Anyway, it was damn good advice and it’s been foremost in my mind for years.  I was told “Don’t let your meatloaf!”

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2024 at 5:54 AM, Sheepdog1969 said:

This was the most despicable,  factually accurate, and invaluably useful information I received from a Professor in my college tenure. In courses that were relatively easy for me, I applied this advice sparingly, and my grades accurately reflected what I had learned. However, in courses that I struggled with, I laid it on thick. I would go as far as to show up at the places where my professors/TAs dined and drank. I would find an opportunity to interject myself into their conversations and expound upon the virtues of Marxism or Communism, or what ever "ism" they favored, (and buy a round or two when/if appropriate.). Somehow my C's became B's or A's at the end of the semester, despite my poor course work. Obviously, what I learned from my finance, accounting, business management, psychology, and business law courses facilitated my success in the business world and as a business owner. However, the lessons I learned about how to "read" people, how to subtly influence and manipulate over-confident people, who were in positions of power over me, (without them ever knowing what I was doing), was undeniably just as important to my success. (admittedly, manipulating mean, arrogant "know-it-alls" for my personal gain feels pretty good. But, they can never know what you did, nor can you ever "rub it in",  because that behavior "burns bridges" and will always come back to bite you. It's always better to let those people think they "won" when they didn't.) If you can't beat 'em, make 'em think your joining 'em, AND THEN BEAT 'EM! Whether it's words of encouragement, wisdom, or inspiration, teachers' words often leave lasting impressions that shape our lives. This prompt invites reflection on the memorable moments of guidance and support received from teachers, underscoring the influence of their words on our personal and academic journeys. For those seeking further assistance and guidance in their studies, https://edubirdie.com/science-help connects students with a platform offering science help and academic support services. Just as teachers leave indelible marks on their students, Edubirdie provides invaluable assistance to students striving for academic success.

you were lucky to have met him

Edited by RalphHitch
  • Thanks 1

I went to Pioneer High School in San Jose California. It’s a public school, one day my 11th grade history teacher said - everything in the Bible happened and it was real - huh, does the Principal know your saying this. This is not Catholic School. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

17 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I went to Pioneer High School in San Jose California. It’s a public school, one day my 11th grade history teacher said - everything in the Bible happened and it was real - huh, does the Principal know your saying this. This is not Catholic School. 

Pioneer high school  ?    Sounds like it needed a name change as well as a teacher change.  Equal Opportunity Offender. 

In the 70s we took Industrial Arts in our sophomore year. Half the year in woodworking, half in automotive. Our wood shop teacher was a bit like John Houseman's character in The Paper Chase. He had a heart attack while I was in his class (not literally, but in that time frame). A substitute came in to finish out the year. At the onset of the next school year, they were juggling substitutes and looking for a permanent replacement. They brought back a crusty old dude, looked exactly like Disney's Carl Fredericksen. Phil Rogers was his name. He had taught shop and Farm Mechanics in our school system from around 1940 to the early 70s. He had my brother in one of his classes. One day in 1967 or so, he gathered the boys around a tractor and asked, "What's the first thing you need to know about this tractor?" My brother barked from the back of the group, "Learn how to get ON the f***** thing!" He blazed a trail for the school year. Fast forward to my Junior year in 1976, I signed up for an elective woodworking class (I had already taken wood shop the previous year). There were FOUR of us in the class. My best friend and I, a huge Native American dude named Roger with long hair and Brando biker jacket (gentle as a lamb but didn't look it) and another guy in my class who had neatly combed 1950s hair and Buddy Holly glasses. I don't think I heard him say seven words the whole time were in high school. He might have been "on the spectrum" but we wouldn't have known it at the time. We (happily) spent our class time puttering on little wood projects of our own, and also sorting out the vast supply of project lumber overhead... mahogany, maple, Lignum Vitae (I could swear I heard him call it Limber, which is totally wrong). The sophomores wreaked havoc on the supply, tossing everything around and mixing it up. We sorted, jointed, planed, labeled... it was good. On the very first day, we four gathered around his desk. He had his fingers laced together in his lap, rocking slowly in the office chair. He glared at me. "Your name Englund?" (Yes it is, Mr. Rogers.) His words slowed with deliberate strong enunciation... "You got a brother named Paul?" (Yes.) He slowly nodded and his eyes narrowed, staring daggers right through my head... "I'm gonna keep an EYE on you."

Nothing profound, no message, no life lesson, it just brings a smile to my face every time I think of it.

And to this day, if someone asks me if Paul is my brother, I quickly weigh where this is going and how I should answer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So... one of my economic students a few years ago was actually told by another teacher that he would "never amount to anything".

This was the brightest student in my class.  He aced the class and the final.  It also turns out he Navy wanted him to be a nuclear engineer in the submarine fleet.  He signed on as a sonar tech.

Anyway, that's it.  Not someone told me, but what one of my best students endured.