Gibson Brands Forums

Things Many Young People Will Never Know...

Murph

9 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Oh man, you got me there with that one! 

(but I've never touched a proper firearm in my life)

Rudi what is an in-proper one? Maybe its improper?

How about making a mix tape for your special sweetheart?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Just now, Sgt. Pepper said:

Rudi what is an in-proper one?

Well, I meant things such as air pistols and home made things for shooting fireworks etc.

Even at work, some fellows made mortar bombs out of the explosives they use blowing the ejector seat canopys. 

...and some will always say any effective weapon is an improper one.

5 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Well, I meant things such as air pistols and home made things for shooting fireworks etc.

Even at work, some fellows made mortar bombs out of the explosives they use blowing the ejector seat canopys. 

...and some will always say any effective weapon is an improper one.

Like I stated, 23 years in 2 branches of the service and I never shot a weapon except in Bootcamp when we had to for training, and I never held one after Bootcamp when I was in either. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

16 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Oh man, you got me there with that one! 

(but I've never touched a proper firearm in my life)

My dad was a hunter, took me out in the field many times, pheasant hunting was fun.

Those days are some of my best memories of our time together.

It was never about the "game"  it was more for me about that time with the old man, I'd like to think it was the same for him.

The Target range was a blast though.

We kept guns in our gun racks (in trucks) in Arizona in the 70's, it was very common. Wore pistols on our belts riding dirt bikes in the desert.

One club I played at had a "check your gun" policy, with a sign on the wall when you stepped in.

In Illinois you have to be discreet....

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, nhwildbill said:

The original taste of a McDonald's French Fry which made it the very best you could get.

I'd go to Burger King to get a burger and then over to McDonald's for my fries.

Not in a million years.

We have a couple of chains here in Canada whose French Fries blow McDonald's out of the water without even breaking a sweat.

In the world of handcut fries, theirs are not even in the running.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

They'll never know a time when Fender, Martin, and Gibson were the only real guitars out there.  Everything that they covet now, that they have been told is all vintage lawsuit better-than-fill-in-the-blank was all crap that none of us wanted to play and we couldn't wait to get a real guitar.

They'll never know, for the most part, a time when your first mouthful of SM-58 could have been fatal.

A cigarette burn by up on the headstock by the the low E.

Pants flapping volume, that thing that made "tone", that thing they don't understand because we haven't been able to play that way for a long time.

For non-guitar stuff, well, there's just too much gone by that you can't really go there without sounding like a maudlin old man.

rct

33 minutes ago, rct said:

They'll never know a time when Fender, Martin, and Gibson were the only real guitars out there.  Everything that they covet now, that they have been told is all vintage lawsuit better-than-fill-in-the-blank was all crap that none of us wanted to play and we couldn't wait to get a real guitar.

They'll never know, for the most part, a time when your first mouthful of SM-58 could have been fatal.

A cigarette burn by up on the headstock by the the low E.

Pants flapping volume, that thing that made "tone", that thing they don't understand because we haven't been able to play that way for a long time.

For non-guitar stuff, well, there's just too much gone by that you can't really go there without sounding like a maudlin old man.

rct

And that is why I look forward to your posts, to keep up in check.

You young whipper snappers, get out of my yard.

1 hour ago, rct said:

Close To The Edge was my mom's record!

rct

You have/had a cool mom. First time I heard it was summer of ‘79. I listened to it 3 times in a row. Then I went out and got Relayer, then GFTO and on and on.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

59 minutes ago, rct said:

She saw Dark Side Of The Moon, Philly Spectrum.

rct

I saw Neil Diamond with my mom twice (Cow Palace and The Shoreline Amp.) and The Moody Blues once (whatever its called were the SJ Sharks play now). My mom saw Elvis a few times. I don't think she was lucky enough to get a kiss, or a scarf either, after it was handed to him by Charlie Hodge.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

16 hours ago, Murph said:

We kept guns in our gun racks (in trucks) in Arizona in the 70's, it was very common. 

New Hampshire was very much like that.  I had quite a bit of family up there, they all had pickups with gun racks..

I live in Central Mass, it's getting kind of difficult to get an LTC (I have one, but the politicians are closing in on that all the time)

when I grew up almost every friends house had a gun rack or a gun cabinet somewhere. 

oddly enough there were no mass shootings despite guns being almost everywhere.  maybe it's not the guns??  🤷‍♂️ 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Murph said:

My old Mexican Jazz bass has that. From my smoking/bass playing days.

Man, that's been over 14 years since I quit!

NJ ended smoking in bars around the turn of the century, none of my guitars has had a burn since before then.  It was a different world, full of bars full of adults doing adult things, not feeding their toddlers greasy bar "food".

rct

22 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

That does not look safe. I do know what pull tabs are. Remember when I think it was Coors had those two round tabs you would push in open the beer, so it vented the can. Cut my finger pushing a few of those in when I was under age.

When I was in the Navy in Mayport Fl, 4 of us had an apartment on the beach so we didn't have to live on the ship 24/7.  We had a massive curtain in the hallway entry made out of chains of pop tops.  Safe as drinking out of a garden hose, or playing Dodge Ball ! 

Edit:  the pop-tops were NOT from Coke Cans !

Edited by fortyearspickn

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

New Hampshire was very much like that.  I had quite a bit of family up there, they all had pickups with gun racks..

I live in Central Mass, it's getting kind of difficult to get an LTC (I have one, but the politicians are closing in on that all the time)

when I grew up almost every friends house had a gun rack or a gun cabinet somewhere. 

oddly enough there were no mass shootings despite guns being almost everywhere.  maybe it's not the guns??  🤷‍♂️ 

They still had gun racks in the back windows of pickup trucks when we moved to Houston in the early 90s.  Usually Winchesters, and  obviously not the extended cabs.  And, you could drink a beer while driving it home from work.   All sanitized now - to protect us from ourselves I suppose. 

30 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

When I was in the Navy in Mayport Fl, 4 of us had an apartment on the beach so we didn't have to live on the ship 24/7.  We had a massive curtain in the hallway entry made out of chains of pop tops.  Safe as drinking out of a garden hose, or playing Dodge Ball ! 

I had friends that would pull the pop-top off, drop it into the full can of soda/beer and  then drink from the can. I always waited for one of them to choke on the pop-top when it came out. It never happened.

Edited by gearbasher

Sr Chief,  I spent four years in the Navy and Never even touched a gun not even in boot camp.  I also never went through wearing the  gas mask in boot camp.  I was in what they called a "Christmas Compnay"  They were rushing us through to get done before the holiday(Graduated and left Chicago 4 days before it.

Kids today do not understand the joy of bench  seats in the fron of your car when you had your girlfriend with you...good times  LOL

21 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You might be confusing gender with sex. Most think they are the same thing and they are not. I had to look up both definitions. Sex is male or female, such as you have testicles or you don’t. Hence your a male if you do. Gender is not, it refers to the characteristics of men and women that are socially constructed roles and behaviors. Like being a Drag Queen. That’s a gender not a sex. There is no Drag Queen box to check on your birth certificate, but there is male or female.

Yep.  And fora short time they did away with the box for entering the newborn's "race".  On my wife's Birth certificate, in the box for "race", the doctor wrote "white".  But today, since being allowed to put that on birth certificates,  They'd probably put up a list with little boxes to check, and there'd likely be one for "Hispanic/Latino".  I thought it amusing that back in 1941 and in Texas, of all places, the doctors there thought my Mexican parented wife was white.  

22 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Playing 45’s on a Record Player…

The Top 40 came out every Week & my brother & I would to the Record Shop.. We’d take the 2-3 new Records from Top 10 that We didn’t already have into a Record Booth & played them so We could choose the one we were buying & taking home to wear the Grooves out of….

I thought they were more or less arcane when I was a kid.  Record store booths that is.  The record store I frequented didn't have them.  I asked about that once and the owner(who also worked the counter) said "Those went out with poodle skirts!".  But I always thought they were a cool idea.

21 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Remember when Fast Food was fast and cheap?

Or the now long gone fast food places like----Daly Burger,  Top Hat,  Carter's,  Burger Chef.

Young people now will also never know....

The aroma of burning leaves in the Fall

"Commercial free" movie theaters.  With double features, one or two short subjects, a couple of previews and cartoons before and between the movies.

Stores that will do their best to sell what you want, not sell you what THEY want to.

Or a practice of commerce where the consumer controls the market instead of the other way around. 

Whitefang

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

When I was a Navy contractor I went down to Mayport to work on the Iwo Jima to work on it for 3 weeks. If any one remembers Squirrel Nut Zippers, a store about a 2 min walk away form the hotel had them. They were 10 for a buck. By the time I left, I bought the store out of their supply.  And yes as you were a squid (no offense I was too) I am sure the pop-tops were not from Coke cans.

1 hour ago, kelly campbell said:

Sr Chief,  I spent four years in the Navy and Never even touched a gun not even in boot camp.  I also never went through wearing the  gas mask in boot camp.  I was in what they called a "Christmas Compnay"  They were rushing us through to get done before the holiday(Graduated and left Chicago 4 days before it.

Kids today do not understand the joy of bench  seats in the fron of your car when you had your girlfriend with you...good times  LOL

I graduated Boot in San Diego on New Years Eve in 1987. Gas Mask day was no fun. You really can't believe you have that much snot in something as small as a nose.

• Haha 1