Gibson Brands Forums

Lost in translation?

gearbasher

21 hours ago, gearbasher said:

A restaurant near me.

RBzoJ9d.jpg

I don't get the joke. Duc Dong, Vietnamese, would be funny but Duck Wong just sounds like a Chinese restaurant. I do live in LA  however which makes something like this common.

45 minutes ago, Tman said:

I don't get the joke. Duc Dong, Vietnamese, would be funny but Duck Wong just sounds like a Chinese restaurant. I do live in LA  however which makes something like this common.

I went to LA once, too many people for a North Dakota guy like me. I need my clean air and solitude. It was interesting tho.

3 hours ago, Tman said:

Long Duk Dong was a character in a movie with Molly Ringwald called 16 Candles.

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I know that. Duck Wong wasn't. Maybe it was a reference I missed or maybe I'm sensitive, my wife is asian.

She get's asked frequently "Where are you from?" She says LA. No where are you really from to which she replies, "Fullerton".  Sometimes she plays the game and says OK my parents are from Korea.

Edited by Tman
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I do believe I mentioned that when I posted the clip.  [wink]

13 hours ago, Tman said:

I know that. Duck Wong wasn't. Maybe it was a reference I missed or maybe I'm sensitive, my wife is asian.

She get's asked frequently "Where are you from?" She says LA. No where are you really from to which she replies, "Fullerton".  Sometimes she plays the game and says OK my parents are from Korea.

Nothing Asian about this, but also shows how ignorant people can be.......

I've often had doofuses ask me, when I told them my wife was Mexican, "Is she legal?"  :rolleyes:  And I'd always answer,

"Yeah, she's over 21."  [wink]

Whitefang

Don't get me wrong I'm not so sensitive that I don't find making fun of stereotypes of any sorts funny. I also still laugh and propagate fart jokes. I just didn't get what was funny about the OP. Then I had to go off and blame my inflated (for this thread)sensitivity.

Up until  4 or 5  years ago -  some stores, WalMart was the most notorious - would have St.Patrick's Day teeshirts for $10.    Some were OK, just a "Kiss Me I'm Irish" type - but the great majority were MEANt to be "humor based on stereotypes".    And, the only one  - a cliche - they seemed to focus on was of the   "Drink, Drank, Drunk" variety.     I'm 60% Irish and was never offended.  But, as we seemed to become "A Nation of Victims" and some folks became offended over Blonde Jokes, even if they were Brunette -   a  guy decided he'd had enough of the Walmart  - Drunk Irish t-shirts.  The Indian Logos were being removed from sports teams, etc.   So - he went to all the Walmarts in his city and bought out all their "Drunk Irish"  t-shirts several weeks before March 17th.   Then, on March 18th - he returned them all.   Obviously WalMart had to lose a lot of money on that 'joke'. 

A final note -    a couple of years ago I read the LGBTQ 'Community'  (which means a gaggle of activists)  sued the people who put on the NYC St.Patricks Day parade to let them have a float.   I don't know how it turned out.   I've found I try to avoid following up on stories more and more.   But I realized -  nothing is safe anymore.   

13 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

He was replying to Tman who had said "I don't get the joke".  

I knew that, but I did post a clip earlier making clear who Long Duc Dong was.  Go back and check.  Apparently, Tman needs to stop skimming through these posts.  [wink]

Whitefang

You should try reading more carefully.  My reply was to Sarge,  who felt the need to inform Tman who the character of Long duc Dong was, which I did earlier by posting that clip from the movie "Sixteen Candles".    As an aside--------

A buddy of mine cracked us up by pointing out that a local Chinese restaurant spelled "wanton" wrong when he saw wonton soup on the menu.  :rolleyes:

Guess he was wondering if the soup was really sexually unrestrained.  [laugh]

Wonton+Soup+(1).jpg

Whitefang

On 11/4/2022 at 9:12 AM, fortyearspickn said:

A final note -    a couple of years ago I read the LGBTQ 'Community'  (which means a gaggle of activists)  sued the people who put on the NYC St.Patricks Day parade to let them have a float.   I don't know how it turned out.   I've found I try to avoid following up on stories more and more.   But I realized -  nothing is safe anymore.   

Drunk Men and Women of Irish dissent should sue to be Drunk and Irish and allowed to be as such in SF’s Gay Pride Parade. That will show ‘em.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1