Gibson Brands Forums

The white porcelain wonder

E-minor7

This topic will turn a percentage off - may even divide the Board in two (please don't let that happen) 😎

Long story short : I really dig the adjustable bridges/saddle and have spent the last 10 years experimenting with a wide palette of variations.                                                                                                                                                 One was missing all the time. Not so any more.                                                                           

Yesterday I received a present from this big world and below we see what it contained.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Yes, , , 2 ceramic inserts - 1 in the (to me) well known matte finish and 1 in the (to me) unknown gloss

Now what is the difference - is there any - can it be heard/felt by the human ear'n'senses !? , , , I pass the question further to you.                                                                                                                                                                                                              Experiences, memories, theories even fantasies are all welcome. Feel freee. . 

Gloss used between 1957-63. Matte guess 1963 to approx 69 ~ m2BfdxS.jpg

My verdict will come later. Have to know my song well before singing. 

Edited by E-minor7

2 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

When I read the title, I naturally thought that Gibson had once again diversified, and was now also making toilets.

RBSinTo

Spontaneously revealing ones associations is an alternative but valid sort of courage.”

Doctor Viktor Bernhard Balthazar

8 hours ago, Buc McMaster said:

Given both being the same material, I cannot imagine the finish of the surface would make any discernible difference in acoustic tone, all other factors being equal.

Au contraire mon fraire.

Wouldn't the glossy one sound "slicker"?

Interesting, not sure about the finish making a difference in sound, but I do recall as a kid growing up on the coast, the high line wires (primaries and secondary)  were a glossy finish(glazed) and would sing when the wind was just right. Not sure but I think the glossy is slicker than the matte (unglazed), if that has anything to do with it.

13 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

When I read the title, I naturally thought that Gibson had once again diversified, and was now also making toilets.

RBSinTo

I could have sworn when Henry was in power they sold toilet seat covers in the brand lifestyle home section of the Gibson website. Right next to the LP Burst monitor speakers and bar stools.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I could have sworn when Henry was in power they sold toilet seat covers in the brand lifestyle home section of the Gibson website. Right next to the LP Burst monitor speakers and bar stools.

Chief,

It would make perfect sense if they were producing toilets.

After all, they are experienced in making one and two hole objects, and the "J" prefix would work perfectly for naming purposes.

Gibson and toilets: A match made in heaven.

RBSinTo

On 11/9/2022 at 6:51 AM, Buc McMaster said:

You are the inquisitor, sir.

Given both being the same material, I cannot imagine the finish of the surface would make any discernible difference in acoustic tone, all other factors being equal.

Hahe, , , admit sometimes feeling that I was called to make these investigations. The well-known fix-bridge/saddle is better than adjustable ditto consensus needed nuances.                                                               Actually believe this happened over the last decade - with Bozeman retro-singing along. 

On 11/9/2022 at 3:11 PM, Murph said:

Au contraire mon fraire.

Wouldn't the glossy one sound "slicker"?

You are zooming in on something, sir. . 

Contraire - perhaps, but you know Stones and Beatles and Donovan and Taylor and Renbourn and and and did remarkable stuff with these components. .

On 11/9/2022 at 3:34 PM, the other side said:

Interesting, not sure about the finish making a difference in sound, but I do recall as a kid growing up on the coast, the high line wires (primaries and secondary)  were a glossy finish(glazed) and would sing when the wind was just right. Not sure but I think the glossy is slicker than the matte (unglazed), if that has anything to do with it.

This is intriguing and poetical. Thanx for sharing the memory. . 

4 hours ago, aliasphobias said:

As you, Mr. 7th, I like the ADJ saddle variations. I have a few but found the high gloss version a little too "glassy". Probably not noticeable to those who have not experimented but to my ears, different.

Looking forward to your review!

Kindly,  Alias

Agree   the difference is there.

Before getting further it must be said that the gloss version also differs by a slim slot in the bottom. Of course the ridge over which the string cross is narrower.

But as said, a small variation definitely can be heard. Quite hard to get it on 'tape', but I will try later. Easier to detect when goin' to the guitar and playing a few familiar things.                              Because you (almost by instinct) really know the matte insert, the new gloss reveals its characteristics/qualities during the first 20-40-120 seconds. 

And it is smoother, absolutely less dry, sweeter and dare I say, , , , glossier. 😅 The precious clinnng-ring is richer - perhaps what you call glassier, Alias.

Note 1 - The switch was done with the same 2 years old D'Addarios ph. b. lights, which should provide the best circumstance for A/B-listening (we don't want a brass shower here).

Anyway - as mentioned, I'll try to get something recorded when the stars are right. Can't promise all just written will be heard. 

Note 2 - The experiment happens on the 1963 Southern Jumbo. Which when warmed up sounds out of this world. 

14 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

you know Stones and Beatles and Donovan and Taylor and Renbourn and and and did remarkable stuff with these components. .

I'm all in.

You don't have to sell me.

Nobody ever called the Murph a "cork sniffer"...

[thumbup]

On 11/9/2022 at 12:11 PM, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

It would make perfect sense if they were producing toilets.

After all, they are experienced in making one and two hole objects, and the "J" prefix would work perfectly for naming purposes.

Gibson and toilets: A match made in heaven.

RBSinTo

The Gibson G Line Of Guitars - 2 holes - no waiting.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Lars68 said:

I very much look forward to your findings, which I’m sure will be very interesting, but I’m even more looking forward to hearing a recorded song. May  I suggest ”Dead Flowers .”

Lars

The plan is to do a simple instrumental A/B - no singing, no hokus-pokus.

But be patient. 🐢

• Like 1

I also love the "adjustable bridge", especially with the ceramic saddle. There is a sparkle and liveliness that the ceramic saddle adds and it has that 60s and 70s rock acoustic guitar sound that i want.  With the rosewood saddles the acoustics just sound dull to me. The whole adjustable saddle design with the ceramic saddle is teh reasons I buy / collect vinateg Gibsons and Epiphone.

Of the 13 vintage Gibson and Epiphone acoustics I have with adjustable saddle / bridge set ups (not counting the B-45 which has to have the rosewood saddle to work) all have ceramic saddles now.  Three were originally purchased with rosewood saddles but I have a stash of ceramics that I have bought from Ebay or Reverb  over the years for just these occasions.  I was surprised when i received the 1964 Gibson SJ some years back to discover that it had a ceramic saddle with the aforementioned gloss outside surface.  I did do the A ; B test with a matt surfaced ceramic saddle and in the end stayed with the gloss surfaced ceramic saddle.  Whether it was real or psychosomatic I do not know but that was the one I felt sounded best.1919291342_acoustics16SEP20small.thumb.jpg.3b047d961ee8a7800a3d8d4915738b9d.jpg 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/9/2022 at 10:14 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

wait?  Bar Stools??  how did  I miss bar stools??

3 hours ago, sookwinder said:

I also love the "adjustable bridge", especially with the ceramic saddle. There is a sparkle and liveliness that the ceramic saddle adds and it has that 60s and 70s rock acoustic guitar sound that i want.  With the rosewood saddles the acoustics just sound dull to me. The whole adjustable saddle design with the ceramic saddle is teh reasons I buy / collect vinateg Gibsons and Epiphone.

Of the 13 vintage Gibson and Epiphone acoustics I have with adjustable saddle / bridge set ups (not counting the B-45 which has to have the rosewood saddle to work) all have ceramic saddles now.  Three were originally purchased with rosewood saddles but I have a stash of ceramics that I have bought from Ebay or Reverb  over the years for just these occasions.  I was surprised when i received the 1964 Gibson SJ some years back to discover that it had a ceramic saddle with the aforementioned gloss outside surface.  I did do the A ; B test with a matt surfaced ceramic saddle and in the end stayed with the gloss surfaced ceramic saddle.  Whether it was real or psychosomatic I do not know but that was the one I felt sounded best.1919291342_acoustics16SEP20small.thumb.jpg.3b047d961ee8a7800a3d8d4915738b9d.jpg 

Hey sookwinder - your post is so very welcome. I'm sure there are quite a few people out there who have ears for adjustable bridges/saddles. We are a club.                                                                        Because they really offer something else and highly precious. Both in real life and on tape. I actually believe the mellow rosewood version lifts an important task on some recordings. Sometimes a soft sound which isn't nylon-flavored is needed. Silk & steel strings go a bit of the way, but the r-wood insert takes it all down. 2 Qs to you sir.

What are your thoughts on the (hollow) plastic bridge ?

&

Did you ever try a contemporary Bozeman-made adjustable square-shouldered Gibson with the real/old ceramic instead of the modern tusq ?

1 minute ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You think I sit around all day and make this stuff up?

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Collection/seating-and-stools

well  used ta...  But now, not so much?  !LOL!

I have seen those before,  I was thinking about wooden ones. 

Which I'm sure once a Gibson logo gets on the seat, you can make a $29.00 bar stool go out the door for $199.

sounds about right, ? right?

1 minute ago, kidblast said:

well  used ta...  But now, not so much?  !LOL!

I have seen those before,  I was thinking about wooden ones. 

Which I'm sure once a Gibson logo gets on the seat, you can make a $29.00 bar stool go out the door for $199.

sounds about right, ? right?

The most expensive one is 149. Tall bar stool with silver legs. I am sure in all my belly ups to the bar in my day I have sat on one or a thousand.

On 11/14/2022 at 3:54 PM, sookwinder said:

I also love the "adjustable bridge", especially with the ceramic saddle. There is a sparkle and liveliness that the ceramic saddle adds and it has that 60s and 70s rock acoustic guitar sound that i want. 

Have to add I work with the 2 nuts installed, but not the rectangular under-insert-plate some call a spring. 

And your philosophy ?

7 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Have to add I work with the 2 nuts installed, but not the rectangular under-insert-plate some call a spring. 

And your philosophy ?

I have worked with the 2 nuts installed also. But without the spring installed would be interesting.

There would likely be a higher frequency response on the gloss- some higher freakquincies. Possibly above dog whistle area. If you hear them, then good for you.