Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Straps

Larsongs

I have lots of Guitar Straps. Can’t stand most of them! Several years ago I bought a Gibson 3” Wide Leather Padded Strap which I really like.. It’s soft Dark Brown Leather on both sides with s engraving on the topside. It’s the most comfortable Strap I’ve found..  

Does anyone here have that Strap? I’m unable to post a Pic..  I’d like to get another but I don’t see Gibson offering them anymore.

If they aren’t available I’d appreciate recommendations for an equally similar type Strap..

Thanks

I've got a "The Gibson" U.S.A. made strap I bought in Nashville at the Opry Mills location before the flood.

High quality leather, really nice strap with a lot of gigs on it.

No time for a pic, I've got to run, but it was expensive back then, would be well over $150.00 today, I'm sure.

1 hour ago, Murph said:

I've got a "The Gibson" U.S.A. made strap I bought in Nashville at the Opry Mills location before the flood.

High quality leather, really nice strap with a lot of gigs on it.

No time for a pic, I've got to run, but it was expensive back then, would be well over $150.00 today, I'm sure.

I think mine cost almost $100.00 several years ago… I’m ok if it’s not crazy $$$ more..

I like Levy straps, and have a bunch of em.

Are there cooler strats! Of course, but these are not all that expensive and hold up pretty well

My son gave me a wide padded levy strap for Christmas last year.

I use it on my heaviest guitar (my 95 LP Standard, which believe it or not, is just a few clicks shy of 12lbs.)

it definitely made a difference in how long I can stand with that on my shoulder  

I got a KLIQ  air cell padded 3" for electric guitar and bass.  Only $40 - not leather, but unlike the foam padded straps, it really works.    I use it, however, for my super-heavy banjo.  Had shoulder neck pain, but it 'fixed' it.

For my guitars -  I have had this   https://www.anthologygearwear.com/products/leather-guitar-strap-shadowlands-tritone  strap (actually a slightly different earlier cosmetic version) for 10 years, and it is also great.  3" and padded, top grain leather.  Made in US. 

Realize you already ordered a Levy's -   in case it doesn't float your boat.  Or your guitar. 

I still use the one I made in Leather crafting class in high school.  Whenever I use one that is.  I've stopped using a strap because there's really never any need for me to stand up while playing, And over the years my added girth makes it look like I'm playing a Guitarron.   [wink]

musician-from-the-group-mariachi-rayos-d

Whitefang

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Dave,  I have a banjo strap like that.  Sold by Deering Banjos.  I agree - that style is the best I’ve ever found.   Do you recall who made it? 

No name or logo but the end piece shape makes me think it's Franklin. Their site shows similar leather ones but no suede.

Link Glove Leather Handmade Guitar Strap – Franklin Strap

GLC-CH-CH-removebg-768x775.jpg

13 hours ago, Big Bill said:

I think I brought up Walker and Williams before. They make some leather straps that are amazingly affordable. All my guitars have one that fit each guitars individual style.

https://walkerandwilliams.com/

I looked at their Double Padded on Reverb & have had one in my watch list for awhile.  I’d kinda like one like this, link below, but with real Silver Conchos…. To use in the Country Rock Band, “The Larson Brothers Band”, I play in.. Would look cool!  If the Levy doesn’t work out I’ll try one of their Double Padded Straps..

https://walkerandwilliams.com/product/walker-williams-c-44-double-padded-premium-black-leather-strap-with-conchos-copy/

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1

I don't use a strap enough anymore to be of any help here....but I have literally dozens of straps.   I keep one or two in each guitar case (11) and have several on the shelves in my music room.

I have been buying  "Couch" straps for the last several years.   I think they're made of unused auto upholstery material.

https://www.couchguitarstraps.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA4uCcBhDdARIsAH5jyUkAsJ4UoqGQeS-DfnuSxkp4Tddz0G6VRgCBZlnCY19w0DD7Rhm2BgIaAjHyEALw_wcB

14 hours ago, Dave F said:

No name or logo but the end piece shape makes me think it's Franklin. Their site shows similar leather ones but no suede.

Link Glove Leather Handmade Guitar Strap – Franklin Strap

GLC-CH-CH-removebg-768x775.jpg

WOWSERS  -  just what  I've been looking for.    I really appreciate your help.   (just in time for Christmas ! )  

Edited by fortyearspickn

On 12/11/2022 at 7:01 PM, Larsongs said:

I ordered one of the Levy’s in Black.. Hope it’s equal to the Gibson I have which is Whiskey Brown..

Thanks

The new Levy Strap arrived today.. The padding is excellent & the width is almost equal to the Gibson Strap I have.... Seems like a good Strap.. I didn’t catch that it was like Black Patent leather! I prefer Black Leather but not Black Patent Leather… I’ll probably return it or exchange it..

Lots of great Posts! I seem more comfortable with padding for my shoulder.. I play different Guitars.. From a 5 1/2 lb. Thinline Tele to my 12 lb Les Paul.. With my Back & Shoulder pain the wide padded work the best.. An I’ve tried just about every that’s been posted so far.. I’m open to see some others too..

Thanks