Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Straps

Larsongs

I had a Hopalong Cassidy Toy Guitar when I was very young.. It had a red & white spiral stripe String strap.. 

I’ve had many different Straps. I’m returning the one I just bought.. I still want 3-4” wide padded Leather fine quality Strap as they are most comfortable for me.. It doesn’t need Ad logos or to be fancy & blinged out.. Simple & plain is fine.. Just good comfort & quality is most important..

Think I had that guitar.  Plastic., ukulele sized.  I think mine only had 4 stings.   Got rid of it when it was down to 2.  Black Diamond didn't make replacement strings.

Seriously though - the problem I've had with padded leather straps - they always have a seam - a sewn border around the edges where there is no padding.  So, the edge of the strap, which tends to be where it digs into that spot between your neck and shoulder - has zero padding.  2" or 3" wide - doesn't matter - if the edge isn't soft of padded, that is where you will feel it.   Some good suggestions here though, I'm sure you'll find something.   Fortunately, in this day and age, we can order on line and return just as easily.    Let us know  how your search progresses.  This could become the Official  "What Is The Best Strap?"  Thread  !!!      

Although I mentioned 2 others I actually do own - my vote would be for Dave F's  link - braided Franklin, because I have the banjo version and it works well with an 11 lb. banjo.  And, ordered one from Santa for guitar. Not padded, per se,  but a bit of elasticity which absorbs and distributes the weight.      G'Luck ! 

19 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Think I had that guitar.  Plastic., ukulele sized.  I think mine only had 4 stings.   Got rid of it when it was down to 2.  Black Diamond didn't make replacement strings.

Damn 40.  Making me misty eyed here.  Black Diamond was the first strings I learned to change way back in the "day".  🥴  The all plastic EMENEE guitar I had before used nylon strings that weren't worth the bother to change.  AND it had the same twine strap my first wood steel stringed guitar had.  [wink]

Whitefang

10 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Damn 40.  Making me misty eyed here.  Black Diamond was the first strings I learned to change way back in the "day".  🥴  The all plastic EMENEE guitar I had before used nylon strings that weren't worth the bother to change.  AND it had the same twine strap my first wood steel stringed guitar had.  [wink]

Whitefang

Cheez, don't you guys hang on to anything from your past?

52572094731_b67fee9450_z.jpg

Edited by Dave F

22 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

Yep.  I don't think I bought a complete set of strings until I was in my 30s.   One at a time, only when 'they' broke: the usual suspect the E1 !  

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Dave F said:

Cheez, don't you guys hang on to anything from your past?

52572094731_b67fee9450_z.jpg

That was the one !   I  had vague memories of that chord thingy -  but didn't mention it.  Because I wasn't sure I had one,  seen one, or dreamed one.  That photo could fit in nicely on the  "You Know You're Getting Old" thread.    "When you only had one pick and it was made of felt." 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/13/2022 at 10:27 AM, fortyearspickn said:

WOWSERS  -  just what  I've been looking for.    I really appreciate your help.   (just in time for Christmas ! )  

Did you get one? I just got a Black 3" for my new SJ200 Elvis

I haven't decided how to attach it.

52722673055_6ba1d0155d_c.jpg

Most of the time I try to find wide leather Bass straps, specially for some my lightweight guitars that tend to be effected by a little neck dive. This one is only 2.5" wide but holds the long neck quite well.

HEF1j47.jpg

On my 56 LP Std I use a 3.5" wide leather Bass strap.

Also I don't like strap locks so I sow the eyelet down to a size that requires me to remove the button and push the "button small side" through the eyelet and remount. So basically my straps don't come off.

Edited by mihcmac

I recently bought an Iconic Leathers 3.25" Wide Black Dual Padded Guitar and Bass Strap IL-5Blk from Amazon.. All leather, Wide & very good Padding.. Not to expensive.. Plus, it’s long enough for Bass & Acoustic Guitars.. I’d buy another…

image.thumb.jpeg.2285d42b20d64a33760fdfa49902ed6f.jpeg

I buy straps based on function rather than form, so primarily, they must be comfortable rather than pretty.

And since genuine Rattlesnake or milk-fed  Vicuna leather don't interest me, my guitars, or my millions of adoring fans, I simply scour the rack at my local music store, until I find something that satisfies my criteria and doesn't require taking out a second mortgage. About $50.00 CDN is the max that I've spent, and so far no one has been offended by my choices.

RBSinTo

3 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I like my leather straps to be as soft as a woman's skin.

😐

0*4whmixTg5Y8z34T6.jpg

I bought one of his Deluxe Nipple Straps for my Jazz Bass! Yes, my slap bass sucks...

Edited by Big Bill
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve tried at least 50 different Brands & or kinds non padded Learher, Woven, Beatle, Hippy, Braided etc etc etc kinds of non padded Straps & I haven’t found a comfortable one yet.. 

I buy to comfort my Neck, Shoulder & Back.. The one I posted a couple posts up is almost identical to the old Gibson I’ve just about worn the ends off of.. I think it was $40.00 on Amazon….

I bought this one for my Acoustic Guitars’. I’m going to buy another one or two.. For my Electric Guitars’’ & for my Bass’…..

Plus, they look great…

It works for me… 

image.jpeg

Edited by Larsongs