Gibson Brands Forums

TV & Movie Cowboy Guitars…..

Larsongs

It came up on the Guitar Strap Thread… Here’s my story..

It was Christmas in the 50’s… I was very young & along with my younger brother watched every Cowboy Show there was.. Anyhow, waking up Christmas morning I was so excited!

I went down & waited til Mom & Dad were up & we opened our Presents.. One of them was a Kids Hopalong Cassidy Cowboy Guitar. I was more of a Roy Rogers & Lone Ranger fan but so what! I got a cool Guitar!

Got a story?

• Like 1

EMENEE put some out too....

bc8244eea99559414e9fbb931dbcbb95.jpg

And Roy did it up right.  This one is made of wood!

s-l400.jpg

Whitefang

Here was my Cowboy guitar - a Roy Rogers model.  Got it for Xmas one year and it served me well considering my lack of skill, until about 7th grade when I had saved up enough to buy a real steel string guitar at the local store.  The back/sides and top were some sort of pressed board, the fingerboard was plastic, the neck and headstock were the only wooden parts.  It really didn't sound too bad for something that probably cost $10 out of the Sears catalogue.

jeSQgQ8.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I wasn’t aware there was a Ltd. Edition Martin D-45 Gene Autry Guitar?

Yup. Had one of those some time ago.    Almost doubled my money on it as well.   It bought many vintage pieces. 

15 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Yeah.  Those plastic frets didn't hold up too well.   I think, after the 100th time I asked my mother to get the pick out of the sound hole.  the guitar had an accident. 

Yeah, that EMENEE I mentioned had plastic frets.  And at the time I had NO idea how to tune it or how to hold ANY chords.  So I tuned the strings to sound like a chord, not sure which one, maybe C, and I'd change chords by placing my index finger over all the strings and go up and down the neck of the guitar.  Like, I later found out, how JONI MITCHELL did a lot. And too, Richie Havens.  But back then I never saw anyone play that way.  Ahead of my time?  Naw.  Just didn't know any better.  [wink]

Whitefang

18 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I had no idea how to tune or play my Hopalong guitar.. I just faked it! I’m pretty sure it was plastic as well. By no means a real Guitar but we all have our beginnings! 

Sure.  I saw an interview with B.B. King where he claimed his first string "instrument" was a length of wire nailed to the post holding up the overhang on the small sharecropper shanty he grew up in and the porch. 

Whitefang

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

Sure.  I saw an interview with B.B. King where he claimed his first string "instrument" was a length of wire nailed to the post holding up the overhang on the small sharecropper shanty he grew up in and the porch. 

Whitefang

I watched a Movie or Documentary & if I’m not mistaken Muddy Waters told the same story… 

Edited by Larsongs

On 12/21/2022 at 9:49 AM, Whitefang said:

Even "pretend" cowboys croon a nice cowboy tune.  And check out Ricky's fancy designed instrument.  (from RIO BRAVO..'59)

Whitefang

I loved that  movie. I worked with a guy at Burlington Northern that reminded me of Walter Brennan.  Talked, walked and acted just like him.  

My first guitar, my mother bought for me. The strings were so high up on the bridge that I couldn't even push them down. They were at least an half Inch high.  Junk.