Gibson Brands Forums

What wood is this?

caimi

It is spec'd sitka but looks unlike any modern sitka top I have ever seen. So I wrote to Gibson asking and the reply:   "It's spec'd sitka so it's sitka."   I'm not convinced. 

Oh, it's a 2020  Gibson L-00 Studio Rosewood . It's clear and loud and sweet sounding. If I had to guess I would say adirondack.  Gibson says sitka and they're sticking with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caimi said:

It is spec'd sitka but looks unlike any modern sitka top I have ever seen. So I wrote to Gibson asking and the reply:   "It's spec'd sitka so it's sitka."   I'm not convinced. 

Oh, it's a 2020  Gibson L-00 Studio Rosewood . It's clear and loud and sweet sounding. If I had to guess I would say adirondack.  Gibson says sitka and they're sticking with it.

You should ask in the Acoustic section of the forum. You will probably get more answers over there.

What wood is this, that came to be

on my guitar top, so grain-i-ly,

The man from Bozeman said Sitka Spruce,

but I think that it is Adiron-dack

It's Christmas somewhere.

Grain width can vary with many environmental factors, growing conditions, altitude, and age of the source tree.

• Like 1

I can’t tell by the picture. I used to think wider grain means Adirondack, but that’s not necessarily true. I have a Taylor AD17 whose spruce looks identical, and that is Sitka. I used to own a Southern Jumbo True Vintage a decade ago, where the specs said red spruce, but it was confirmed Sitka.

Enjoy it though!

This is my response to ghost_of_fl:   The answer I was hoping to get was an intelligent one. If, as I said, I didn't send a picture of my guitar with my question which was whether or not it was possible for this model to have an addie top, then the answer I got was not an intelligent one. It may as well have been, "Don't bother me,"  for all of the effort put into it.

Thanks to JWG4927  and Salfromchatham.   Your answers  go a lot further than Gibson's .

There are 35 species of 'spruce'.   I'm guessing a lot of them look similar and that within those - you can find some that look identical.     I guess Ghost's point was that  if you were looking for a 2nd opinion on 'social media'  - you'd get more than one.  More. potentially than 35 !.    I'm pretty sure you'd have to do a DNA test at an internationally specialized lab to get the definitive answer. No human ear - not even a dog's - could differentiate between the 35 species.  And, though you don't suggest it -  I don't think any human ear could state one sounded 'better' than the other.     

I have a J45 Custom. bought new from a 5 star dealer.  Spec sheet says Fretboard and bridge are RW.  I am 99% certain they are ebony.  But I'm not going to ask Gibson, because I know, in the bowels of their manufacturing process - the raw material sheet said  something was RW, regardless of whether it was, or whether the worker pulled a different piece.  

Like the poet said -   "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." 

Edited by fortyearspickn