Gibson Brands Forums

Arthritis?

19 minutes ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

My daughter and I are lefties too! Your post is spot on! Lefties are the only ones in their Right minds, lol. Check out a book called, "The natural superiority of the lefthander.". In a nutshell, it details the huge percentage (90%+) of world leader, astronauts, CEO's, etc., who are left handed, despite lefties comprising only around 14% of the population.

I have that book(somewhere around here) and had it for years.  And much of it described me to a "T".  especially the visual images when dealing with numbers and days and dates.  For instance, when I think of say, next Tuesday, in my mind I see the numbered squares of a wall calendar.  With the second square having a thicker border.   I still have two coffee mugs my wife got me.....  One says,

"Hire the left handed.  It's fun to watch them write."  [biggrin]    And....

"Everybody is born right handed.  But only the greatest are able to overcome it."  [thumbup]

And that book was how I learned that Glen Campbell was left handed.  But he played guitar RIGHT HANDED.   Didn't seem to be a liability, eh?

Whitefang

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I have that book(somewhere around here) and had it for years.  And much of it described me to a "T".  especially the visual images when dealing with numbers and days and dates.  For instance, when I think of say, next Tuesday, in my mind I see the numbered squares of a wall calendar.  With the second square having a thicker border.   I still have two coffee mugs my wife got me.....  One says,

"Hire the left handed.  It's fun to watch them write."  [biggrin]    And....

"Everybody is born right handed.  But only the greatest are able to overcome it."  [thumbup]

And that book was how I learned that Glen Campbell was left handed.  But he played guitar RIGHT HANDED.   Didn't seem to be a liability, eh?

Whitefang

I always saw Righthanded guitars as actually being lefthanded. Since my left hand, my "fretting hand" (on a "right handed guitar) is far more dexterous than my right hand, (which is my picking/strumming hand as a rhythm guy), I could never imagine being able to play a lefthanded guitar better as a lefty. Maybe that's just me.

• Like 2

Sure.  That's correct that on a "right-handed" guitar it IS the left hand that creates most the music.  And I remember over the years that pianists always revered the piano players that had a "good left hand".  

And I often wondered if I started out learning to play left handed on a guitar that was strung for left handed play if I might have become a better guitar player.  I'll never know that, so I quit worrying about it long ago.

Whitefang

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 8:28 AM, Murph said:

Reminds me of an old original from 10 years ago...

Damn Murph, love that song! Did you/your band record/play live, a version of it with with distortion laden electric guitars, maybe that enter after the first verse? (to me, your song has a Cinderella "Bad seamstress blues" vibe)

Edited by Sheepdog1969
typo

On 6/7/2023 at 9:57 AM, Sheepdog1969 said:

I, unfortunately, have rheumatoid arthritis, which I acquired, (supposedly) genetically. Pain, stiffness, and swelling in my hands started when I was 10 or so, and slowly began to travel up my arms for years. My hands would swell and hurt so bad, at night, that I couldn't sleep for more than a few hours at a time. But, in my Junior year at the University of Iowa, a friend graduated and gave me his Waterbed, (90% wave less and heated), and his gift was unrelated to my arthritis. Yet after a few days of sleeping on it, my hand/ arm/shoulder issues began to disappear. As a "side sleeper", the pressure on my shoulders from a normal mattress must have effected blood flow, but the waterbed did not. Obviously waterbeds are not for everyone, nor can I prove that waterbeds help with arthritis, but mine sure helped me, and I still sleep on one. 

I used to have one for decades. After I married it started to give me sore backs. By By. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Retired said:

I used to have one for decades. After I married it started to give me sore backs. By By. 

FYI, I began to notice similar issues with my back as well, particularly in my early 40's. that were obviously due to my mattress. 4 years ago my original "mattress" began to spring leaks at increasing intervals. I purchased a new one and learned that there are now options with essentially memory foam (or such) INSIDE areas the mattress that provide lumbar support, with a multitude of firmness, support area size, etc. differentials, that are designed to address this issue. Who knew? My new mattress eliminated the back issues, I had, associated with "old school" waterbed mattresses, yet still provides me with arthritis relief. (I found one that had less "foam" support in the "shoulder area" vs. the "back area", which is far firmer.) 

Edited by Sheepdog1969
grammar
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

Damn Murph, love that song! Did you/your band record/play live, a version of it with with distortion laden electric guitars,

No, we never recorded it. We did play it live.

We opted for this one on the debut cd, (I was limited to 5 originals) and then ran into a nearly half decade drummer debacle that turned me into an acoustic player.

Now I don't use drummers...

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Murph said:

No, we never recorded it. We did play it live.

We opted for this one on the debut cd, (I was limited to 5 originals) and then ran into a nearly half decade drummer debacle that turned me into an acoustic player.

Now I don't use drummers...

Unfortunately, my daughter is still sleeping and I didn't think to bring my headphones with me on vacation. (Single room with 2 queens with me not able to sleep, and using my crappy tablet to entertain myself) Thus, I am not able to check out "Double Aught", until later. But per your "drummer" drama comment, my experience with troublesome "gig band" drummers started when I was helping a friend out by running sound for his band.  During my first sound check with the band at a bar before a show, I asked their drummer if he could use his drum key to "tune" his set, because it was so "out". He looked at me and asked what a drum key was. Until that point, I had only worked with/played with percussionists who were formally educated music students, (those who had taken music classes in school since 5th grade or so). I was dumbfounded by his response, but took the opportunity to educate him. Since then, most of the "drummers" I have encountered were the least educated musicians I have ever met. Currently, my "drummer" is named Alesis SR-16, and she does EXACTLY what I tell her to do. 

Edited by Sheepdog1969
typo

22 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Sure.  That's correct that on a "right-handed" guitar it IS the left hand that creates most the music.  And I remember over the years that pianists always revered the piano players that had a "good left hand".  

And I often wondered if I started out learning to play left handed on a guitar that was strung for left handed play if I might have become a better guitar player.  I'll never know that, so I quit worrying about it long ago.

Whitefang

You just made me wonder why there are no left handed pianos. Then I found this. The pianist is speaking French and doesn't begin to play until 3.40

• Like 2

On 6/7/2023 at 11:26 AM, Sheepdog1969 said:

I always saw Righthanded guitars as actually being lefthanded. Since my left hand, my "fretting hand" (on a "right handed guitar) is far more dexterous than my right hand, (which is my picking/strumming hand as a rhythm guy), I could never imagine being able to play a lefthanded guitar better as a lefty. Maybe that's just me.

I was in a band with a left-handed guitarist.

He started on a so-called left-handed guitar when he was young. Bought a right-handed guitar a few years later because he couldn't find the style he wanted in a leftie model.

By the time I was in the band with him, we were in our 30s. He still played both lefty and righty guitars, and he said even though he stared on the left-handed model, and played both fairly equally, he played better on the so-called right-handed guitar.

He said the normal guitar is actually the left-handed one, and the left-handed models were a scam.

BTW, Hendrix was ambidextrous, but ate and wrote with his right hand (so I read anyway).

Notes ♫

• Like 2

On 6/5/2023 at 9:11 PM, Retired said:

Have to admit, that does sound good. So what foods do you eat? Especially protein? 

The hardest part of that diet for me was giving up eggs and chicken.

But I'm so pain-free, I'll never go back. I can walk, drive without an ice pack on my hip, play guitar, play saxophone and do all kinds of things that are more important than eating egg yolks and chicken.

I read somewhere that the reason modern chickens and eggs have so much Arachidonic Acid is they are fed corn, something they didn't evolve eating.

Notes ♫

Got a wake-up call from my chiropractor yesterday.   

I went to him because of a sore right shoulder.

He quickly determined it to be brusitis.

I have pain when I reach with my right arm.... I can even feel it when I reach over my guitar to play.

Seems since retirement, I play guitar nearly every day....for about 3 hours.

He asked about how I sit when I play.... I showed him....he asked about the shape of the guitar (he is somewhat knowledgeable of guitars).

Seems I slump over my guitar when practicing..... for my whole life I got away with it, because I played mostly on the weekends.   When I was playing out, I was on an electric guitar and was standing.

Now, I'm going to lay off the guitar for another week..... then play my Jubilee (not a Dread) & put the charts up at eye-level so I don't slump over to read.  

I'm hoping by doing all that, the pain the shoulder will subside.

As they say, getting old ain't for sissies!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Got a wake-up call from my chiropractor yesterday.   

I went to him because of a sore right shoulder.

He quickly determined it to be bursitis.

I have pain when I reach with my right arm.... I can even feel it when I reach over my guitar to play.

Seems since retirement, I play guitar nearly every day....for about 3 hours.

He asked about how I sit when I play.... I showed him....he asked about the shape of the guitar (he is somewhat knowledgeable of guitars).

Seems I slump over my guitar when practicing..... for my whole life I got away with it, because I played mostly on the weekends.   When I was playing out, I was on an electric guitar and was standing.

Now, I'm going to lay off the guitar for another week..... then play my Jubilee (not a Dread) & put the charts up at eye-level so I don't slump over to read.  

I'm hoping by doing all that, the pain the shoulder will subside.

As they say, getting old ain't for sissies!

Good luck with this; I'll be interested to hear how it works out.

If I'm practicing properly I have the guitar on a strap (standing or sitting) so it is always in the same position - quite high up.

But if it's in my lap I end up slumped and my back curved.  I have recently been having chiro and the lady was VERY insistent that I sit up properly  - "You WILL get pain if you don't do this".   I also found out I have a slight scoliosis now, probably because of a lifetime of bad posture.

Your lucky to do that.

Since my mobility limits began and the more sedentary life I lead sine that and the spine surgery I put on enough weight and girth that I find it difficult to sit and play my guitar in the same position I've used since I began playing.  I have to sit slightly sideways on an armless chair while also positioning the guitar slightly off to one side(to the right) and attempt playing it that way. 

And don't suggest standing as I've mentioned before that the added girth to my torso made playing my acoustic dreadnought  look like I'm playing a guitarron

dreamstime_m_76063195.jpg

Also, the spine surgery, while correcting one problem still leaves me unable to stand for any length of time comfortably.

So you're doing OK by my reckoning.  [thumbup]

Whitefang

31 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Good luck with this; I'll be interested to hear how it works out.

If I'm practicing properly I have the guitar on a strap (standing or sitting) so it is always in the same position - quite high up.

But if it's in my lap I end up slumped and my back curved.  I have recently been having chiro and the lady was VERY insistent that I sit up properly  - "You WILL get pain if you don't do this".   I also found out I have a slight scoliosis now, probably because of a lifetime of bad posture.

I'll post on here what transpires.    I'll lay off for this week....and next week I'm gonna start working on "Johnny B. Goode" which will be on the Strat......

The Chiropractor did want me to use a strap.... stand if possible..... but my hours of practicing are usually done sitting at the kitchen table with a chart laying.....I'll work on that when I start playing again.

19 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Your lucky to do that.

Since my mobility limits began and the more sedentary life I lead sine that and the spine surgery I put on enough weight and girth that I find it difficult to sit and play my guitar in the same position I've used since I began playing.  I have to sit slightly sideways on an armless chair while also positioning the guitar slightly off to one side(to the right) and attempt playing it that way. 

And don't suggest standing as I've mentioned before that the added girth to my torso made playing my acoustic dreadnought  look like I'm playing a guitarron

Also, the spine surgery, while correcting one problem still leaves me unable to stand for any length of time comfortably.

Whitefang

It's amazing how we harm our bodies due to living life!

Good luck..... I've put on a significant amount of weight since retirement.... and I rarely do any physical work now!

Good luck, I hope that works for you.

You might look for an old Parker Maxxfly or Dragonfly. Pickups like a Strat but only about 5 pounds if you find a DF (not PDF) version.

The neck is nice, and they stay in tune well, too.

I wouldn't go for the other models of the fly. The DF models are made of wood without the carbon fiber exoskeleton. Since Parker went out of business, parts for the carbon fiber ones are scarce.

The one on the left is a standard DF, and the one on the right I had made in the custom shop with Duncan P-Rail pickups.

NN01_2Parkers.jpg

If worse comes to worst, you might reconsider trying the diet.

I started getting the big bursitis pain in the late 1980s. I've been pain free ever since.

Notes ♫

On 6/9/2023 at 8:53 AM, Notes_Norton said:

I was in a band with a left-handed guitarist.

He started on a so-called left-handed guitar when he was young. Bought a right-handed guitar a few years later because he couldn't find the style he wanted in a leftie model.

By the time I was in the band with him, we were in our 30s. He still played both lefty and righty guitars, and he said even though he stared on the left-handed model, and played both fairly equally, he played better on the so-called right-handed guitar.

He said the normal guitar is actually the left-handed one, and the left-handed models were a scam.

BTW, Hendrix was ambidextrous, but ate and wrote with his right hand (so I read anyway).

Notes ♫

I always wondered about that? Yes, all the finger work and chords are left handed. The right hand just picks or strums.  Never tried a so called left handed guitar? Now I wonder if I could play better on one? My left arm was the one injured at 13 and it was so difficult to learn to play again as it was almost cut off. They had to find all the nerves that were cut but the thump nerve they couldn't find. My right hand fingers move faster. 

12 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Your lucky to do that.

Whitefang

Im limited to standing at length also. Weird as I can walk at length but not stand in one spot.  That guitar looks way to big for him, lol. 

12 hours ago, Retired said:

Im limited to standing at length also. Weird as I can walk at length but not stand in one spot.  That guitar looks way to big for him, lol. 

The guitarron looks too big for anyone.  By design.  It's the mariachi version of the bass guitar.  The large size adds depth to the tone.

Give a listen....

Whitefang

39 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

The guitarron looks too big for anyone.  By design.  It's the mariachi version of the bass guitar.  The large size adds depth to the tone.

Give a listen....

Whitefang

Sounds very good, too bad I don't have the possibility to have so big, they seem to me by sound more pleasant🙂

9 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Give a listen....

Whitefang

I bet it does. I have a Jumbo that needs a new bridge. It's pulled away. I plan on getting it repaired just to see what it sounds like? Over 40 years old. The wood should be well aged. 

Well, I'm back playing guitar after a 2-week lay-off.

I'm working on Johnny B. Goode, (a MAJOR undertaking since in no universe would I be considered a lead player), using a custom-made solid body electric guitar I got from my cousin's estate.   I got the guitar years ago, but he just passed away one year ago.

The Bursitis in my right shoulder is maybe 80% healed...but am now fighting a horrible pain in my back that seems to be affecting my left arm..... will be back at the Chiropractor's office later today.

Wish me luck, (with the shoulder as well as Johnny B. Goode).

Standing or sitting?   How much does it weigh?   I found I had issues a while back with my left shoulder due, I think to weight and strap, and made changes, after several  weeks layoff, and it went away.  Anecdotally, the causes may have been different and I'm sure my muscles, tendons, etc are.  

56 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Standing or sitting?   How much does it weigh?   I found I had issues a while back with my left shoulder due, I think to weight and strap, and made changes, after several  weeks layoff, and it went away.  Anecdotally, the causes may have been different and I'm sure my muscles, tendons, etc are.  

I am playing sitting, but with a strap.....I found I tend to lean over the guitar while the chart is sitting on the kitchen table.

After a while, I may use a music stand so I keep my head up while playing.

What I've done for years is to sit at the table.... chart on the table with a J-50 guitar and I could 'feel' the pain in my right shoulder as I reached over it.....so, I went 2 weeks without playing.... now playing a solid-body electric guitar...with a strap so I won't (I hope) lean over to practice.