Gibson Brands Forums

Arthritis?

9 minutes ago, duane v said:

Funny you bring this up but I went through a month stretch where I I wore a wrist brace on my right hand for a month and had to stop playing bass for about two weeks.

I explained to the doctor I had started playing bass left handed back in April and had been practicing 2 hours a day at least. Basically he prescribed a brace and a weeks worth of physical therapy and now I'm fine. Turned out it was a hypertension of the tendon. 

Glad you got the therapy.  Fortunately the issue wasn’t as bad as you feared..   …….My problem with playing bass would go far beyond a tendon problem.  I simply can’t play…….

• Haha 3

I had some arthritis in my little finger from a basketball accident, and inherited bursitis in my hip so bad that I couldn't walk 2 blocks without sitting down. (I'm not dispensing medical advice here)

A doctor who likes to try the dietary approach before anything, gave me the arthritis/bursitis diet. It's rather restricting, but it works for me.

My hands are fine, and I can walk 4 miles now.

If I stray off the diet for some time, like when I'm on vacation, I can feel it coming back in my hand and hip.

My neighbor was walking her dog, she needed a cane. Arthritis in her knees. I gave her the diet and in two months she was walking without the cane.

Will it work for you? I don't know. I also don't know about any health problems anyone else is having, so if you try it, you may want to check with your doctor first.

This is it:

For both arthritis and bursitis, treatment is similar:

Try the dietary approach first, and if that doesn't work, take stronger action.

Foods that may contribute to chronic inflammation are foods with a high glycemic index (foods that convert to sugar quickly), such as fruit juices, sugars, simple starches, or rice cakes, foods heavy in polyunsaturated or saturated fats, and foods high in arachidonic acid. Some specific foods to avoid are:

* Fatty cuts of red meat (high in saturated fats) lean is good
    * Organ meats: liver, kidney, and so forth (very high in arachidonic acid)
    * Egg yolks (very high in arachidonic acid)
    * Poultry - chicken, duck, turkey (very high in arachidonic acid)
    * Pasta (high glycemic index)
    * Juices (high glycemic index)
    * Rice, especially rice cakes (high glycemic index)
    * White bread (substitute whole grain breads such as rye)
    * Nightshade Plants bother many people (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, peppers, paprika)

Glycemic index charts can be found on the Internet.

Better choices are foods with a low glycemic index and foods that are heavy in monounsaturated fats. Some specific good foods are:

* Salmon and other fish
    * Oatmeal
    * Low glycemic fresh fruits and vegetables
    * Olives and olive oil
    * Peanuts and other nuts
    * Whey proteins
    * Lean beef is good, 100% grass fed is better

Mrs. Notes and I have 19 gigs this month, each one includes schlepping our gear, on stage I play guitar, sax and wind synth (= vocals) and stand for 3-4 hours continuously. With no pain. I'd rather not eat some foods than live in pain. YMMV

Notes ♫

12 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

I had some arthritis in my little finger from a basketball accident, and inherited bursitis in my hip so bad that I couldn't walk 2 blocks without sitting down. (I'm not dispensing medical advice here)

A doctor who likes to try the dietary approach before anything, gave me the arthritis/bursitis diet. It's rather restricting, but it works for me.

My hands are fine, and I can walk 4 miles now.

If I stray off the diet for some time, like when I'm on vacation, I can feel it coming back in my hand and hip.

My neighbor was walking her dog, she needed a cane. Arthritis in her knees. I gave her the diet and in two months she was walking without the cane.

Will it work for you? I don't know. I also don't know about any health problems anyone else is having, so if you try it, you may want to check with your doctor first.

This is it:

For both arthritis and bursitis, treatment is similar:

Try the dietary approach first, and if that doesn't work, take stronger action.

Foods that may contribute to chronic inflammation are foods with a high glycemic index (foods that convert to sugar quickly), such as fruit juices, sugars, simple starches, or rice cakes, foods heavy in polyunsaturated or saturated fats, and foods high in arachidonic acid. Some specific foods to avoid are:

* Fatty cuts of red meat (high in saturated fats) lean is good
    * Organ meats: liver, kidney, and so forth (very high in arachidonic acid)
    * Egg yolks (very high in arachidonic acid)
    * Poultry - chicken, duck, turkey (very high in arachidonic acid)
    * Pasta (high glycemic index)
    * Juices (high glycemic index)
    * Rice, especially rice cakes (high glycemic index)
    * White bread (substitute whole grain breads such as rye)
    * Nightshade Plants bother many people (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, peppers, paprika)

Glycemic index charts can be found on the Internet.

Better choices are foods with a low glycemic index and foods that are heavy in monounsaturated fats. Some specific good foods are:

* Salmon and other fish
    * Oatmeal
    * Low glycemic fresh fruits and vegetables
    * Olives and olive oil
    * Peanuts and other nuts
    * Whey proteins
    * Lean beef is good, 100% grass fed is better

Mrs. Notes and I have 19 gigs this month, each one includes schlepping our gear, on stage I play guitar, sax and wind synth (= vocals) and stand for 3-4 hours continuously. With no pain. I'd rather not eat some foods than live in pain. YMMV

Notes ♫

I remember that diet... I had bursitis that wouldn't clear up, and that diet cleared it up in a month. It's been gone for seven years now. 

• Like 1

I've been hesitant to enter this thread, because I've been blessed so far.

I did a lot of construction work in my life, which means, if you're right handed, you spend a lot of time smashing your left hand with hammers.....

I have a friend who did some professional butchering who said you cut your left hand with your right hand.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Murph said:

I've been hesitant to enter this thread, because I've been blessed so far.

I did a lot of construction work in my life, which means, if you're right handed, you spend a lot of time smashing your left hand with hammers.....

I have a friend who did some professional butchering who said you cut your left hand with your right hand.

I was a sheet metal worker early in my work life, (at Peterbilt).   With sheet metal, you cut or drill EVERYTHING!

One of the longest jobs I had with GM was to hang those sheet metal car hoods and hood reinforcements on a conveyor carrying them up to the spot welders.  Wore so much protection on my hands that only some areas on my arms would get cuts.  And having a low threshold for pain made me more careful of hurting myself.  Or less clumsy.  Your choice. [wink]

My Aunt Helen ran a deli type shop when I was a kid.  She once cut off the tip of her index finger on her right hand on one of those slicers you see in delis.  And she was left handed, but the machine was set up for right handed use as there were more right handed workers in her store.   I'm left handed too.  But when you're raised left handed in a right handed world you learn to make adjustments and do many things ambidextrously.  Which makes most right handed people more limited in their abilities. [wink]

Whitefang

• Like 1

Trying my first krill oil soft gel today.

Currently on Enbrel for ankylosing spondylitis which effects the spine and neck, though have shoulder and knee pain as well. Fingers crossed the krill oil helps because all of my favorite foods are on that list of foods that make you more susceptible to inflammation.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Narwhal6 said:

Currently on Enbrel for ankylosing spondylitis which effects the spine and neck, though have shoulder and knee pain as well. Fingers crossed the krill oil helps because all of my favorite foods are on that list of foods that make you more susceptible to inflammation.

That is a very nasty painful condition and you have my sincere sympathy.  I don't have it but knew someone who does and it was bad.

Apart from my condition outlined in my earlier post in this thread, I now have -

SCIATICA.    This is incredibly painful ATM and all the way from my right hip down under the kneecap into my shin.  Nailgun being fired into leg, shout out loud kind of pain.   Groanin' the blues kind of pain.   I am sure there will be others reading this who have had it.

I hope it is only a sciatic episode.   Seeing chiropractor again tomorrow.

Edited by jdgm

5 hours ago, jdgm said:

That is a very nasty painful condition and you have my sincere sympathy.  I don't have it but knew someone who does and it was bad.

Apart from my condition outlined in my earlier post in this thread, I now have -

SCIATICA.    This is incredibly painful ATM and all the way from my right hip down under the kneecap into my shin.  Nailgun being fired into leg, shout out loud kind of pain.   Groanin' the blues kind of pain.   I am sure there will be others reading this who have had it.

I had a bad run of sciatica. Pain from the butt cheek down to the two small toes on my foot. I went to a neurologist and he said it was from a bad disc in my back. He wanted to start injecting me with crap and maybe surgery. I refused and his final words to me were: "You'll be back." I started doing a lot of stretching exercises and in a week it was gone and never came back.

Edit: I shouldn't say "never came back". I've had minor bouts of it, but nothing that stopped me from doing anything.

Edited by gearbasher

8 hours ago, Narwhal6 said:

I hope it gives you some relief.  Give it some time.   I honestly think it’s helping me.  

Edited by MissouriPicker
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jdgm said:

Thankfully I have good posture and mostly just suffer from immobility, it's difficult to get up off the floor for instance. Turning my head is difficult too, but if the krill oil helps regarding pain that will be wonderful for sleeping. 😃

On 3/8/2023 at 3:26 PM, MissouriPicker said:

Growing old is not for sissies!  You’ve got to be a tough S.O.B.   When we were teenagers, we couldn’t see ourselves at 30.  It was a long ways off.  Then, all of a sudden we’re way beyond 30…….The 60’s arrive quickly and leave in the blink of an eye……All of a sudden the 70’s are here and flying by………. We’ve got to make a real effort to keep ourselves healthy.  There is still lots of music to be made.

Great lyrics for a song, Picker.

• Like 2

Perhaps this thread could be pinned?

Official moanie oldie aches n' pains type of thing.

Still got rib pain, it's 3 months today.  Sciatica improving slowly....hobbling around.  Pills, pills and more pills!

Dentist in a couple of weeks - constant ache in  L lower jaw makes me think it may be root canal time once again.

....(sigh)....[sad]

Edited by jdgm

On 3/8/2023 at 3:16 AM, MissouriPicker said:

Yes, we’ve got to keep playing!  Find the things that work for you.  Personally, I don’t think that Tumeric helps much, but if I quit taking it, I might notice a difference.  Maybe adding the Krill daily makes other supplements more effective.  ……Still, the best therapy is music.

I've been taking turmeric powder for years and it helped me heaps, though I’m using the more convenient form in tablets these days.  It has to be maintained in your system and stopping and staring won’t be effective. It took a month initially for it to do  the job but it did it well. Pain still creeps up and discomfort comes back as time goes by so sometimes dosage needs to be increased. I’ve got screws in my left thumb to lock the top joint in place and that helped a lot but now there is quite noticeable pain occurring in first two fingers of my right hand. I live on a property and work hard with my hands most days so this is potentially a problem for the future. Voltarin cream makes no difference though a few drops of CBD does help a bit.

My back is terrible so I’m only able to work a couple of hours a day and then rest. I guess soldiering on is my only thing at this stage.

Edited by Digger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/12/2023 at 8:06 PM, gearbasher said:

I had a bad run of sciatica. Pain from the butt cheek down to the two small toes on my foot. I went to a neurologist and he said it was from a bad disc in my back. He wanted to start injecting me with crap and maybe surgery. I refused and his final words to me were: "You'll be back." I started doing a lot of stretching exercises and in a week it was gone and never came back.

Edit: I shouldn't say "never came back". I've had minor bouts of it, but nothing that stopped me from doing anything.

In my late 20s I developed herniated discs in my lumbar spine.  Sciatica was so bad I was suicidal. I could not sit for any length of time because the intense pain almost blacked me out. I wasn't going to do the surgery because I had friends who did and it failed - made things much worse. As a last resort I went to a little old Korean doctor for acupuncture. His office smelled like a mixture of incense, fish and Ben-Gay.  I went every day for two weeks. He cured me. No problems again for 30 years. Fast forward to now - I'm entering my late 60s and the sciatica is back albeit not as intense as it was back when it first hit me. I deal with it by stretching. That seems to take care of it, for now. I refuse to take NSAIDs. That crap gave my wife stomach cancer. Now I'm getting the pain down my arms into my hands so I guess I have some disc issues in my thoracic or cervical spine as well.  Like Digger, I find that a CBD gummie will also help a bit.

Edited by 10PoundLester

4 hours ago, 10PoundLester said:

In my late 20s I developed herniated discs in my lumbar spine.  Sciatica was so bad I was suicidal. I could not sit for any length of time because the intense pain almost blacked me out. I wasn't going to do the surgery because I had friends who did and it failed - made things much worse. As a last resort I went to a little old Korean doctor for acupuncture. His office smelled like a mixture of incense, fish and Ben-Gay.  I went every day for two weeks. He cured me. No problems again for 30 years. Fast forward to now - I'm entering my late 60s and the sciatica is back albeit not as intense as it was back when it first hit me. I deal with it by stretching. That seems to take care of it, for now. I refuse to take NSAIDs. That crap gave my wife stomach cancer. Now I'm getting the pain down my arms into my hands so I guess I have some disc issues in my thoracic or cervical spine as well.  Like Digger, I find that a CBD gummie will also help a bit.

Thank you for the suggestion. CBD is technically legal here but only from Australian suppliers as spec is slightly different. Of course there are no suppliers yet. It’s how you have legal CBD without actually having CBD. Our govt. is illogically unhappy about engaging with anything to do with hemp. So my supplies come from the US with some trepidation each order but I might add some gummies next time and give them a try on your recommendation. Thanks again.

I find the drops wonderfully beneficial in a number of ways.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

April 23rd.    4 months now since original injury.  Still in considerable pain from ribs and the sciatica which suddenly started on March 1st.  Both have improved a bit but very, very slowly and some days are still bad.   Sleeping in any position is painful because of my ribs.  I try and sleep sitting up.  Playing guitar at all is a big challenge atm and I have to use the lightest guitar I have.

But I had a chest x-ray last week, gave a urine sample and have more blood tests on Tuesday.   Then book a phone appointment with the doc and he will tell me what they've  found (I hope).

Ech. [sad]

Edited by jdgm

On 3/23/2023 at 3:09 PM, Digger said:

I've been taking turmeric powder for years and it helped me heaps, though I’m using the more convenient form in tablets these days.  It has to be maintained in your system and stopping and staring won’t be effective. It took a month initially for it to do  the job but it did it well. Pain still creeps up and discomfort comes back as time goes by so sometimes dosage needs to be increased. I’ve got screws in my left thumb to lock the top joint in place and that helped a lot but now there is quite noticeable pain occurring in first two fingers of my right hand. I live on a property and work hard with my hands most days so this is potentially a problem for the future. Voltarin cream makes no difference though a few drops of CBD does help a bit.

My back is terrible so I’m only able to work a couple of hours a day and then rest. I guess soldiering on is my only thing at this stage.

I tried that for awhile.  Did not notice a difference then.  Deb put it in the food but got tired of eating it I guess? That Blessed Cherry juice helped but they stopped making it. I have artritus in both hands and in my nails. I spray Emu Oil on my hands, nails Thumbs and it helps for 3 hours. Problem is they start feeling better and I forget. I don't play much anymore but most of that was training Oliver to be house broke and not chew on anything. He is better now at 6 months.  Love it to go downstairs and Deb says, "Whew...you stink like Ben Gay!

Since this thread started, the wife and I have been taking the krill oil. From all the benefits linked to the krill oil, most benefits are based on how you feel and I'm not proud to say that I am easily convinced from advertisements. Oh, the power of suggestion. One measurable benefit is the balance of cholesterol levels of which I have a problem. Our next blood work will be in August, so we will see if there is an improvement.

4 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

I'm curious. Has anyone tried the Arthritis/Bursitis diet I posted earlier in this thread?

If so, is it working for you?

Notes ♫

I live a low glycemic inflammation reducing diet and when I want to lose weight I restrict carbohydrates even more. I do it more for general health improvement rather than arthritis/bursitis prevention or treatment per se. Coupled with no drinking for periods of time I can really feel healthy. Difficult to know whether it works or not. I haven't had debilitating arthritis like some here. I do have back problems which have improved since diet changes. 

4 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

I'm curious. Has anyone tried the Arthritis/Bursitis diet I posted earlier in this thread?

If so, is it working for you?

Notes ♫

I haven't yet, though I should. Most of what I eat is on the "not good" list. 

I think the krill oil has helped, perhaps it's a placebo effect but I feel less pain at work, and when I'm home I can pickup any of my guitars with less of a grimace on my face. The LP custom will remain in it's case however 😆 

9 hours ago, Narwhal6 said:

Most of what I eat is on the "not good" list. 

Man, you should have been here Sunday. Pork ribs from the Traeger, 7 hour smoke. Potato salad, baked beans, mac and cheese.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Murph said:

Man, you should have been here Sunday. Pork ribs from the Traeger, 7 hour smoke. Potato salad, baked beans, mac and cheese.

Have to admire that.  No matter how hard I've tried, or whichever suggested method I'd try I never could grill worth a sh!t.  And I've tried both charcoal and  gas.  I gave it up because of my respect for animals.

I mean, it's bad enough they got slaughtered  in able to feed us humans.  But to expose them to the further humiliation of me trying to grill them is just too inhumane.   [blink]

Whitefang

• Haha 1