Gibson Brands Forums

Patch inside 1994 J-100

Uniblob

Just bought a beautiful 1994 J-100 and wanted to see if anyone had any information about a weird foam rubber patch that is inside on the upper top bout.  The guitar has no electronics, but the patch is right at the spot where I have seen on-board controls on Gibsons of the same vintage. The patch is not concealing any damage at all. Using a very intense inspection light shows the wood grain totally undisturbed. And yes, the builder's name is written inside in pencil, Eric A. Luhrsen. Is it customary for the builders to write their name?  I've don't recall seeing it in other Gibsons I've had (but I also don't recall ever checking!)  It's a magnificent guitar and I have no concerns about the patch, really just curious if anyone knows the story.

B53ACCE2-5EEB-4DD7-A272-09A5CFD5AE2F_1_201_a.jpeg.e57161af351c14d0b51750664881ccc5.jpeg4D48EF0C-B50F-45EC-A1C6-662E695432F4_1_201_a.jpeg.69f1294508ae35c18a93484849a90259.jpeg53610D4E-8BA9-4BD5-85CB-9D405C1922A1_1_201_a.jpeg.74df943c934e7d5838820173cead15ab.jpeg

Here's my 1994 Harley Davidson LTD (Basically a J-180 that I no longer have ) with Eric's name in it:

IPXNetT.jpg

And this is from a 1995 SJ-45 Deluxe. Which I no longer have:

8rZXXli.jpg

As far as the names or initials on the insides: I spoke to someone at Bozeman about this. It was about 20 years ago, so my memory is iffy at best. Anyhow, he said at that time, there was a bit on animosity between the workers and management and they put their names in the instruments as a form of protest, because doing it was frowned upon by management. 

Now, my 1994 J-45 had the same patch and I always assumed it was for electronics, whether they were installed or not. But, I could be wrong.

Edited by gearbasher

Thanks for sharing those pics gearbasher, very cool. 

27 minutes ago, j45nick said:

Is it foam rubber, or velcro? looks like the fuzzy side of velcro to me.

No, definitely not Velcro. A very thin foam rubber. 

Best guess is the re-enforcement is there to cover a screw up such as that section of the side being over sanded.  I had always heard that in '93 and '94 Gibson was seriously boosting production numbers for the Centennial.  So, Gibson being a pragmatic and practical company, it is possible that they went with a quick fix rather than to scrap the part. 

As to names adorning the tops, these guitars were, of course, team built.  While it could have been, as has been suggested, a deliberate violation of company rules meant to serve as a protest, it might just have been a couple of employees who went the Tadeo Gomez at Fender route and signed or initialed a part they were responsible for.

In the end though, it might just remain one of those sweet mysteries of life.

I'm torn.

I mean, if the guy is a legendary builder with a stellar reputation that's pretty cool.

If the signature is a guy who quit after a short time and ended up working at the local car wash or became a taco bender living in a van down by the river, it would kinda suck.

Now I'm wanting tacos...

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Murph said:

I'm torn.

I mean, if the guy is a legendary builder with a stellar reputation that's pretty cool.

If the signature is a guy who quit after a short time and ended up working at the local car wash or became a taco bender living in a van down by the river, it would kinda suck.

Now I'm wanting tacos...

Yes! For all we know that guy could have worked there for six months and got fired for gluing weird foam rubber pieces inside all the J-100s!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Best guess is the re-enforcement is there to cover a screw up such as that section of the side being over sanded.  I had always heard that in '93 and '94 Gibson was seriously boosting production numbers for the Centennial.  So, Gibson being a pragmatic and practical company, it is possible that they went with a quick fix rather than to scrap the part. 

I think that's a stretch.    You screw up and then sign your cover-up ?

Edited by fortyearspickn
  • Haha 1

On 4/7/2023 at 11:14 AM, gearbasher said:

Here's my 1994 Harley Davidson LTD (Basically a J-180 that I no longer have ) with Eric's name in it:

IPXNetT.jpg

And this is from a 1995 SJ-45 Deluxe. Which I no longer have:

8rZXXli.jpg

As far as the names or initials on the insides: I spoke to someone at Bozeman about this. It was about 20 years ago, so my memory is iffy at best. Anyhow, he said at that time, there was a bit on animosity between the workers and management and they put their names in the instruments as a form of protest, because doing it was frowned upon by management. 

Now, my 1994 J-45 had the same patch and I always assumed it was for electronics, whether they were installed or not. But, I could be wrong.

That's "Jason T Jones", ex-Custom Shop builder, still at Gibson.  Does a lot of the fancy inlay design and artwork.  Skilled artisan and nice guy!

He hangs out on FB and you'll see him on the Gibson Acoustic Guitar group there.

Fred

On 4/8/2023 at 10:00 AM, fortyearspickn said:

I think that's a stretch.    You screw up and then sign your cover-up ?

Not sure how you know the person who signed the underside of the top would have had anything to do with the rim.  This unexpected build addition just leads me to think there was something about this section of the rim somebody at Bozeman did not want turning into a warranty issue which would be a major drag on the bottom line of any company.

Im guessing , if there are no separate strips to reinforce the sides.  If you bang the guitar on its side. The padding on the inside will absorb the blow .  

if you look inside the New J45s there is nothing.  I have a 2022 and theres nothing. If it splits the whole rim would let go. 

I never knew about random employees signing tops. Thats a first.   I have a few Custom shop 1994  guitars. Those are signed by the custom shop crew inside the top.   

2 hours ago, slimt said:

Im guessing , if there are no separate strips to reinforce the sides.  If you bang the guitar on its side. The padding on the inside will absorb the blow .  

if you look inside the New J45s there is nothing.  I have a 2022 and theres nothing. If it splits the whole rim would let go. 

I never knew about random employees signing tops. Thats a first.   I have a few Custom shop 1994  guitars. Those are signed by the custom shop crew inside the top.   

I believe the purpose of the side re-enforcements was to try and avoid the rim splitting from the pressure of having the top or back attached.  While it may be a coincidence, Gibson did away with the feature on all models but the J200 and CF100 (which were the highest priced acoustics in the catalog) in the early-1950s when they started to go with heavier builds.  

Edited by zombywoof

On 4/7/2023 at 6:54 PM, Uniblob said:

A very thin foam rubber. 

On 4/8/2023 at 3:25 AM, Leonard McCoy said:

The patch could have been placed there as reinforcement. Perhaps the sides are especially thin at that spot or developed a defect upon bending into shape. No signs on the outside? The material is a curious choice.

On 4/8/2023 at 6:49 AM, zombywoof said:

16 hours ago, zombywoof said:

If you bang the guitar on its side. The padding on the inside will absorb the blow .  

And so it goes ...   

• 2 months later...

Just seen this post. My 94 J-100xtra is the same, with the patch and Eric A Luhrsen's signature. The Patch is where the  electronics would have been situated, if they so wished to add, later in the production process. As for Mr Luhrsen an interesting guy, who lived in Bozeman, and has been shot a couple of times. I did a post about him a few years ago. 

Edited by frenchie1281734003

Doh. . . for optional electronics- missed the forest for the trees on that one, thx Frenchie.

And, quite the backstory. The wife running for help down “Ferguson Lane”. And of course, who should be investigating such an event for Bozeman PD other than a Detective Dove?

6 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

So I am guessing it was used, and was it disclosed that it was in there, or did you notice it till later? If not I'd be pissed.

Yes, it was fully disclosed. I bought the J100 from one of my best friends and in his words "this thing is a cannon, but I should mention, it has this weird patch inside...". 

My suspicion, as 62burst stated, was it was there for electronics that were never installed. The pic attached is a 1994 Gibson Gospel with on-board EQ electronics. The location of which is exactly where the foam rubber patch is located on the inside which to me makes sense as a damper to prevent rattling or undesirable harmonics of the components on the inside of the guitar.

Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 9.27.14 AM.png

So, as we peel the onion ...  if the thin rubber pad  IS related to onboard electronics when they are installed... (took a French from UK to steer us right)   does anyone here have a Gibson acoustic WITH electronics installed at Bozeman  which have this thin rubber pad underneath??