Gibson Brands Forums

New Gibson CEO AGAIN!

Rabs

https://www.premierguitar.com/gibson-guitar-ceo-transition

Gibson Brands, Inc unveils that its Board of Directors has appointed Cesar Gueikian, Gibson’s brand president, as president and interim chief executive officer, effective immediately.

Gueikian joined Gibson as chief merchant officer in 2018 and was appointed as brand president in 2021. In those roles, Gueikian has spearheaded pioneering solutions for brand momentum, product innovation, media evolution and artist relations. He has been instrumental in the resurgence of Gibson, setting a new strategy centered around instruments, sound, and an expansion into media. He brings 20 years of experience as an entrepreneur, investor and financier, and a lifelong passion for music and guitars.

“I am honored to take on this important role with a company that means so much to me,” said Gueikian. “Gibson has shaped sound for the last 130 years, and we now have the opportunity to drive the future of music and touch people’s lives for the next 130 years. We have an obligation to continue innovating across instruments, sound, and media and to continue inspiring fans and artists of all levels to create music. I look forward to working closely with our experienced senior leadership and team of incredible craftspeople to ensure the long-term success of the business.”

“We are transitioning to new leadership at a time of strength to ensure the company continues its momentum and is well-positioned to execute on its next phase of growth,” said Nat Zilkha, chairman of Gibson’s Board of Directors. “Cesar has played a huge role in the company’s recent success, including securing critical artist partnerships and overseeing the evolution of many of our most iconic product lines, and the Board has full confidence in his leadership.”

We understand collapse of Gibson has been prevented in 2019, there has been a successful turnaround and the reigns given to Cesar, who is perfect for this job. JC has probably been given a new assignment. It's a huge world out there, with many great firms struggling to stay alive economically. Some might be worth saving and have their profitability restored.

The KKR guys obviously know what they're doing. I wonder if there're any ideas about a Gibson IPO floating around...😎

Edited by OrdinaryNimda

1 hour ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

We understand collapse of Gibson has been prevented in 2019, there has been a successful turnaround and the reigns given to Cesar, who is perfect for this job. JC has probably been given a new assignment. It's a huge world out there, with many great firms struggling to stay alive economically. Some might be worth saving and have their profitability restored.

The KKR guys obviously know what they're doing. I wonder if there're any ideas about a Gibson IPO floating around...😎

How is it that anyone knows that a hedge fund/capital asset management entity knows anything about the guitar industry, and what indicators are there that an IPO would be a good idea?

Just curious.

rct

8 minutes ago, rct said:

How is it that anyone knows that a hedge fund/capital asset management entity knows anything about the guitar industry, and what indicators are there that an IPO would be a good idea?

Just curious.

rct

They know stuff about economics, finances and the way this world runs. And they're smart enough to employ & hire people, that know specifics of the industry involved (in case of Gibson, it was guitars) and have experience.

Indicators: moving JC into another troubled firm is good indication, that 4 years of hard work has worked as expected, with Gibson becoming economically stable & having a good long-term outlook, with room for growth. The KKR guys are not Mother Theresas, I assume, and will wanta make a dollar or two on top of this. So an IPO is not out of the question. (And my personal viesw is, shares would be very expensive, so would not jump into hot water right away.)

• Like 1

Wait,,

This can't be the same Ceasar...  I had a Goldtone amp for sale on reverb last year

I got bite on it from a guy who said he was from Gibson's Exec office and was interested in adding it to the Gibson Museum in Nashville.

I aint making this up.

His first name was Cesar.  - You tend to remember a name like Cesar.

He asked if I would ship the amp to Nashville.  The add said "Local pickup only"

But I told him if he'd pay shipping and insurance, I'd ship it. 

Never heard back from him.

Could it be?

40 minutes ago, Little Feat said:

If it was, and a guy who works for a multi-million dollar guitar maker, and he can't have them front the shipping cost that to them is a drop in the bucket. You should have said sure, I'll deliver and the amp is free as long as I get to pick out any guitar I want when I get there.

Et tu, Brute?

That was the first thought that came to my mind when this all transpired,   

The lack of response to my offer to ship, but no way I was paying the freight.  That amp weighs 89lbs. 

"Doesn't want it that bad I guess."  

Now I see this name pop up, and it's even more peculiar.

I sold that one via  "local pickup" about a week later.

3 hours ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

They know stuff about economics, finances and the way this world runs. And they're smart enough to employ & hire people, that know specifics of the industry involved (in case of Gibson, it was guitars) and have experience.

Indicators: moving JC into another troubled firm is good indication, that 4 years of hard work has worked as expected, with Gibson becoming economically stable & having a good long-term outlook, with room for growth. The KKR guys are not Mother Theresas, I assume, and will wanta make a dollar or two on top of this. So an IPO is not out of the question. (And my personal viesw is, shares would be very expensive, so would not jump into hot water right away.)

The only thing that has happened in 4 years is that Gibson has almost made their bondholders whole.  "Economically stable" in this instance is just a company that can possibly start looking at having private ownership again and a board that is not just the bondholders.

There won't be an IPO.  These companies are barely floating as private entities, there is not a way to please shareholders and make money in this business.

rct

9 hours ago, rct said:

The only thing that has happened in 4 years is that Gibson has almost made their bondholders whole.  "Economically stable" in this instance is just a company that can possibly start looking at having private ownership again and a board that is not just the bondholders.

There won't be an IPO.  These companies are barely floating as private entities, there is not a way to please shareholders and make money in this business.

rct

There was a huge financial mess to clean up, not just the Philips debt. And with all sorts of vultures circling a failing Gibson, KKR had to be so much more imposing to obtain the name, patents and factories, while keeping most of the highly skilled people employed to make it all work. No doubt they'll want to make some money here.

I agree it's a tough business with an endless acquisition war. I think Fender is very profitable, and Yamaha probably too. Did you know Yamaha Guitars bought the owner of GUILD just recently?

It's a good thing I buy lots of guitars from Gibson, cause the only relationship you'd want with them is purely transactional.  Ever see that TV show "Monsters Inside Me," where the people have some kind of worm crawling around in their brains and then it pops out their eyeball?  That's what's up here.  

2 hours ago, Farnsbarns said:

Speak for yourself. It's a weird assumption. Gibson turns over around $900M. I've been senior management in a publicly listed company turning over more than $2.3B, so yeah, I do know. 

Two major American guitar companies and the largest American musical instrument retail concern have attempted public ownership, more than once.  It doesn't work when any of them are reasonably healthy, so I don't see where anyone with any sense would take a barely up and walking company public.  With no public reporting requirements, you can only assume they are on the brink of paying off their bondholders.  You have to agree, it would also be an opportune time to have a raging fire sale and part the company out for as much as possible.

rct

Keeping Gibson a quality American brand, with American manufacturing and American employees must have been a tough endeavor for the last several years.

Kudos to everyone involved, including the floor sweepers, I say.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 6:16 PM, kidblast said:

Wait,,

This can't be the same Ceasar...  I had a Goldtone amp for sale on reverb last year

I got bite on it from a guy who said he was from Gibson's Exec office and was interested in adding it to the Gibson Museum in Nashville.

I aint making this up.

His first name was Cesar.  - You tend to remember a name like Cesar.

He asked if I would ship the amp to Nashville.  The add said "Local pickup only"

But I told him if he'd pay shipping and insurance, I'd ship it. 

Never heard back from him.

Could it be?

I reckon it could.

Cesar: Off the top of my head, there's Cesar Milan, Cesar Rosas & Cesar Romero. 

Oh yes and that Julius fellow.

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

I reckon it could.

Cesar: Off the top of my head, there's Cesar Milan, Cesar Rosas & Cesar Romero. 

Oh yes and that Julius fellow.

lets not for great Ceasar's ghost too!  but was he named Ceasar? :-k

1 hour ago, Farnsbarns said:

Having experience of being done with your undies on by every other greedy, smarmy, fast talking, sniveling little sh#* certainly doesn't make me a good candidate. [lol]

I'm not sure if I'm mortified or turned on by this sentence.  Remarkable!

rct

• Like 1

I don't know nothing about nothing, but the guys running the place are definintely doing something right compared to your usual modern managers-turned-manufacturers (or whatever Gibson is.)  Somehow, they haven't chiseled the specs of the product, which always sends manufacturers down a hole they can never fully recover from.  So they somehow have decided that maintaining the quality of the instruments is some kind of core goal of what they're doing.

The way I see normal modern managers is that when they start to find ways to chisel, the first thing they do is make the product cheaper.  Then they ride out the quick profits while the company slowly suffers.  The plan is that if the company's value gets whacked, you bail out and buy Belize.  Not so here at all, really.

It seems uncanny.  How could they possible not be ruining the place?  Somebody there has a good heart - for a schmuck, lol.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

This is 2 days old, but here goes:

Cesar Guelkian has been named as the new permanent president & CEO of Gibson Brands, Inc.
Congratulations and best wishes going forward!
 👍

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2023/07/10/gibson-brands-inc-names-cesar-gueikian-permanent.html

Edited by OrdinaryNimda