Gibson Brands Forums

HP Sauce

sparquelito

So.

I picked up a bottle of the HP Sauce.
Apparently a regular feature on the tables of many a British households and eating establishments.

Never had it before, but I'm keen to give it a go.
I'm planning on grilling some steak this week.
And I have some turkey thighs I want to roast, with some buttered rice and squash.

Anyway, what am I in for?
(I'm asking my friends across the pond, naturally.)

My DNA summary from 23 And Me confirms my blood lines from England, Ireland, and Scotland.
Will I take to this stuff like a fish to water?
Or will I recoil and promptly toss it in the dustbin / rubbish heap?

Do tell.

🤔

HP%20Big%20Ben.jpg

11 hours ago, sparquelito said:

So.

I picked up a bottle of the HP Sauce.
Apparently a regular feature on the tables of many a British households and eating establishments.

Never had it before, but I'm keen to give it a go.
I'm planning on grilling some steak this week.
And I have some turkey thighs I want to roast, with some buttered rice and squash.

Anyway, what am I in for?
(I'm asking my friends across the pond, naturally.)

My DNA summary from 23 And Me confirms my blood lines from England, Ireland, and Scotland.
Will I take to this stuff like a fish to water?
Or will I recoil and promptly toss it in the dustbin / rubbish heap?

Do tell.

🤔

HP%20Big%20Ben.jpg

I think I tried it when I was in Gibraltar. I don’t think I was a fan. I think I had it on eggs.

Fun Fact:   Worcestershire Sauce's secret ingredient is  ANCHOVIES !         

Sparky -  we have very similar DNA....   Wife did the "Ancestory" thing.   Every six months they change our makeup.  At one point she was related to a very unusual tribe from a South Pacific Island with blonde curly hair.   i'm serious ! 

Oh - and here, we have a Hot Sauce Shortage:   This from NPR.    https://www.npr.org/2022/06/17/1105477224/sriracha-shortage-chilli-climate-change   

35 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Sparky -  we have very similar DNA....   Wife did the "Ancestory" thing.   Every six months they change our makeup.  At one point she was related to a very unusual tribe from a South Pacific Island with blonde curly hair.   i'm serious ! 

Oh - and here, we have a Hot Sauce Shortage:   This from NPR.    https://www.npr.org/2022/06/17/1105477224/sriracha-shortage-chilli-climate-change   

There’s like 40 things in Worcestershire Sause.

59 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

That's why it's so hard to pronounce !    

Especially when someone  misspells "Sauce".  🙄

Anyway.....  judging by the color(or "colour") of the HP sauce through the clear glass bottle, it looks to be more like Heinz 57 sauce.  Which I sometimes dip French fries into.  And  sometimes dash some malt vinegar onto them.  Or even Worcestershire sauce.  A1 sauce too.  Rarely ketchup.

Whitefang

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Forum moderators and spelling police. We got it all here. Which pronoun are you? Point to the place on the doll the bad man touched you.

Really!   Almost makes a person want to refrain from participating in "light hearted banter among friends."   

52 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Really!   Almost makes a person want to refrain from participating in "light hearted banter among friends."   

Light heated banter. That’s funny. I also don’t think anyone wants us to have opinions here too. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

Ok Mr. Sparky,

I don't know what you will make of our beloved HP sauce. Its spicy and fruity. I have enjoyed it ever since I can remember. Very similar is Daddies, a bit more peppery & less fruity. Its especially liked in the north of England (I live on the south coast). 

HP (and Daddies): I would suggest not pouring this over eggs. Its best with sausages & burgers. 

I hope you do enjoy it. 

th?id=OIP.lO4-ugWVCfbseEinoInw7wAAAA%26p

• Like 2

"I think I could eat one of Bellamy's meat pies."

[biggrin]

I chickened out of buying a jar of Patak's Lime Pickle recently.   Powerful stuff.

I got a small jar of Geeta's lime and chili chutney instead.

3 minutes ago, jdgm said:

"I think I could eat one of Bellamy's meat pies."

[biggrin]

I chickened out of buying a jar of Patak's Lime Pickle recently.   Powerful stuff.

I got a small jar of Geeta's lime and chili chutney instead.

Fudco Hot Mango Pickle is similar, but less acidic. Hard to beat Greeta's chutneys.  

3 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Ok Mr. Sparky,

I don't know what you will make of our beloved HP sauce. Its spicy and fruity. I have enjoyed it ever since I can remember. Very similar is Daddies, a bit more peppery & less fruity. Its especially liked in the north of England (I live on the south coast). 

HP (and Daddies): I would suggest not pouring this over eggs. Its best with sausages & burgers. 

I hope you do enjoy it. 

Oh man, awesome!!

I see that I can get a bottle of Daddies from Amazon.

I'm thinking I'll order a bottle and enjoy a taste test comparison between:
Daddies
HP Sauce
A1 Steak Sauce
and an outlier,
Heinz 57 Sauce.

And I'll use my favorite palate cleanser in between, Aloha Shoyu soy sauce.

The test vehicle will be a meat-heavy meal, with steak and chicken hot off the grill.

🤔

7 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I'll bet you cheat at poker huh? Ain't sittin down with you at the table. No sir....🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃

You know I'm a joking at you right? Lite it up. er tip it.

Edited by CROWB8
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Read some where it was a misteak.🙃 seriously! Copied another recipie, failed, shelved, revisited to find it was different. Fermentation,. Poof, Worcestershire Sause.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Oh man, awesome!!

Daddies
HP Sauce
A1 Steak Sauce
and an outlier,
Heinz 57 Sauce.

The test vehicle will be a meat-heavy meal, with steak and chicken hot off the grill.

🤔

I'm familiar and like both A1 and Heinz57.

Not initially, but the off brands for A1 are very good. Way cheaper and my buds can't tell the difference. For me, mainly on steak. Nothing else.

Now Heinz 57 has no rival. Off brands don't cut it. It's like KFC recipie. No subs. I have it mainly on steak and burgers as well. Pork too. Great with eggs and pork in the AM. Eggs don't mind. But as the label says, chicken and fish work. But not for me.

--‐--

At the risk of you allready knowing,

I like Worcestershire Sauce. But I typically only have that when frying burgers, steaks, and pork *indoors* in a pan or griddle. Heat pan to temp, add a pad of butter and good splash of Worcestershire sauce in pan. Then toss seasoned burger, steak, or pork in pan. It lends an outdoor smokey/char taste.

gawd I luvs food.

12 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Oh man, awesome!!

Daddies
HP Sauce
A1 Steak Sauce
and an outlier,

🤔

Wow ! Sounds great. We dont have Heinz 57 sauce, so I may have to investigate that.

As for Worcestershire (pronounced 'Wooster') sauce.

I recall that it was a gentleman discovered some kind of curry recipe in India and was keen to have it reproduced back in England. He consulted the pharmacists (who were Lea and Perrins) and they sourced the ingredients and concocted it for him. Trouble was he never returned. They thought the stuff unsuitable for consumption and put it in the cellar. Years later they found it again and found it had fermented into the sauce we know today. 

I use it with tomato juice and also a little in a mug of hot oxo. 

• Thanks 1

In my opinion, Yorkshire Relish sauce is better than HP Sauce but ironically it's now made in Ireland and for a long time wasn't even available in Yorkshire for some peculiar reason, though I think you can now get it mail order.

Merciful Evens, I don't believe Daddies is popular in the North of England, I've never had it and I've lived there most of my life. It's HP that's popular up here (in the absence of Yorkshire Relish!    

17 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Ok Mr. Sparky,

I hope you do enjoy it. 

Is this what you guys over in the UK call brown sauce. Hope I spelled sauce right. I don't want to be that guy. 

Over here in the US we have ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise. Those are our big three. We have salsa for when we are eating Mexican food (I guess in Mexico its just called food) and some times hot sauce like Franks, Texas Pete's or Tabasco. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper