Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

Cougar

I always liked this model but was never really "in the hunt" for one.  Still, it was on the "dream list."  Well, the dream suddenly took shape when I saw this one being sold by the original owner:

Mint condition 2006 Gibson J-165, sweet sunburst, ebony fretboard, abalone rosette to die for, short scale, 15" lower bout.... a thing of beauty!

It hasn't had its photo shoot yet, but here are a few pics from the ad....

gib1.jpg

gib5.jpg

gib6.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Dave F said:

I've always liked the look and feel of these models, especially the burst with the ebony wood.

Yeah, they don't all have ebony fretboards, only for a couple years?  Pity Gibson had that all that ebony confiscated years ago.  Have they recovered from that?  Do any new Gibson acoustics have ebony boards?

2 hours ago, Murph said:

Vice versa?

Like, you bringing the guitar lots of joy?

Dig it.

I yell at mine all the time telling them to "WAKE UP"....

\:D/

Yea, sure - U know a guitar ain't much of a guitar if not played - like a song is very very silent if never sung. The sleeping depressed garage car becomes something else.                                                                                                                                              And the beautifully convex naked woman is almost invisible in the tower chamber of the dark cold mountain monastery. . . 

'Xept for when she silently steps into your imagination, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and mine -                                                                                         

'cuse me Murph. . . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Different Strokes ...  but if  I could have only one guitar -  I think it might be one exactly like that one !    Congrats !!! 

Yeah, I don't know what came over me.  I've really been playing 12-string mostly lately, and the J165 will sit second fiddle to my jumbo Guild F50R.  The 165 has a definite voice, though, saying "I'm here."

16 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Yea, sure - U know a guitar ain't much of a guitar if not played - like a song is very very silent if never sung. The sleeping depressed garage car becomes something else.                                                                                                                                              And the beautifully convex naked woman is almost invisible in the tower chamber of the dark cold mountain monastery. . . 

'Xept for when she silently steps into your imagination, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and mine -                                                                                         

'cuse me Murph. . . 

Thou dost speak so eloquently, that me thinks ye be a necromancer, or a wizard. Are you a white wizard, a dark wizard, or a guitar salesman? 🙃

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

Thou dost speak so eloquently, that me thinks ye be a necromancer, or a wizard. Are you a white wizard, a dark wizard, or a guitar salesman? 🙃

Ha he hehe ! , , , ʇsnſ ɯoɹɟ ʎɹǝʌ ɹɐɟ ʎɐʍɐ ˙ ˙ ˙ 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

It just occurred to me  why I like Gibson sunbursts.  They have 'depth'.  Sort of a 3D translucent quality so you feel you're looking in a limpid pool.....   This one nails it ! 

Good point - some bursts, though immaculately done, don't reach the mysterious depths into which some souls so easily fall, , ,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            one just perceives'n'accepts them as decorative statements made by skillful hands. 

• Upvote 1