Gibson Brands Forums

Iconic Sixties Songs

I was tempted to call this "favourite sixties songs" but I thought it may be a bit restrictive, so what does everyone think are iconic songs for that decade?

Here's one from The Kinks:

• Like 3

Iconic songs are probably regional.... especially in the 60's.

Since I resided in the San Francisco Bay Area for the entire 60's (until I got drafted in August, 1969), I'd say the following:

1.  White Rabbit

2.  Louie Louie (Paul Revere & The Raiders' version)

3.  Me And Bobby McGee

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Murph said:

Murph,

Did you know that the guitar player on that song was Strawberry Alarm Clock founding member Ed King?

Ed went on to join Lynyrd Skynyrd, and co-wrote many of their biggest hits, including (God help me, I'm so tired of this song) Sweet Home Alabama.

• Like 1

I was on the road in the late 1960s.

The most iconic song then was "Louie Louie” by The Kingsmen.

It stayed on the charts forever because it was rumored to have 'dirty words' in it. As I went gigging from city to city all over the Eastern and Midwestern USA, different regions had different version of the 'dirty words'.

The U.S. FBI actually launched an investigation into those 'dirty words' in an effort to 'protect' the youth of our country, spending millions of our tax dollars in the process. In the end, the verdict was, “We don't know. We can't understand them.”

Eventually we 'graduated' from singles clubs to becoming the opening act for the famous bands in concert. We opened for the Kingsmen, and when asked, they told us there were no 'dirty words'. The mic was hung too high, they did too many takes, and Jack Ely just mumbled the original Richard Berry lyrics.

They were aware of the rumor, and their manager told the band to neither confirm nor deny the rumor, because it was selling more records.

Funny, when spending those millions of our tax dollars, they never asked Jack Ely what the words were.

Check out how many cover versions there are here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louie_Louie

Notes ♫

• Like 3

Purple Haze.

Gimme Shelter.  Satisfaction.

Dylan - All Along The Watchtower and...all the others!

Light My Fire, When The Music's Over, The End - The Doors.

[thumbup]

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

I was on the road in the late 1960s.

The most iconic song then was "Louie Louie” by The Kingsmen.

It stayed on the charts forever because it was rumored to have 'dirty words' in it. As I went gigging from city to city all over the Eastern and Midwestern USA, different regions had different version of the 'dirty words'.

The U.S. FBI actually launched an investigation into those 'dirty words' in an effort to 'protect' the youth of our country, spending millions of our tax dollars in the process. In the end, the verdict was, “We don't know. We can't understand them.”

Eventually we 'graduated' from singles clubs to becoming the opening act for the famous bands in concert. We opened for the Kingsmen, and when asked, they told us there were no 'dirty words'. The mic was hung too high, they did too many takes, and Jack Ely just mumbled the original Richard Berry lyrics.

They were aware of the rumor, and their manager told the band to neither confirm nor deny the rumor, because it was selling more records.

Funny, when spending those millions of our tax dollars, they never asked Jack Ely what the words were.

Check out how many cover versions there are here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louie_Louie

Notes ♫

This is exactly how I remembered their version of the song....and we used to play the record over and over to try to figure out the 'dirty word'!

2 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Murph,

Did you know that the guitar player on that song was Strawberry Alarm Clock founding member Ed King?

Ed went on to join Lynyrd Skynyrd, and co-wrote many of their biggest hits, including (God help me, I'm so tired of this song) Sweet Home Alabama.

Yep.

Sure did.

• Like 1

This was a huge hit in the UK way back then....such a different sound at the time.   Great shame about Alan Wilson, he was amazing.

Edited by jdgm

4 hours ago, Murph said:

Yep.

Sure did.

Here's another one for you.

I mentioned earlier, Green Tambourine, by The Lemon Pipers.
A one hit wonder band.
Their guitar player was Bill Bartlett.
Good dude.

Years later he emerged as the guitar player of the band Ram Jam.
They had a 1970's hit with a revved-up guitar tour de force version of Black Betty.
Another one hit wonder.

I'm gonna shut up now.

😐

MV5BMTYzZjI5YzQtMzY2Yi00N2IzLWI0ODMtNjQ5

We'll have to go to the judges on this one, technically recorded in 1969, album not out until 1970, single not until 1971 when the show was on the television machine:

rct

• Like 1

I always loved Harry's work and his thought process.

If everybody watched The Point as a child, the world would be different.

Huge influence on my writing and a guy who just wanted to create.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rct said:

rct

I actually like all those tunes. especially Glen Campbell. I love his old stuff. Wichita Lineman especially ...  I remember watching his show as a kid in the 60's

11 hours ago, rct said:

We'll have to go to the judges on this one, technically recorded in 1969, album not out until 1970, single not until 1971 when the show was on the television machine:

rct

39 minutes ago, Murph said:

me too. I had more than a few of his albums. watched The Point as a kid. had the 45 ...  the Schmillson & Son of Schmillson albums ...

On 1/2/2024 at 10:34 AM, fortyearspickn said:

Hey Jude   -   The Beatles

Honky Tonk Women -  The Rolling  Stones

Classic, but that is The Beatles song I loath the most. Its a 2 min 50 sec song that is okay, and then ruined by 5 mins of Paul moaning Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah.

Pretty much any 60's Beach Boys song about surfing, girls or cars. Which is all Brian pretty much wrote about. Funny only Dennis surfed. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

5 hours ago, Murph said:

Harry was a great talent and an even better drinker.

As a kid I loved Coconut off the album of him in the bathrobe, but that is a song from 1971.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper