Gibson Brands Forums

Is Gibson building big body Electrics??

I noticed Gibson isn’t making ES125, ES135, ES175, L-5 & other big Body Electric Guitars? Is this true? If so, why? I’m interested but don’t see any? Am I missing something?

How many variations of LP’s & ES335’s do we want or need?

You’re not missing anything. When I was at the Gibson Garage in October I asked one of the sales reps if there were any plans to bring back the 175 (as one example). His short answer was no. I believe we touched on the possibility of an L-5 (as yet another example) being built on a custom order basis, but no plans for big hollowbodies in regular production. 

14 year olds who listen to Green Day and Taylor Swift are known to be huge ES-175 aficionados. 

If they did a 175 it would be north of 5k for one. Of that I’m certain.

You guys know it’s the LP and J-45  that the, and I’ll quote, the “youts” really dig. Not oversized Jazzboxes. 

I saw My Cousin Vinny too. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

14 year olds who listen to Green Day 

This is a thing?

I assumed nobody was listening to them, which is why they have to try so hard to stay relevant.

9 minutes ago, Murph said:

This is a thing?

I assumed nobody was listening to them, which is why they have to try so hard to stay relevant.

Kids love fake punk rock played by a guy around my age (57).  That clown dresses like an 14 year old to look cool.  GD also tells all the fake 14 year old punks the Woke message. 

I just looked the guitar player / whinny singer is 51. Off by 6.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

21 minutes ago, Murph said:

This is a thing?

Weren’t they somewhat relevant like 20 years ago? Those 14 olds are now in their mid 30’s! Although, I guess they are the Bar crowd Bands play to these days…

They were in the news lately and my comment on another site:

Green Day…. Green Day…. Oh yeah, I remember now! My daughters listened to them about 20 years ago, along with Nelly and Eminem. I thought they’d be busy working the Carnival Cruise ships by now.

2 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

They were in the news lately and my comment on another site:

Green Day…. Green Day…. Oh yeah, I remember now! My daughters listened to them about 20 years ago, along with Nelly and Eminem. I thought they’d be busy working the Carnival Cruise ships by now.

Ah . . . Green Day and Blink 182. Punk for woosies who can't handle Black Flag or The Dead Kennedy's.

I like my punk with a little pop mixed in so I can tap my foot while fake banging my head. Then I'll go into the closet and listen to Ms. Swift with head phones on. 

I suppose it makes sense from a business point of view.  There are too many highly skilled custom builders (and Heritage) and plenty on the s/h market. 

Also there was an explosion of semi and archtop variations and models during the HJ years.  The doublecut L5, the Crimson series, the Johnny A,  many ES-designated models; I have a fine special run ES-175 from 2013 in ebony with hot-wound P94s and a Bigsby.  Very glad I bought that now.  P3 of the 'whip out your rig' thread. 

Edited by jdgm

I think I'm set on the big body arch tops. I can slap a pickup on one as needed. But I have always wanted to try out a Byrdland.

51248225540_25772764f9_c.jpg

Edited by Dave F
  • Like 4

We'll probably have to wait for Gibson to change ownership again.

Then we'll be complaining about the good old days when there were 50 Flying V variants to choose from and remember when there were like 25 Explorer models?  Those were the days, these new guys, I dunno about them and their giant arch tops, paint isn't all bubbled and deformed, what the hell, they don't even offer a gig bag.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, jdgm said:

I suppose it makes sense from a business point of view.  There are too many highly skilled custom builders (and Heritage) and plenty on the s/h market. 

What? How many LP’s, SG’s, J-45’s et al, are for sale used, so do we need more of those?

19 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Ah . . . Green Day and Blink 182. Punk for woosies who can't handle Black Flag or The Dead Kennedy's.

I like my punk with a little pop mixed in so I can tap my foot while fake banging my head. Then I'll go into the closet and listen to Ms. Swift with head phones on. 

Black Flag. Rollins is impressive.   I'm not a fan of Green Day.  Billy Joe whatever singing like he's got a raging sinus infection. 

7 hours ago, Karloff said:

Black Flag. Rollins is impressive.   I'm not a fan of Green Day.  Billy Joe whatever singing like he's got a raging sinus infection. 

HR is good but too angsty for me. Nervous Breakdown with Kieth Morris is the best