Gibson Brands Forums

Message for the forum from JDGM

Rabs

hi mesho! Your uncle is super cool! Can you tell him Dub says hi? 

If there’s any way we can help, be it financial or just sending some books or something to watch videos on or whatever to pass time, lots of guys here would be eager to do anything that may make this less unpleasant 

Back pain alone can get so intense and with all these issues our friend is really suffering right now 

It sounds like he’s getting good medical attention. I just hope his pain is being properly managed and that he comes out of this feeling much better than before 

Godspeed John, nothing but love for you here bud 

• Upvote 1

On 4/30/2024 at 5:09 AM, mesho said:

Hi there, I am John's niece. He showed me this thread and told me how moved he was by all of your comments. He is reading but can't log in so please do keep your best wishes coming and keep him in your thoughts as he deals with this. He will be having surgery very soon. Thanks from all of us. 

Praying for John to recover from this. I also would love to read more posts from him. Tell him to think Positive! 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Hello to everyone from me -  JDGM 

This is a shortened summary but still a long post, so please bear with me.

First my biggest  heartfelt thanks to Rabs and to every one of you. I have been moved to tears lots with all the support from ALL of my family and friends I've managed to tell about this so far.

Here's short resume of whats  gone on and not gone on, to date.......

Prelude; I strained my back and ribs moving furniture in spare room Xmas 2022 (yes way back then).

But it didn't get better at all.  I went to a chiropractor right after that, and in March also got crippling sciatica in my right leg. I stopped taking some blood thinner pills (Edoxaban) I'd been put on immediately prior to the back strain, and it got a bit better over the rest of the year (2023).

However in mid Jan this year the sciatica suddenly came on so hard I couldn't walk; and then I noticed my ribs were starting to hurt again, more and more.  I was still thinking it was muscle strain - and I've always had a back problem inherited from my Dad.

We played a jazz gig Fri April 5th which I found very diffficult sitting or standing.  Next day the sax player phoned up to chat and - hearing my voice and me telling him that it hurt to breathe -  immediately told me I must go to A&E or he would call an ambulance.  You cannot and don't argue with this guy when he is in that mood, and I phoned my sister who lives 10 miles away and got her to take me to the main Accident and Emergency dept at the Royal Surrrey Hospital in Guildford, also fairly near me.   X rays, return for scan next morning.  USA members please understand that the National Health Service  in UK is free, as you pay a monthly contribution all your working life.

Result; widespread emphysema, potential lung cancer upper right lobe, pulmonary hypertension.  Bigger more detailed MRI/CT scan scheduled for week after.

Returned for big scan Sat 20 April.  2 hours after getting home from this, called back to hospital as inpatient as scan indicated I urgently need an emergency operation.

Main problem; vertebra number T8 has collapsed and has a growth on it, now threatening to impact my spinal canal.  That was always the inherited bit.

After a week of tests etc I was ambulanced up to Atkinson Morley London spinal unit on Monday 29th April.  On the emergency list for op...but.... after assessment they realised I've still very fortunately got all the feeling in my trunk/back/legs/feet so I kept getting put  to the back of the queue to be operated on. It is the main S London and outlying area trauma/spinal centre after all, and people  have serious accidents etc daily and nightly in droves in big cities.

So I lay in a hospital bed all week waiting, getting very stressed and reading all your incredibly heartening and strengthening messages on a mobile phone screen.  I didn't have my forum password so couldn't post, but once again thanks to Rabs, my beautiful wonderful niece Mesho and my sisters.

So now it is the May Day Holiday weekend in this country, which includes Monday. 

This morning I was removed from the emergency list and put on the elective list, which is simply the list of less frantically serious ops they have to do.  I was driven home this evening and they will call me on Monday, collect me - they'll have to - and take me in for the scheduled back operation on Tuesday.  3-5 hours from start to finish depending on any complications etc.   I may still get pushed down the queue but it should get done this next week; then some days recuperation, and if no complication or infection I come back home again for convalescence. 

The operation is to completely remove vertebra T8 and put in carbon screws and short pins or very small rods. The distances are millimeters.  After 4 weeks there will be some intensive radio/immuno/chemotherapy, and that is when I will also become a lung cancer patient.  The spinal unit in London is not involved in that, so I will have to have a lung biopsy (probably general anaesthetic) but not for at least a month I think.

That is where things stand now, 4 May 2024.   I'm very glad to be home tonight instead of in a stuffy hospital bed with lights and alarms going off all night.  I have to wear a back brace until the op is done or just stay in bed rest.  They gave me a big one to wear (they want it back after) and I have another couple of cheapies I can wear at home if it gets too uncomfortable. 

I can feel the T8 vertebra is at a nasty angle collapsed and sticking out -  and am being very careful.  I still have some mild sciatica; but I am certain this too will go when they remove the vertebra.  I am on steroids and a number of other things for pain, prostate, gut management and so on. 

And when I walked back into my little house tonight I immediately realised that everything  has changed.  

Cancer? Oh yes I did it. I smoked cigarettes daily from 1969 to 2014 and more contraband than Bob f***in' Marley at one time. And you can believe me or not; but the latter enabled me to function normally and far, far  better than I would have without it for many years.  There are logical reasons I won't detail here and now.  I loved it.

My Dad was a far heavier tobacco smoker than me.  He died because of what it did to him; not cancer but an aortic aneurysm during heart bypass surgery, 1977.  

The giant tobacco companies did a very effective advertising job for decades, as we all know. 

If you do insist on inhaling the smoke from burning vegetation at 100 degrees into your lungs for a long time (search for ingredients of cigarettes) then there will be adverse consequences.

I'd rather cancer wasn't there (they think 90% chance but must be confirmed by biopsy)  but I regret none of it.  No point.   As it's pretty damn sure I have cancer, then it's mine isn't it?  I OWN it.  Not the other way around.

Once I'm out of hospital and at home again - which is at least a week or more away - I will be posting once more.

And I thank you all again from the bottom of my heart. 

My very best wishes

John

jdgm

P.S. The new Scott Henderson CD is really good IMO.

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

Good to hear you are home mate - I don't know the recovery time for the vertebrae fixes, but hopefully you'll be up and about without the pain quickly enough (which will be awesome!)...and the other stuff can then get in line for action in due course. I know from personal experience that sometimes one medical issue can be a blessing as it facilitates a more critical issue being unearthed and dealt with before the owner becomes older and less able to recover.  Wishing you a speedy recovery. [thumbup]

• Thanks 1

Hi Mate, I have always considered you a friend and have enjoyed our interactions over many years.  

My thoughts are with you! I anticipate a positive result for you and please know I will be sending positive wishes to my friend John.  Modern medicine can do wonders these days and we all look forward to your return.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2024 at 8:34 PM, jdgm said:

Once I'm out of hospital and at home again - which is at least a week or more away - I will be posting once more.

John, I had to spend a few days thinking about how to reply to your long awaited post. First, I was overwhelmed by your account of your "punch in the gut" situation, and your tough as nails pragmatism when laying it out for us. I'm not one to tear up, but your lovely nieces' post here, followed by your straight forward post immediately after getting home after days of waiting for an emergency surgery that became delayed due to more emergent cases, evoked a flood of memories I thought I had suppressed. I hope you understand what I am about to say, and I only say it because I have complete faith that you will beat this crap "like a red headed step child". My teary eyes were for your loving family and close friends who have had to endure the trauma of your now protracted coarse of treatment.  You appear to be a "take the bull by the horns" guy, who is more concerned with how your situation effects others than how you will surmount upcoming hurdles. (Bad a$$es like you can do this because those upcoming hurdles are just the newest in a massive line of them that you have previously jumped over.) I bet you have spent a considerable amount of time consoling loved ones by telling them that. "Everything will be OK.", and "Don't worry about me, you have more important things to worry about.". (Isn't it weird that many of those closest to you seem more distressed about your situation than you are?) It's as sweet as it is annoying, IMO. Isn't it refreshing when a close friend simply walks in and calmly says, "F-you lazy bones, kick this crap's butt so we can get back to doing our thing! Chop chop, I ain't got all day! Oh, and you owe me 20 pounds, so don't think this will make me forget about it."

About 8 years ago my father fell and broke his C3 vertebra. Thankfully, the break did not effect his spinal cord, which would have been fatal. Like you, his surgery continued to be pushed back due to more emergent cases. After 4 days of waiting, I was compelled to demand the surgical repair, or I would remove him from the hospital and fly him to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, where he had previously undergone successful prostate cancer surgery. Three trips to pre-op, followed three surgery cancelations/postponements were mentally devastating for him and most of our loved ones. He did have a very successful surgery on the fifth day, I mention this because you are going through the same thing. I have no doubt that you are dealing with this delay far better than many of those around you. At least you can gauge how intensely some people love you by how freaked out they are by your situation. Conversely, you can gauge how intensely others love you by their unwavering faith in your ability to overcome anything that life throws at you. The latter group tends to be less stressful for you.

Remember, you are the Maestro of this dramatic symphony. It is at your direction, that each  member of this collective ensemble performs. This includes all of your physicians and medical staff. They are YOUR studio musicians, and they ultimately work for you. If any of them don't see it that way, then don't hesitate to read them the riot act. Any of them who fail to adhere to your direction are not worthy of performing in your orchestra. Like any great Director, you are responsible for knowing how every part of this complex arrangement is to be performed. Take advantage of the time prior to each upcoming performance to understand completely, any parts/sections you may not currently be familiar with. Rarely is a Maestro able to play every part/every instrument in the arrangement he is conducting. Yet, the musicians under his direction respect his guidance because they know he has devoted enormous amounts of time studying the entirety of the composition. Although it is incumbent upon a Director to respect the skills and professionalism of the musicians in his charge, this does not give license for said musicians to supersede the authority of their director. It is your responsibility to become the Maestro of the varied collection of professionals performing in your symphony. I don't expect you to be anything other than that.

You have the might of the loving Gibson Army standing behind you. I know your upcoming performances will be nothing less than exceptional! God's speed brother.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thankyou all again.

I know how your father felt.  Oh yeah it was  stressful.  Couldn't really be more stressful in fact. Especially when you find out it's not going ahead after 12 hours then 4 days.  Blood pressure through the roof, no sleep, worry, even despair.

My family have been the supportive ones - I'm not confident, badass or heroic at all.   Fear, resignation...bit more fear...here's a bit of confidence...acceptance....no here comes the worry again.   Ignore as best I can and get on with something.    I don't conduct/control this either, unfortunately.....just have to carry on and accept it all as it comes.  

Should all be starting again tomorrow and let's hope the timingand harmonies are good. It is my gig,  I can agree with that bit.  I'm the piece being arranged and recomposed.

Hoary old cliche - yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today a gift.  Unless you're a crap gambler which most of us are when it comes down to it. 

At least I've had a quiet weekend except for the neighbours'  bloody great dog which came into my garden and stood there barking.  It's never the dog it's the owner.  That completely pissed me off.

I've signed so they can use photos etc for teaching.  I want some photos too.

I'm going to ask for a bone souvenir.  [wink]

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Thankyou all again.

I know how your father felt.  Oh yeah it was  stressful.  Couldn't really be more stressful in fact. Especially when you find out it's not going ahead after 12 hours then 4 days.  Blood pressure through the roof, no sleep, worry, even despair.

My family have been the supportive ones - I'm not confident, badass or heroic at all.   Fear, resignation...bit more fear...here's a bit of confidence...acceptance....no here comes the worry again.   Ignore as best I can and get on with something.    I don't conduct/control this either, unfortunately.....just have to carry on and accept it all as it comes.  

Should all be starting again tomorrow and let's hope the timingand harmonies are good. It is my gig,  I can agree with that bit.  I'm the piece being arranged and recomposed.

Hoary old cliche - yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today a gift.  Unless you're a crap gambler which most of us are when it comes down to it. 

At least I've had a quiet weekend excwept for the neighbours'  bloody great dog which came into my garden and stood there barking.  It's never the dog it's the owner.  That completely pissed me off.

I've signed so they can use photos etc for teaching.  I want some photos too.

I'm going to ask for a bone souvenir.  [wink]

John,

Good idea.

Unless you get the old parts back, you can't be sure they performed the surgery.

RBSinTo

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

The best thing I did all week was on last Monday while waiting to be transferred to London.

I was still in the Guildford ward, and there was a guy next to me who has throat cancer.  Now any cancer gets painful but you don't want throat cancer at night - really nasty and  it was pretty hard to listen to his pain every night.  But we talked and he said he played a bit of guitar and liked Pink Floyd. 

Just before I was due to leave he asked me if I could write out the big 4-note riff to "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" so he could learn it, and I did. 

Quickly sketched out 2 fret diagrams for the fingering, a few of the intro chords - C comes in underneath it then Eb7, D7 and to the Gmin and then the F to Gmin emphasis.  And it was correct.

That's what I gave him in about 2 minutes on the back of a bit of paper and explained it.  That's what I can still do from memory even after not teaching for well over 25 years.  Without having a guitar there either.  I can hear it, visualise it and put it down in a way he could learn it.   That was my heroic bit if there was one.   Lucky me.

Lucky me.

Do you understand?

I'll see you guys later.

🎸

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

John, you meet some characters in hospital like nowhere else. I had over 40 nights inpatient in 2022 and it was a spaced out mix of the (feckin truly) weird and the (somewhat drug induced) wonderful. I have stories of characters and events and pain for a lifetime [laugh] and know now that nurses are actually angels on Earth. The human body is amazing and a good motivator for me was figuring out lifestyle changes I would make afterwards to show my newfound respect for it and for those who kept me alive whilst messing around fixing things inside it. Better days are ahead for you mate!

Edited by 'Scales
Cos I can’t spell dammit
  • Like 3

Glad to hear you were “paroled” from the hospital until the surgery will take place.  Hospitals are miserable places.  Never stayed in one more than one night until my aortic valve replacement surgery.  Then it was a 3 week stay between the hospital where the surgery was done and then to a rehab hospital.  I couldn’t wait to escape and go home.  This all took place before and during the Christmas holidays.

Best of luck with the spine surgery.  I know what you’re going through concerning the sciatica.  When I needed my lumbar back surgery (L4/L5), the pain going from my lower back down through my left hip and all the way down to my left foot was horrendous.  The loss of functionality (foot drop) in my left foot was worsening by the day.  And like you, I was scheduled for surgery two days later, but it had to be delayed for a few days because I had a mild heart condition that I had been under observation for 15 years.  The anesthesiologist would do the surgery until I received cardiology clearance.  What made matters worse, the cardiologist I had been seeing left my clinic and I had to jump through my a$$ to find another one in a hurry.  Fortunately, my neurosurgeon made arrangements to have a cardiologist complete the nuclear stress test and echocardiogram within two business days which I passed easily. So the actual delay was only 3 business days.  Surgery done, one night in the hospital and then home.  Surgery went well, other than some permanent  damage to my sciatic nerve (due to the herniated disk, not the surgery).  

The cervical spine fusion surgery was much the same.  Chronic problems that just blew up one day and left me with about 80% loss of function in my left arm and about 60% in my right arm.  At times, the only way I could move my left arm was to reach over and move it with my right arm.  Impossible to get comfortable sleeping, sitting, etc.  and just like the lumbar back surgery, this surgery was delayed.  It was already scheduled, but when I was getting the surgical clearances, my cardiologist informed me that despite the fact that my annual echocardiograms for several years had been very stable, my last one indicated my aortic stenosis had gone from moderate to severe.  (Coincidentally 3 month after receiving the first two doses of a certain vaccine).  Anyway, no cardiology clearance for me until I had my aortic valve replaced.  Couldn’t run the risk of having me “vapor lock” on the operating table, don’t you know.  Anyway, the valve surgery was a success and 4 months later I was cleared for the cervical spine fusion surgery, which was also successful.  I am back to playing guitar/bass every day, working out 6 days a week and doing pretty much anything else I want to do with little or no pain.  Life is much better now.  Hopefully you will have a good neurosurgeon and experience the same success I have.  Will definitely have you in my thoughts.

I’m interested to hear about how things work out for you.  While I have not had any serious issues with my thoracic spine yet, I do have a bone spur (the spot on an X-ray originally mistaken for possible lung cancer) and mild scoliosis in that area.  Fortunately, the worst I have experienced with the bone spur so far is occasional muscle spasms in that area.  I have my fingers crossed that I won’t experience anything worse.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tx-ogre said:

Never stayed in one more than one night until my aortic valve replacement surgery.  Then it was a 3 week stay between the hospital where the surgery was done and then to a rehab hospital. 

[thumbup] Well hey, I had an AVR in ‘22 as part of my world tour of the medical system - I was offered cow, pig or something I assume was a plastic - went for cow so I’ll need a replacement should I live 15 years, but if so will just be keyhole and it means no diet limitations, just the thinners etc. What did you choose? 

Edited by 'Scales
fat fingers

15 hours ago, 'Scales said:

[thumbup] Well hey, I had an AVR in ‘22 as part of my world tour of the medical system - I was offered cow, pig or something I assume was a plastic - went for cow so I’ll need a replacement should I live 15 years, but if so will just be keyhole and it means no diet limitations, just the thinners etc. What did you choose? 

I also chose the cow valve and will need replacement in about 15 years.  I assume when you say keyhole for replacement, you are referring to the TAVR procedure through an artery rather than open heart.   Same for me.  No dietary or other restrictions.  I was on a blood thinner (Eliquis) for about three months.  But the heart surgeon installed an atrial clip to my heart which closed off the section of the heart where blood can pool and form clots.  So once the tissue formed around the clip, a blood thinner was no longer necessary.  I do continue to take a low dose 81 mg aspirin every day in lieu of a blood thinner.

Yep the artery thing as you say. I’m on Eliquis as I went into AF a few months after op…so it’s better safe in my case. Glad to hear it’s going well for you - I have not felt better in many years now the heart is only pumping in one direction![laugh]

Excellent news Mesho, thanks for the update. 

Good for you John, your positive attitude is admirable. Keep up the good work, prayers and good vibes sent your way.

Good to hear from you John. Sometimes when everything looks gloomy and no hope, we have to think positive. I still remember when I was in intensive care for 1 week and was in the hospital for over a month with the brain tumor cancer. The nurses and doctors telling me I wasn't going to make it. I was an experiment for other patients and that was over 35 years ago. So hang in there and don't give up is all I can say.  I shouldn't even be here. Rob can tell you that. When I was in intensive care, I was praying for God to take me now or heal me.  He chose the second. I have a Nephew with a very bad back. He has pins and bars all throughout his back. They put in something that he can press anytime he needs and it gives him a shot of pain killers. It's morpheum or whatever but that helps him a lot. Iv'e seen him walk around. They had me on steroids for a long time. Carefull because they sure make one hungry Lol. I gained a ton of weight when I got out. I ordered double meals.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, mesho said:

Message from jgdm:

Hi, jdgm here, op done yesterday evening. Big success! They said it went very well. Will be in touch when home.

That's great news 👍

• Thanks 1