Gibson Brands Forums

Impatient With Page

heymisterk

Let me start this page by saying that I love Page. Jimmy Page and Led Zep as a whole still boggle my mind, and I listen to them ALL the time; the DVDs play and replay; I struggled through learning "The Rain Song" and the "Whole Lotta Love" solo, and listen in amazement as I hear his unbelievable talent unleashed. I even defend "In Through the Out Door".

That said, I wish he'd get off his a$$ and do something productive.

Consider: Since Zep broke up, has done only one solo album, "Outrider", unless you consider his unfortunate soundtrack foray with "Death Wish".

When he's had true collaboration, he's been much more successful. I didn't care for The Firm, but actually liked the Coverdale/Page album and his Page/Plant reunion, "Walking Into Clarksdale". (As much as I liked it, I'm not counting the live stuff he did with the Black Crowes.)

What is holding this guy back from releasing new material? You may not like it, but Plant has been a helluva a lot more productive and creative since Zep broke up, releasing numerous (good!) solo albums, and winning a Grammy for his album with Alison Krauss. (I really enjoyed it; you may not.)

It drives me crazy that Page - whose songwriting, producing, and playing talent are so otherworldly - is only as motivated as showing up for an occasional benefit show, an induction ceremony, or jam session.

I know this post will undoubtedly piss off hard-core fans, but I AM one and I just want to say:

"Hey Jimmy...Are you DONE making new music!?!?"

I truely believe hes run out of juice.

It happens to them all. I have stated in the past that I feel artists are only given so many tricks up their sleeves.

One day they are all gone and the artist becomes stale.

Sure, they can still razzle dazzle the oldies, but the "newer" tunes are very forgetable.

Im a huge Beatles fan and I enjoyed Wings as well. I cant name you one song or hum a single tune from any

of his songs in the past 20 years.

Page is no different. He can still play, but I want to hear Zep, his newer songs just dont hold my attention.

yes Robert is still evolving no doubt. Saw him and Alison Krauss last year and it was fantastic. Someone called out "GOING TO CALIFORNIA!!"

He shouted back "WRONG GIG!" LOL

Anyway he did do a blue grass version of Black Dog and a almost exact reproduction of Battle Of Evermore.

I am grateful to have what there is of Jimmy. If he gave up music and turned his back on it all we still have all those amazing albums!

I agree maybe creatively/song writing wise he has peaked..but he still plays a mean guitar!

Matt

poor jimmy, as deep blue said, is really is burnt out, other then the foo fighters, jeff beck, and the black crowes, there isnt much left for him to do, he has done everything that there is to be done..............

he has recorded everything, smoked everything, ****ed everyone, performed everything, and influenced millions of players, if he wants to relax and take it easy, go for it jimmy

if you want to see good zep footage, just find the nobs on youtube

yes Robert is still evolving no doubt. Saw him and Alison Krauss last year and it was fantastic. Someone called out "GOING TO CALIFORNIA!!"

He shouted back "WRONG GIG!" LOL

Anyway he did do a blue grass version of Black Dog and a almost exact reproduction of Battle Of Evermore.

I am grateful to have what there is of Jimmy. If he gave up music and turned his back on it all we still have all those amazing albums!

I agree maybe creatively/song writing wise he has peaked..but he still plays a mean guitar!

Matt

I saw them at the Greek Theater in LA, it was a fantastic concert. Battle of Evermore was the finest I'd ever heard, and T-Bone Burnett was a really entertaining guy. I'd seen Robert Plant when he was touring behind Manic Nirvana (His Best solo backing band in their prime), and I can't say one show was better than the other.

Back to the topic, I think Page should make an album with Jaun Paul Jones. I really think Pages stuff is best when arranged by someone else (or with someone else). Page write great riffs, but I think his arrangements are kind of linear (for lack of a better description).

And I don't think he's burt out, he's just happy and spending his money. He could get out and tour with Led Zeppelin right now, but since that doesn't look like it's gonna happen, he's gonna sit.

I truely believe hes run out of juice.

It happens to them all. I have stated in the past that I feel artists are only given so many tricks up their sleeves.

One day they are all gone and the artist becomes stale.

Sure' date=' they can still razzle dazzle the oldies, but the "newer" tunes are very forgetable.

Im a huge Beatles fan and I enjoyed Wings as well. I cant name you one song or hum a single tune from any

of his songs in the past 20 years.

Page is no different. He can still play, but I want to hear Zep, his newer songs just dont hold my attention.[/quote']

Honestly, McCartney has put out some great stuff. Definitely check out Flowers in the Dirt and Chaos and Creation.

And at least he's still trying. Some people (Rocky4, best avantar on the Forum) get bent out of shape when people criticize Page, and I get it. And the guy is 65. But still, I wished he'd maybe gather up some buddies and make a low-key album.

Honestly' date=' McCartney has put out some great stuff. Definitely check out Flowers in the Dirt and Chaos and Creation.

And at least he's still trying. Some people (Rocky4, best avantar on the Forum) get bent out of shape when people criticize Page, and I get it. And the guy is 65. But still, I wished he'd maybe gather up some buddies and make a low-key album. [/quote']

Some great stuff on Flaming Pie and Run Devil Run as well.

I get impatient with his playing. I love his playing when it's good, but sometimes I think he stopped practicing somewhere around 1972 :D

Edit: Another thought: Ever notice that he's never part of Eric Claptons big Crossroads shows when just about every other guitarist under the sun is :-k

Who ****ing cares if he isn't making music anymore???? Zeppelin started in the late 60's! He's 65 ffs!

Just be thankful for the music he did produce!

+1

watching the Stones these days is painful. I remember Grace Slick saying nobody over 40 has any business on a rock and roll stage.

Another fantastic example of rockers who should just give it up is KISS' date=' yes they were a icon but to date they have had at least 15 farewell tours and now they aren't even KISS but Gene and Paul and two others dressing up like ACE and Peter.

I want to remember my old fav bands as they were, on the top of their game not playing a freaking state fair.[/quote']

+1000000000000000000

YES !!!....I was so disgusted to see two other guys dressing up like Ace and Peter...It's not KISS anymore....KISS died for me on the last show Ace played with them.

+1

watching the Stones these days in painful. I remember Grace Slick saying nobody over 40 has any business on a rock and roll stage.

Hmmmm' date=' when did she say [i']that[/i], when she was 22?!! She stayed in it, at least that long. To generalize, that anyone over 40, doesn't belong on a "Rock & Roll Stage," is (maybe) a bit narrow minded...IMHO. And, as long as they're doing good work, and/or giving their fans, what they want, still...why not?! It's pretty hard, sometimes, for people to give up, what they love to do...even if it may seem "a bit much," to others, after awhile? Frankly, I think if you love

what you do...DO IT, for as long as you can! Who the f... cares, what other people think?!

As to the "Stones," it's amazing, that Jagger can put on the show he does, at his age! So I applaud

that, alone! "Satisfaction" at 65 (or whatever)...a little satisfaction, at any age, is a good thing! LOL!

CB

Hmmmm' date=' when did she say [i']that[/i], when she was 22?!! She stayed in it, at least that long. To generalize, that anyone over 40, doesn't belong on a "Rock & Roll Stage," is (maybe) a bit narrow minded...IMHO. And, as long as they're doing good work, and/or giving their fans, what they want, still...why not?! It's pretty hard, sometimes, for people to give up, what they love to do...even if it may seem "a bit much," to others, after awhile? Frankly, I think if you love

what you do...DO IT, for as long as you can! Who the f... cares, what other people think?!

As to the "Stones," it's amazing, that Jagger can put on the show he does, at his age! So I applaud

that, alone! "Satisfaction" at 65 (or whatever)...a little satisfaction, at any age, is a good thing! LOL!

CB

Agree. The Stones are the Supreme Court Justices of rock and roll.

I want to remember my old fav bands as they were' date=' on the top of their game not playing a freaking state fair.[/quote']

AMEN!!! I love Zep, but if they're not at the top of their game, I don't wanna see 'em. And I think from what I've seen of Robert Plant recently, they are not gonna be at the top of their game!

Creativity???? He's taken a bunch of old Zep songs and re-worked them or tried to work them into his new songs. That's not to say I don't like his solo stuff--it's to say I like his solo stuff because it sounds like the stuff he did with Zep. His album with Allison Krauss was CRAP! And I like Allison Krauss, bluegrass, and Robert Plant!!!!! It was none of those. T-Bone took the two greatest singers ever and asked them to not show any of their abilities.

I remember Grace Slick saying nobody over 40 has any business on a rock and roll stage.
when did she say that' date=' when she was 22?!! [/quote']

She actually said it on VH1's "Behind the Music" when she was waaaay past 40! And she was probably right.....

As much as I love the old rockers, some of them need to understand that they no longer ROCK!

It took 7 years after Led Zep split for either Page or Plant to even acknowledge their greatest days publicly.

Outrider by Page had Plant on it, Plant's Now & Zen had sampled led Zep parts and Page playing guitar.

This was in the eighties, both were trying to distance themselves from the huge shadow cast by their Led Zep days.

There was the fear that nothing new would measure up to the Good Stuff, so they simply let the legend grow.

Page is notorious for avoiding media, he has been married forever and settled into the lifestyle of affluent slacking.

I don't blame him a bit, I'm sure I would do the exact same thing.

Pop up here and there, relive the legend for a few minutes, then go home and deposit my check.

Nobody is a bigger Zep fan than I am, and I've dreamed for years of getting my hands on new material by them.

The Black Crowes stuff was incredible, the ONLY place you can hear Led Zep with the full compliment of 3 guitars doing those songs in their complete glory. Chris Robinson & Audley Freed backing Page - just f-ing wow!

Then I think of the Stones...

What have they done in the last 25 years?

Sure, they sold lotsa albums and tickets, but what have they done for music?

Not much.

And they are NOT on top of their game.

I would HATE to see Led Zep put out ten more albums of crap just for the money.

Archived