Gibson Brands Forums

New Guitar Day

I went to a local shop looking to buy a Les Paul Classic, they had a Cherry Sunburst one in stock and I would have bought that but it had been damaged with two chips down to the timber.  The shop tried to order a new one for me but Gibson Europe had none due to the Classic going out of production, so I had to do something that I've never done before, buy a guitar online without playing it! 

I really wanted a Honeyburst but I would have bought the Cherry one if it hadn't been damaged.  The shop tried to order me a new one from Gibson Europe but they couldn't supply one due to the Classic's being no longer in production.  From the checklist my guitar was finished in 2022 so Gear4Music must have had it in their warehouse for a while

The guitar arrived and it was flawless, I can't understand why so many people have problems with Gibson's quality control, either I'm extremely lucky or some people are very unlucky, the only issue I've found is the corners of the nut need a brush with a needle file.  The guitar arrived perfectly set up but I like the action a little higher than most people.  The guitar is a bit of a porker though, it weighs over 10 lbs, which is heavy considering that the Classic is weight relieved (my 2008 Classic Antique is just over 7lbs).

fUFzLrE.jpg

w7nkbaq.jpg

js4HOoV.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Very nice looking guitar - hope it provides much pleasure [thumbup]

that’s a big 40% weight difference for essentially the same guitar, maybe you could lobby for shorter sets![laugh]

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Nice score Ian!

10lbs is on the hefty end for sure.

If you can get a wide padded strap and you'll be ok for standing.  One of my standards is almost 11lbs.  that wide padded strap was a game changer for me.

I think mine is just a off the rack Levy strap.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Holy COW, that's nice!

I went into a local music shop yesterday to get a couple of chords repaired....they had a Gold Top sitting out..... I told the guy about how I had the opportunity to by a Gold Top for $13 back in 1965/66.... then realized I was talking about a time LONG before this guy was even born!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Very nice.  My 2003 LP Classic is the heaviest guitar (10 lbs, 4 oz.) I own, even heavier than my 6 string Ibanez bass.  Great guitars though.  Congrats.

Edited by tx-ogre
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, tx-ogre said:

Very nice.  My 2003 LP Classic is the heaviest guitar (10 lbs, 4 oz.) I own, even heavier than my 6 string Ibanez bass.  Great guitars though.  Congrats.

Same here.. Mines from 2002 and is just under 11lbs..  Its what led to me getting my DC Special (as I was sick of the weight even sitting) which then opened the GAS flood gates.  

When I need reliable hard rock tone, its the guitar I ALWAYS pick up first.

Edited by Rabs
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Same here.. Mines from 2002 and is just under 11lbs..  Its what led to me getting my DC Special (as I was sick of the weight even sitting) which then opened the GAS flood gates.  

When I need reliable hard rock tone, its the guitar I ALWAYS pick up first.

I assume you are referring to the LP Classic for hard rock tone?  I bought mine because it has the 496R/500T pickups specifically for hard rock.  It certainly fills the bill.  Fortunately I have a LP Faded Special,  two SGs and a couple of other guitars that are much lighter.  Before I had my cervical spine fusion surgery, my LP Classic spent a lot of time in its case.

• Thanks 1

Just now, tx-ogre said:

I assume you are referring to the LP Classic for hard rock tone?  I bought mine because it has the 496R/500T pickups specifically for hard rock.  It certainly fills the bill.  Fortunately I have a LP Faded Special,  two SGs and a couple of other guitars that are much lighter.  Before I had my cervical spine fusion surgery, my LP Classic spent a lot of time in its case.

Yes exactly.. The ceramic twins.. Love that sound...

1 minute ago, Rabs said:

Yes exactly.. The ceramic twins.. Love that sound...

Yep.  Great tone with a little extra tweaking.  Much different than my other Gibsons with the 490R/498T, ‘57 Classics and P90s or my Ltds with EMGs.  Some people don’t like them, but I have never considered replacing them.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, tx-ogre said:

Yep.  Great tone with a little extra tweaking.  Much different than my other Gibsons with the 490R/498T, ‘57 Classics and P90s or my Ltds with EMGs.  Some people don’t like them, but I have never considered replacing them.

Yeah its funny. Non players just dont understand. I have three LPs on stands in my living room. Sometimes people do ask, why do you have three of the same guitar. I try to explain the differences but they still dont get it 🙂  So I have my 2002 Classic, 60s Tribute with P90s and  a 2010 Standard which is chambered and has burstbuckers.  Three TOTALLY different guitars. Also the classic is a burst, the tribute is a goldtop and the standard is a trans wine red flame top..  Lol.. Its only the shape that is the same.

Never even considered changing the pickups in my guitars.. The sound is usually the main reason I want them (apart from the wine red flame top, just had to have that one but love the sound too).

Its also funny to know that out heavy LPs are mostly weight relieved too.. Ha!

Edited by Rabs

30 minutes ago, tx-ogre said:

Wow.. Oddly enough they have just re-released these pickups

496R/500T Set (Double Black, 4-Conductor, Potted, Ceramic, 496R: 8.4K, 500T: 15.2K), | Gibson

2 hours ago, Rabs said:

Yeah its funny. Non players just dont understand. I have three LPs on stands in my living room. Sometimes people do ask, why do you have three of the same guitar. I try to explain the differences but they still dont get it 🙂  So I have my 2002 Classic, 60s Tribute with P90s and  a 2010 Standard which is chambered and has burstbuckers.  Three TOTALLY different guitars. Also the classic is a burst, the tribute is a goldtop and the standard is a trans wine red flame top..  Lol.. Its only the shape that is the same.

Never even considered changing the pickups in my guitars.. The sound is usually the main reason I want them (apart from the wine red flame top, just had to have that one but love the sound too).

Its also funny to know that out heavy LPs are mostly weight relieved too.. Ha!

Rabs,

Since the different pick-ups result in the same guitar carcass producing different sounds, it surprises me that guitars with easily changeable clip-in sets of pick-ups haven't yet been produced.

RBSinTo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Rabs,

Since the different pick-ups result in the same guitar carcass producing different sounds, it surprises me that guitars with easily changeable clip-in sets of pick-ups haven't yet been produced.

RBSinTo

They have.. And other things too like rotating pickups...  The thing is these things never seem to be that popular even though you would thing it would.. But I think the truth is we like having different guitars for different sounds and moods. 

Or how about the Fenders with personality cards

Whenever stuff like this is tried (2015) it never seems to go down that well.  Also remember Gibson do quick connect pickups that are easy to swap out.

Edited by Rabs

Congrats on the solid find! I bet she sounds great.

Regarding weight, I have found myself, (possibly subconsciously), buying lighter guitars the older I get. My first was an ""83 Gibson Korina CSE Explorer, and my most recent purchase was a Squire Strat. The Explorer feels like an anchor, and the Strat feels like a helium balloon, (comparatively).

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rabs said:

Wow.. Oddly enough they have just re-released these pickups

496R/500T Set (Double Black, 4-Conductor, Potted, Ceramic, 496R: 8.4K, 500T: 15.2K), | Gibson

Yeah, these used to be a stock pickups in Explorers and Flying Vs for many years.  Then it looks like Gibson put them in the penalty box for several years and didn’t them in any of their production model.  Looks like they might be making a comeback.