Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone fancy an Expensive Stratocaster

Ian,

No.

Not me.

Even inexpensive Stratocasters don't interest me in the slightest.

My interest in electric guitars is limited to jazzboxes and the ES-style ones, and I already have one of each, so I'm good, and will leave this one for you.

But thanks for asking.

RBSinTo

I have a USA Fender 40th Anniv. Strat that I’ve owned since new. 1993. It is a fantastic Guitar. I like it as much as any of my Gibson’s, Gretsch's & Ric’s.

There are so many different Guitars that make so many beautiful Sounds. I’m to have the opportunity to play many different Guitars & enjoy the palettes of sounds they make.

I saw Rory and that Strat in the cozy Lowell (MA) Memorial Auditorium, center stage 5th row in the fall of 1976. He was phenomenal and I'll always remember it as one of the best concerts I ever attended. Just a guy in a flannel shirt and jeans fronting a trio and making amazing music. Over 30 years later we went out to the Clapton Crossroads Festival in Chicago. While there we went to a few guitar shops. There was one (I don't recall the name) that was totally nondescript, had to walk through a luthier shop to get to the showroom and it was filled with high end guitars and amps. After a few minutes of walking around I heard some cool sounds coming out of an amp. It was my son, who was 18 at the time, playing a Custom Shop Rory Gallagher Strat. I tried it and it was nice but at $5K and being a relic, I had no interest in it.

The real one is very cool. I never thought the family would part with it. But then again, getting a million bucks when you're getting on is a pretty good windfall.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

I have a USA Fender 40th Anniv. Strat that I’ve owned since new. 1993. It is a fantastic Guitar. I like it as much as any of my Gibson’s, Gretsch's & Ric’s.

There are so many different Guitars that make so many beautiful Sounds. I’m to have the opportunity to play many different Guitars & enjoy the palettes of sounds they make.

Larsongs,

Since I don't have a burning desire or need to own any more than the six guitars I already have, I satisfy my curiosity by noodling on a ton of different guitar brands and models when I visit the high-end music stores here in Toronto, and never need to spend any more than a couple of pennies for gas and parking. 

RBSinTo

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IanHenry said:

I never thought Donal would sell that guitar, either. Some of Rory's other guitars? Sure. But not that legendary '61 Strat. 

I've actually played that guitar briefly when they had it over at the Fender Custom Shop to measure everything for the Fender Custom Shop reissues of it. It has a really comfortable neck on it. I have a picture of me with it somewhere that's previously been posted online. 

6 hours ago, Phil OKeefe said:

I never thought Donal would sell that guitar, either. Some of Rory's other guitars? Sure. But not that legendary '61 Strat. 

I've actually played that guitar briefly when they had it over at the Fender Custom Shop to measure everything for the Fender Custom Shop reissues of it. It has a really comfortable neck on it. I have a picture of me with it somewhere that's previously been posted online. 

There were people in the Customme Shoppe when you were there?  When I was there: crickets.  I was really looking forward to seeing them.  Nobody.  A room full of empty people, random Tuesday, at about 11 o'clock PST and then again around 1.30 PST.  Nope.

Buncha stiffs.

rct

If I sold our house and cashed in all my retirement/savings accounts, I could maybe pull it off.  And I probably wouldn’t look out of place while I was playing it in my new “home” under a freeway overpass.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, rct said:

There were people in the Customme Shoppe when you were there?  When I was there: crickets.  I was really looking forward to seeing them.  Nobody.  A room full of empty people, random Tuesday, at about 11 o'clock PST and then again around 1.30 PST.  Nope.

Buncha stiffs.

rct

I have some friends who work/worked there, including a few of the Master Builders, so yes, there were people there. 

When you visited, they may have been at lunch, or possibly, doing things in other parts of the factory. 

1 hour ago, Phil OKeefe said:

I have some friends who work/worked there, including a few of the Master Builders, so yes, there were people there. 

When you visited, they may have been at lunch, or possibly, doing things in other parts of the factory. 

Oh sure, they were out and about, gettin wood off the dock, some other stuff was at the other end, so they were busy.  It would have been fun to enter the inner sanctum.  Place is crazy and I loved it.

rct

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rct said:

Oh sure, they were out and about, gettin wood off the dock, some other stuff was at the other end, so they were busy.  It would have been fun to enter the inner sanctum.  Place is crazy and I loved it.

rct

It’s like being invited to Batman’s Bat Cave. Few lucky enough get to enter.

On 7/10/2024 at 8:31 AM, RBSinTo said:

Larsongs,

Since I don't have a burning desire or need to own any more than the six guitars I already have, I satisfy my curiosity by noodling on a ton of different guitar brands and models when I visit the high-end music stores here in Toronto, and never need to spend any more than a couple of pennies for gas and parking. 

RBSinTo

That’s cool.

I just bought 2 so easy back both are mine. One is immediately going on Reverb for 2 x the price. Oh wait Joe “I have more guitars than God” Bonamassa bought it. I hate him. Joe take off your stupid sunglasses when playing live. You look like a tool.

3 hours ago, SteveFord said:

For the Fedner owners, is their paint so cheap that it just wears away to nothing?

Whenever you see an old one it looks like somebody wore a sandpaper suit for a week.

No. I have a 31 year old Fender USA 50th Anniv Strat & the Nitro Finish looks like brand new. I have Fender USA AV65 Jaguar & Jazzmaster from about 2010 & their Nitro finishes look like new except for a couple Scratches. I also have a 10 year old Fender USA ‘69 Thinline Tele the Nitro finish looks like new except for a couple knicks & scratches.

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SteveFord said:

For the Fedner owners, is their paint so cheap that it just wears away to nothing?

Whenever you see an old one it looks like somebody wore a sandpaper suit for a week.

Rory sweat toxic Strat stripper from his pours.

14 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I just bought 2 so easy back both are mine. One is immediately going on Reverb for 2 x the price. Oh wait Joe “I have more guitars than God” Bonamassa bought it. I hate him. Joe take off your stupid sunglasses when playing live. You look like a tool.

He has light sensitivity much like John Kay.