Gibson Brands Forums

My band's gig fell through because of......dolphins :-)

saturn

Clickbait title [smile]

But seriously. Our band was contacted about playing some corporate party  in September to be held at The National Aquarium in Baltimore. This promised to be an interesting, well paying gig. We were looking forward to it, and in the process of working out the logistics. But we were then told that we won't be able do it. The Aquarium doesn't allow bands because it will disturb the dolphins. #-o 

Anyone else have unique or interesting reasons for a gig  being canceled or falling though?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, saturn said:

Clickbait title [smile]

But seriously. Our band was contacted about playing some corporate party  in September to be held at The National Aquarium in Baltimore. This promised to be an interesting, well paying gig. We were looking forward to it, and in the process of working out the logistics. But we were then told that we won't be able do it. The Aquarium doesn't allow bands because it will disturb the dolphins. #-o 

Anyone else have unique or interesting reasons for a gig  being canceled or falling though?

I had an outside gig cut short due to snow 6 years back.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Karloff said:

The Larry Csonka era Dolphins maybe lol

When Csonka was on the team, that was the last time they won the SB. That pic is modern era Fins. I’m married to Fins fan, so I know stuff like this. With their new logo, I’m not sure if I’m watching a football game or I should be at Sea World. That pic is from a throwback night or before they changed uniforms.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

We had a gig fall through because the guest of honor went into the hospital. I gave them their deposit back. He didn't do it on purpose, and probably needed the money more than us.

When he got out, they threw a get well party, hired us, and paid us extra, the amount of the deposit we returned.

-------

We had a dozen gigs cancelled when Hurricane Jeanne and Frances came through here and destroyed a lot of condominum clubhouses.

------

COVID lockdown cost us an entire years' work.

Notes ♫

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Notes_Norton said:

We had a gig fall through because the guest of honor went into the hospital. I gave them their deposit back. He didn't do it on purpose, and probably needed the money more than us.

When he got out, they threw a get well party, hired us, and paid us extra, the amount of the deposit we returned.

-------

We had a dozen gigs cancelled when Hurricane Jeanne and Frances came through here and destroyed a lot of condominum clubhouses.

------

Notes ♫

How dare life get in the way of life.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Karloff said:

The Larry Csonka era Dolphins maybe lol

Yeah, I was a huge Csonka fan back in the day. 

I had the number 39 on my MX motorcycle when I was racing on the dirt tracks in the early-mid 1970's.
And over many years in the Army, whenever I got the chance to choose my own Callsign, I went with 39. 

My Callsign for the last 15 years of my flying for the test center here was EVAL 39. 

🙂

book-336x505.jpeg

Edited by sparquelito
  • Like 2

This may not count Saturn but I had a gig cancelled after the first song in Camden, AR ~1977. We started to play and the bar owner came up to us, made us stop playing and kicked us out because we weren't a country band. I'm not kidding. And our name was Roxx. Also not kidding the other guitar player ran out of gas and I had to siphon gas using my talk box tube from my corolla into to his AMC Pacer. My talk box tube never recovered.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

-------

------

Notes ♫

The sad face is sincere. That was some rough runs, but how nice of the family to rebook the gig.  

5 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I had the number 39 on my MX motorcycle when I was racing on the dirt tracks in the early-mid 1970's.
And over many years in the Army, whenever I got the chance to choose my own Callsign, I went with 39. 

My Callsign for the last 15 years of my flying for the test center here was EVAL 39. 

🙂

book-336x505.jpeg

His helmet was cooler than anyone else’s. His son was in the Coast Guard. I used to see his name on advancement messages. We were always around the same  pay grade around the same time.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, sparquelito said:

🙂

book-336x505.jpeg

He was a beast ...

18 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I would have chosen 69. But, hey that's me.

Edited by gearbasher
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2024 at 7:09 PM, saturn said:

Clickbait title [smile]

During COVID I was prevented from playing at a Policeman's charity event by the county health department, (even though the gig was outside)...... didn't know I was cancelled until I showed up with my amps & PA.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

During COVID I was prevented from playing at a Policeman's charity event by the county health department, (even though the gig was outside)...... didn't know I was cancelled until I showed up with my amps & PA.

Remember when 24/7 it was shoved down our throat. Now you barely hear about it. Of course some new diseases no one has any immunity too is gonna make people sick. I still see some wearing masks but lots of times it only covers their mouth. You just don’t get it do you. Just take it off. Its doing the same thing if not worn correctly. If you don’t know how to put a condom on properly, its basically just a balloon at that point.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

I have the opposite situation going on right now (opposite of the OP's query). 

We had a huge gig that I was told had been cancelled (set to take place a little over a month from now), and I got the call yesterday that it's game on, and we are going to play it. 

It's an annual event, a big outdoor sports festival with around 900 people attending. 
Cookouts, barbeque, live music, and of course, a softball tournament, 3 on 3 basketball finals, a 10 k run, horseshoes competition, bean bag toss, food trucks, and a whole lot of fun. 

The organizers had hinted to me over the past few weeks that it wasn't going to happen, and, suprisingly, now it's on. 

I have a lot of work to do, setting up rehearsals, and getting my logistics down tight. 
There will be my crew along with some close friends with their band, alternating sets, and we don't get to set up the afternoon prior. 
Playing sets from 9:00 am until 1:30 pm solid, and we will have to load in, set up, and sound check very, very early in the morning!

Good times. 
🫤

SOFTBALL20GENERIC_1525718393335.jpg_4195

• Like 2

17 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I have the opposite situation going on right now (opposite of the OP's query). 

We had a huge gig that I was told had been cancelled (set to take place a little over a month from now), and I got the call yesterday that it's game on, and we are going to play it. 

It's an annual event, a big outdoor sports festival with around 900 people attending. 
Cookouts, barbeque, live music, and of course, a softball tournament, 3 on 3 basketball finals, a 10 k run, horseshoes competition, bean bag toss, food trucks, and a whole lot of fun. 

The organizers had hinted to me over the past few weeks that it wasn't going to happen, and, suprisingly, now it's on. 

I have a lot of work to do, setting up rehearsals, and getting my logistics down tight. 
There will be my crew along with some close friends with their band, alternating sets, and we don't get to set up the afternoon prior. 
Playing sets from 9:00 am until 1:30 pm solid, and we will have to load in, set up, and sound check very, very early in the morning!

Good times. 
🫤

SOFTBALL20GENERIC_1525718393335.jpg_4195

Sounds like rock and roll is a young man’s game. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 2