Humidity: 88%

Visibility: 7 miles

Precip in last hr: NA

Precip last 24 hrs: NA

Wind: 10 mph SSW

Sunrise: 6:17 AM

Sunset: 8:00 PM

UV Index: 7 High

Observed at Oak Island, Brunswick County Airport.

All times shown are local to Southport.

Today T-storms

Hi: 78°

Lo: 73°

T-storms

6 PM T-storms 76°

T-storms

9 PM Scattered Thunderstorms 75°

Scattered Thunderstorms

Midnight Scattered Thunderstorms 74°

Scattered Thunderstorms

Been rainin' cats an dogs here since Easter. 2 days of rain, 3 days of sun. Then it repeats itself. Just about the time the fields get fit to go, it rains again.

For reference, every day a farmer doesn't get his corn planted by May1, it costs him 1 bushel per acre per day until it's planted. We're currently at 7 bushels / acre lost. Times 1000 acres x $3.00/bushel, that's $3000 shot to h*** before he even gets his first cup of coffee, then another 3 grand tomorrow. If it doesn't rain again it might be dry enough to plant by Tuesday, sooner if we get a good wind.... but there is rain forcast for next week. =P~

Usually, the farmers in this area are 90% planted by now. I've seen one field planted since April. Only a couple have been tilled up to now.

Here in Tulsa we had 11 straight days of rain ending this morning. The fog was so thick this morning one could not see 25 feet in front of them. On my way to work I came upon a fatal car wreck where someone had run head-on into the back of a school bus they could not see in time and the driver was killed. I went 4 miles out of my way so I wouldn't have to make a left turn since, even at 20 miles per hour, a car coming the other way could not see me in time to stop.

Rain (The Beatles song)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

U.S. single sleeve

Single by The Beatles

Released 30 May 1966 (U.S.)

10 June 1966 (UK)

Recorded Abbey Road Studios

14 April 1966

Genre Psychedelic rock

Length 2:59

Label Parlophone R5452 (UK)

Capitol 5651 (U.S.)

Writer(s) Lennon/McCartney

Producer George Martin

"Rain" is a song by the British rock band The Beatles, credited to Lennon/McCartney. It was first released in June 1966 as the B-side of the "Paperback Writer" single.[1] Both songs were recorded during the sessions for Revolver but neither appears on that album.

Written primarily by John Lennon, "Rain" has been called The Beatles' finest B-side, especially notable for its heavy sonic presence and backwards vocals, both of which were a hint of things to come on Revolver, released two months later.[2][3][4]

Three promotional films were made for the song "Rain", starring the Beatles.[5] These videos, along with other Beatles videos at the time, sparked George Harrison to say during the Beatles Anthology, "So I suppose, in a way, we invented MTV."[6]

Contents [hide]

1 Recording

2 Credits

3 Musical structure

4 Release

5 Videos

6 Reception

7 Notes

8 References

[edit] Recording

The inspiration for "Rain" is agreed on by Neil Aspinall, the Beatles' roadie, and John Lennon. They both described the band's arrival in Australia, marked by rain and poor weather.[7] Lennon said, "I've never seen rain as hard as that, except in Tahiti", and later explained that "Rain" was "about people moaning about the weather all the time".[8]

Recording began on 14 April 1966, in the same session as "Paperback Writer", and concluded on 16 April, with a series of overdubs before mixing on the same day.[3][9] At that time, The Beatles were enthused about experimenting in the studio to achieve new sounds and effects.[10] These experiments were showcased in their influential seventh album, Revolver. Geoff Emerick, who was the engineer for both sessions, described one technique he used to alter the sonic texture of the track by recording the backing track "faster than normal." After playing the tape normally, "the music had a radically different tonal quality.[11] A similar technique was used to alter the tone of Lennon's lead vocal. It was recorded with the tape machine being slowed down, so making Lennon's voice sound higher when played back at normal speed.[12] The last verse of "Rain" includes backwards vocals, which was one of the first uses of this technique on a record.[6][13] The backwards vocals are Lennon singing the first lyrics of the song: "When the rain comes, they run and hide their heads."[14] Both Lennon and producer George Martin have claimed credit for the idea; Lennon said:

“ After we'd done the session on that particular song—it ended at about four or five in the morning—I went home with a tape to see what else you could do with it. And I was sort of very tired, you know, not knowing what I was doing, and I just happened to put it on my own tape recorder and it came out backwards. And I liked it better. So that's how it happened.[15] ”

Emerick confirms Lennon's creative accident, but Martin remembers it differently:

“ I was always playing around with tapes and I thought it might be fun to do something extra with John's voice. So I lifted a bit of his main vocal off the four-track, put it on another spool, turned it around and then slid it back and forth until it fitted. John was out at the time but when he came back he was amazed.[3][11] ”

The "Paperback Writer"/"Rain" single was the first release to use a new device invented by the maintenance department at Abbey Road called "ATOC" for "Automatic Transient Overload Control". The new device allowed the record to be cut at a louder volume, louder than any other single up to that time.[16] On the final mix of the single, Lennon was on lead vocal and rhythm guitar (1964 Gretsch 6120 "Nashville"). Paul McCartney was on backing vocal as well as bass guitar (1964 Rickenbacker 4001S). George Harrison was on backing vocal and lead guitar (1962 Gibson Les Paul (SG) Standard). Finally, Ringo Starr played drums (Ludwig) and tambourine.[4][9]

[edit] Credits

John Lennon: double tracked lead vocal and rhythm guitar.

Paul McCartney: bass and backing vocal.

George Harrison: lead guitar and backing vocal.

Ringo Starr: drums and tambourine.

[edit] Musical structure

While technologically elaborate, "Rain" has a simple musical structure. Set in the key of G major, it begins with what Alan W. Pollack calls, "a ra-ta-tat half-measure's fanfare of solo snare drums", followed by a guitar intro of the first chord. The verses are nine measures long, and the song is in 4/4 time. Each verse is based on the G, C, and D chords (I, IV, and V). The refrain contains only I and IV chords, and is twelve measures long (the repetition of a six-measure pattern). The first two measures are the G chord. The third and fourth measures are the C chord, with the third measure in 6/4 time instead of the regular 4/4 time. The fifth and sixth measures return to the G chord. The refrain, though seemingly slower than the verse, is at the same tempo. Pollack says this illusion is achieved by "the change of beat for the first four measures from its erstwhile bounce to something more plodding and regular". After four verses and two refrains, a short solo for guitar and drums is played, with complete silence for one beat. What is heard next is what Pollack calls "historically significant" reverse lyrics.[17]

[edit] Release

It was released as a B-side to "Paperback Writer" in the United States (Capitol 5651) on 30 May 1966, and in the UK on 10 June 1966 (Parlophone R5452). It later appeared on the compilations Hey Jude in the U.S. and Rarities in the UK. It also appeared on the Past Masters Volume Two CD (Parlophone CDP 7 90044 2).[9]

[edit] Videos

The Beatles created three promotional films for "Rain"[5] which are considered among the early precursors of music videos.[18] The films were directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg—who had worked with them before on the pop 1960 television program Ready Steady Go![19] One features The Beatles walking and singing in a garden and a greenhouse (filmed May 20, 1966 filmed at Chiswick House in London).[5][20] The other two feature the band performing on a soundstage (filmed May 19, 1966, one, in color, for Ed Sullivan, and the other in black and white for the UK).[5][21] McCartney was injured in a moped accident on 26 December 1965, and closeups in the film reveal a scarred lip and a chipped tooth.[19][21] McCartney's appearance in the film played a role in the "Paul is dead" rumors from 1969. [22]

The Beatles' Anthology documentary video includes a re-edit of two of these three clips, full of rhythmic fast cuts and several shots that went unused in the original videos.[23] This creates an inaccurate impression that the true videos were somewhat more technically complex, fast-paced, and innovative than was actually the case. For example, the backwards film effects shown here are 1990's creations. Such effects were actually first deployed in the "Strawberry Fields Forever" video of January 1967.[24]

[edit] Reception

The song's highest chart position in the U.S. was #23 (11 June 1966). The "Paperback Writer" single reached #1 in the UK (for two weeks starting on 23 June 1966).[9] "Rain" is one of the Beatles's most critically-acclaimed songs, appearing on a number of best-of lists, including Rolling Stone magazine's The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (#463).[25] AcclaimedMusic.net, a site which combines hundreds of such lists from around the world, ranks "Rain" at #557 on the Top 3000 Songs, the 22nd highest-rated Beatle song on the site.[26][27]

Notable in "Rain" is Ringo Starr's drumming, which Starr himself rates as his best performance.[28] Critics agreed; both Ian MacDonald and Rolling Stone said his drumming was "superb," and Richie Unterberger of Allmusic praised his "creative drum breaks."[13][29][30]

"Rain" has been covered numerous times since its release as a single, including by Ibex, Humble Pie, Shonen Knife, *The Punkles and The Allman Brothers. The Grateful Dead performed the song numerous times throughout the 1990s; often as an encore. Australian band The Church played the song at MTV Unplugged, with Marty Willson-Piper sharing vocals with Jules Shear. British band Kula Shaker covered the song live at Reading Festival in 1996. Pearl Jam covered the song during their 1992 Pinkpop Festival show. U2 and Todd Rundgren have also covered the song.[9] Noel Gallagher of the British band Oasis has based his whole songwriting career on this song.

[edit] Notes

^ Hamel, Stephen. "Steve's Beatles Page: Rain". http://www.stevesbeatles.com/songs/rain.asp. Retrieved on 2008-03-03.

^ Sheff (2000), p. 197.

^ a b c Lewisohn (1988), p. 74.

^ a b MacDonald (2005), p. 196.

^ a b c d Neaverson, Bob. "Beatles Videography". http://www.beatlesmovies.co.uk/beatles-videography.asp. Retrieved on 2009-04-26.

^ a b The Beatles Anthology DVD 2003 (Episode 5 “Rain” - 0:53:19) Harrison talking about inventing MTV.

^ Beatles (2000), p. 140.

^ Lennon, McCartney, Harrison, Ringo (2000), p. 212.

^ a b c d e Fontenot, Robert. "The history of this classic Beatles song". The New York Times Company. http://oldies.about.com/od/thebeatlessongs/a/rain.htm. Retrieved on 2008-03-05.

^ Lewisohn (1988), p. 70.

^ a b Emerick (2006), p. 117.

^ Lewisohn (1988), p. 83.

^ a b Unterberger, Richie. "Song Review of Rain". Allmusic. http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=&sql=33:wjfuxqwrldfe. Retrieved on 2007-12-22.

^ "Rain by the Beatles". http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=100. Retrieved on 2008-03-01.

^ "Rain". The Beatles Interview Database. http://www.geocities.com/~beatleboy1/dba07revol.html. Retrieved on 2007-12-22.

^ Emerick (2006), p. 117.

^ Pollack, Alan W.. "Alan W. Pollack's Notes on "Paperback Writer" and "Rain"". http://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/DATABASES/AWP/pw_and_r.shtml#q2. Retrieved on 2008-03-01.

^ "The Beatles and the Birth of the Music Video". BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A3404611. Retrieved on 2008-03-01.

^ a b Miles (1998).

^ "The Beatles Rain Video". http://www.ready-steady-go.org.uk/beatles_tv.htm. Retrieved on 2008-02-27.

^ a b The Beatles. (2003). The Beatles Anthology, DVD #3, "Rain" [DVD]. Apple Corps Limited.

^ "Paul is Dead??". Rec.Music.Beatles. http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:hJ2WpDnRaksJ:www.recmusicbeatles.com/public/files/faqs/pid.html+Rain+Paul+is+Dead&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us&client=firefox-a. Retrieved on 2008-03-01.

^ Unterberger (2006), p. 320.

^ Unterberger (2006), p. 322.

^ "The RS 500 Greatest Songs of All Time". Rolling Stone. 2004-12-09. http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/500songs/page/5. Retrieved on 2007-12-22.

^ "Top 3000 Songs: The Top Songs from 1966". Acclaimed Music. 2007-07-31. http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/Current/1966s.htm. Retrieved on 2007-12-22.

^ "Top Artists: The Beatles". Acclaimed Music. 2007-07-31. http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/Current/The%20Beatles.htm. Retrieved on 2007-12-22.

^ Miles (1997), p. 280.

^ MacDonald (2005), p. 198.

^ "Rain". Rolling Stone. 2004-12-09. http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/6596308/rain. Retrieved on 2007-12-22.

If the rain comes they run and hide their heads.

They might as well be dead.

If the rain comes, if the rain comes.

When the sun shines they slip into the shade

(When the sun shines down.)

And drink their lemonade.

When the sun shines, when the sun shines.

Rain, I don't mind.

Shine, the weather's fine.

I can show you that when it starts to rain,

Everything's the same.

I can show you, I can show you.

Rain, I don't mind.

Shine, the weather's fine.

Can you hear me, that when it rains and shines,

It's just a state of mind?

Can you hear me, can you hear me?

If the rain comes they run and hide their heads.

sdaeh rieht edih dna nur yeht semoc niar eht fI.

(Rain)

naiR.

(Rain)

enihsnuS.

Ugh who's gonna guess seattle

54.0 °F

Partly Cloudy

Humidity: 69%

Dew Point: 44 °F

Wind: Calm

Wind Gust: 8.0 mph

Pressure: 29.94 in (Steady)

Visibility: 10.0 miles

UV: 6 out of 16

Clouds:

Few 6000 ft

(Above Ground Level)

Elevation: 301 ft

This isn't accurate, its raining and overcast out. heh normal...

It's going downhill for the next few days here. I'm on the Ohio River' date=' across from Paducah Ky. Most of my gigs are in Ky.

Best to ya.

Murph.[/quote']

I spent my 13th summer in Metropolis, Illinois with some folks last named Dyer...right across the river from Paducah! Great place in the '70s...

Archived