Gibson Brands Forums

Johnny Winter

littlekenny

I saw him on TV about 20 years ago. I think he was playing a Steinberger. It irritated me for some reason. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood to hear it or something. A few months ago I heard 'Mojo Boogie' and (to use an overworked expression) it blew me away. Ungodly slide work on that man. Changed my mind about him altogether.

Phenomenal' date=' in his heyday. A bit worried about him, now...health wise.

CB[/quote']

+1 on both counts. When he was at his peek there were none better. Now tho, looking very frail and playing like it. He's head lining the last day of Bluesfest International in July and I'm not even interested in seeing him. Just makes me sad.

johnnywinter2.jpg

I remember playing the heck out of Winter's 1969 live vinyl album. It was a 2 record foldout, with one side completely blank -- just 3 sides of music. Highly unusual. But, he was incredible. I think CD releases are called "Second Winter."

Hate to see him in declining health, but glad he still plays.

Going to see him at the Waterfront Blues Festival in Portland this July. I am currently downloading music from some of the artists that will be there. If you could just one album of his, what would it be?

Going to see him at the Waterfront Blues Festival in Portland this July. I am currently downloading music from some of the artists that will be there. If you could just one album of his' date=' what would it be?[/quote']

Johnny Winter AND (Live). Un-questionably some of his best work and the best version of Highway 61 in existence.

i do a show with him every year (next one in oct.). he was wrested from the clutches of his long time sh*t-heel of a manager, teddy slatus, a few years ago. teddy kept him dope dependent and robbed him blind. teddy died awhile back in a fall down a flight of stairs. he should rot. his new guy (paul) has helped him clean up his act and for the last 2 or 3 years johnny has been in great form. he's clear headed, much healthier and playing with a passion again. let's face it, he's a duffer but even taking that into consideration, he blows away guys half his age. go see him while you still can. you won't regret it if you're a fan.

me and johnny last year. thank god he had a shirt on! yikes!

DSC00157.jpg

Johnny's new manager is no slouch of a guitarist either.

I got to hear him before Johnny came out on stage.

Once he did' date=' Paul quietly stepped off stage.[/quote']

you're absolutely correct. johnny doesn't come to sound check. paul does it with the band. i always make sure i listen. he's very good. BTW, cali, great photos!

If you could just one album of his' date=' what would it be?[/quote']

Johnny Winter And (studio) and Still Alive and Well are both killer albums. There are some terrific tracks on Second Winter (Hustled Down In Texas and Memory Pain, for example) but the other two are excellent and representative of his work.

As a kid I used to hear his music on occasion. He was one of the reasons I began to love blues at a young age. If any of you haven't heard JW's The Progressive Blues Experiment, GET IT! I can't say enough good things about his guitar playing and everything about that album.

It was, I believe 1981, when I first went to see Johnny Winter. He flat out tore it up as a showman. He had this big black guy playing bass for him and during one solo the guy stood behind Johnny with his bass in front of Johnny, they took turns playing each others instruments soloing back and forth.

It was cool.

There was this guy in the crowd, I swear his head never stopped moving the entire show. Rocking hard all night long like Bevus and Butthead, back and forth head-banging throughout every song. I thought for sure he was going to hurt himself.

Saw Johnny in 69 at the Detroit Rock +Roll revival ,saw Johnny Winters And at the Eastown in 1970.Talk about energy.I learned all my first blues licks from Johnny because he played every blues lick known to man in every solo he played.I knew I had something going when I could finally keep up with him.I tried to play his slide licks with out a slide because I did'nt realize that he was playing slide at the time.Him and Edgar put a album out in the early called where's your brother? .It was incredible.He'll allways be a guitar hero for this guitar player.

Johnny Winter And (studio) and Still Alive and Well are both killer albums. There are some terrific tracks on Second Winter (Hustled Down In Texas and Memory Pain' date=' for example) but the other two are excellent and representative of his work.[/quote']

Johnny Winter And (Studio) is the best Johnny Album alright. I can't believe how far Under The Radar that album is. It's got Willie Dixon, Edgar Winter, Rick Deringer, young Tommy Shannon on the bass. Not to mention Johnny Winter doing the Rick Derringer penned "Rock and Roll Hoochie Coo" 3 years before the "All American Boy" version we're all used to.

"I Give You Everything I Have, Babe. Ain't That Kindness?"

Archived