Gibson Brands Forums

American rock bands that have changed your life & you regard as 'Classic'

Duende

Recently we celebrated the array of talent from GB, how about the many superb bands from the US!

My personal favourites are...Who do you love? (hearing Jim Morrison sing that as I write =D> )

The Doors

Nirvana

Foo Fighters

Metallica

The Beach Boys

edit Green Day and Velvet underground!

Matt

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bands that had an indelible effect on my musical development is kinda complicated - like most people.

But in a nutshell, the ones that were kinda like bumpers in a pinball machine would be;

Foreigner - as I started getting into music in the seventies. Pop, with great guitar work. Great vocals.

Fleetwood Mac on Rumours - To this day, an unsurpassed sculpture of sound. Sizzling Les Paul licks.

Boston - See F-Mac.

Bad Company - If I could listen to the music of only ten bands the rest of my life - these guys are in.

Foghat - Slide. Some people just don't seem to be affected the way I was. Next stop, the Blues...

AC/DC - those first albums with Bon Scott defined what I still believe to be the essence of Blues/Rock.

Kiss, from Alive & Alive II - Before I ever went to a live rock concert, I knew what one should sound like.

Oh, more subtle influences followed later with numerous discoveries as I learned to play.

I learned more about what influenced THOSE people and the connections just fell into place.

Many of my favorites are pretty obscure, I used the bands on the radio to make connections with great bands who had yet to "make it" and find mass market appeal. One of life's little treasures is to find a working rock/blues band in a bar or club just playing what they want to play and enjoying the freedom to do so for a paycheck.

The music is honest before a record label or management company gets in the way.

Probably have to say CCR. I was never the same again after discovering them back in '69. Their music influenced how I felt about music, and what I liked after that. John Fogerty is under-rated AFAIC and was finally included in Rolling Stone mag as one of the best guitarists ever.

And, just copy and paste Neo's list here too 'cause my experience was the same.

Tool. They've been around for 20 years' date=' that's classic enough for me.[/quote']

Wow...

You're right.

It just occurred to me that I first saw one of their videos in a Beavis and Butthead episode - early nineties.

I still think of them as a "new" band.

Warnings (if I was a mod)

Neo, for not reading the topics question,

Jocko for questioning it...

Steve Tari for saying Deep Purple are American, they are Brits again! Stop trying to nick our talent in the thread you lot!;)/

Also the Jimi Hendix band were two thirds British.

Finally I am as embarrassed as finding out that Foreigner are half British as you would be finding out that Posh and Scary from the Spice Girls, were born in the US.

Matt

Foo Fighters

The Band

Steve Earle

Foo Fighters

Talking Heads

Steeley Dan

Foo Fighters

I like Foo Fighters too.

Each one created a "lightbulb moment". With the exception of Talking Heads I came to each of them years after they were famous and each changed for the better my appreciation of a genre of music - that's why they changed my life.

I want to say Nine Inch Nails because it had such a tremendous impact on my life, but for some reason CLASSIC and Nine Inch Nails in the same sentence...its not computing!

So I pick the first American band I bought a record of with MY own money.

Guns and Roses made me want to PLAY guitar...not just stare up at a stage.

On a side note...

Today my uncle Tony, 57-year-old die hard rocker, came and introduced me to:

Jhonny Winter.

Its incredible to realize how many highly respected and widely known artists there are who have escaped youth's radar o.o

Great thread, great resource!

Archived