Gibson Brands Forums

American rock bands that have changed your life & you regard as 'Classic'

Duende

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow...

You're right.

It just occurred to me that I first saw one of their videos in a Beavis and Butthead episode - early nineties.

I still think of them as a "new" band.

Me too... don't you hate when that happens?

There are lots of 90s (and later) bands that I consider "new bands" and sometimes, I have to admit, "not worthy", when in reality they've been around for 20+ years :D

So I pick the first American band I bought a record of with MY own money.

Guns and Roses made me want to PLAY guitar...not just stare up at a stage.

Same here... GnR is what made me go from acoustic to electric some 15+ years ago.

By the way, that's one kicka$$ signature!:D

I dunno...

I really liked the Byrds and Butterfield and... Ian Tyson... Bill Monroe... Julie London's early records with just basically a jazz guitar backup...

But influencing my playing?

This may sound even more cynical than what I normally sound like <grin>, but I'd say that since my earliest days of picking in the early 1960s I was "influenced" as a "playing in a band" guitarist by whatever it was that made money. I'd practice to do the "cover" sorta thing, but... Pretty much the same arose among "the gang" in high school or college or youthful "hangaround groups" to do what the non-players wanted to hear the players do either for money or just "fun."

Basically people would hear me do something in one genre and ask, "could you do," and yeah, I could, so then I'd do rock or country, whatever, and listen to the stuff to figure the knockoff I was supposed to do.

When I was at home? Heavy on basic blues and efforts to do fingerstyle stuff on "standards" from the swing era as though I were playing a keyboard.

So... in ways I really don't know how to answer on a more personal basis.

m

I'd say all these bands:

The Doors

Nirvana

Metallica

The Beach Boys

Van Halen

Lynyrd Skynyrd

CCR

ZZ Top

Foreigner

Fleetwood Mac

Boston

Bad Company

Foghat

KISS

REO Speedwagon

Charlie Daniels Band

Ted Nugent

Many of my favorites are pretty obscure' date=' I used the bands on the radio to make connections with great bands who had yet to "make it" and find mass market appeal. One of life's little treasures is to find a working rock/blues band in a bar or club just playing what they want to play and enjoying the freedom to do so for a paycheck.

The music is honest before a record label or management company gets in the way.

[/quote']

ahh very true and well-put Neo. I completely agree with you on the last statement. And I am the same way with listening to local bands that havnt "made it" yet they still sound great...

Ah' date=' you Brits and your humour..

'](*,)/

Notice I spelled 'humor' your way...

:-)

hehehe.... ;P

For me, above and beyond any of the millions of bands I dig on, the two that changed my life are

Sonic Youth

The Velvet Underground

Honorable mention to early electric Bob Dylan and all of the one hit wonders, psychedelic, & garage rock bands of the 60s like the Count Five and 13th Floor Elevator.

Weather Report-Jaco pastorius

Boston-Fran Sheehan

Rush-Getty Lee

Led Zeppelin-John Paul Jones

The Who-John Entwistle

Cream-Jack Bruce

Red Hott Chili Peppers-Flea

Sting and the Police-Gordon Sumner

Wings/The Beatles-Paul McCartney

All of which Have Fantastic Bass Players, All of had a postive impact on my bass playing style

Ah' date=' you Brits and your humour..

#-o/

Notice I spelled 'humor' your way...

:-)

I noticed that softy gesture,

A big gaylord of a cuddle sent your way. Maybe we can bring back that ´special relationship´ !

Matt

Not sure I want to follow THAT post..... #-o

I gotta go with Mark Farner and Grand Funk, too, as an early "American Band" influence ( no more "pun"ishment!). I'd also have to say I was influenced by the Eagles, and Joe Walsh in particular.

But in all honesty, my life as a guitar player changed the day I heard "Running With the Devil" on the radio, so Eddie and Van Halen.

...The Bottle Rockets.......

Now that's the 1st time I've seen them mentioned here. :- One of my favorites, and the best band ever to come out of Festus, Missouri!

.."A thousand dollar car it ain't worth nothin'... a thousand dollar car it ain't worth s**t...

Might as well take your thousand dollars... and light fire to it"

The Beach Boys- I learned Chuck Berry riffs thanks to Carl Wilson and realized that a beautiful melody could take me to a better place from his brother Brian.

Chicago- The early incarnation gets overlooked in my opinion. Their rock/ jazz fusion in the early 70's was awesome stuff and Terry Kath's guitar playing and Danny Seraphines drumming were amazing.

Eagles- Proof positive that a**holes (read Henley and Frey) can be pretty good songwriters. Felder and Walsh are great.

Steely Dan- Some of the best produced albums I ever heard. Great musicians playing great tunes. Aja' with the headphones on= incredible. Every album contained weird characters and plenty of in jokes.

Fountains of Wayne- Not so well known but these guys are great songwriters. Their songs are perfectly crafted with humor and hooks galore. Stacy's Mom is their big hit but all their CDs are loaded with excellent pop.

Cheap Trick- Loved the early albums before they became teeny bop idols but still a great live band.

Archived