Gibson Brands Forums

What was your first car?

daveinspain

'75 Pontiac Trans Am, 400 with a Hurst 4-speed. Silver exterior, black interior and a non-functioning a/c...not so good during hot Florida summers. Fun to drive when it was actually up and running but pretty much a P.O.S.

Picture this POS in medium blue metal-flake with a black vinyl top. 272v8- Goodyear Polyglass-

518large+1968_dodge_dart+front_right_view.jpg

Couldn't wait till it looked like this----->>>istockphoto_6172186-aluminum-cans.jpg

And I can guarantee that everyone of those cans leaked... Just like everything on the damn car did..

A 1971 Mazda 616' date=' [/quote']

That was my first car too. Mine was orange which matched the rust [biggrin]

It had a broken conrod when I bought it. I was told it was just a valve ticking. Eventually I took it apart and installed a new conrod and piston. Then the oil pump went and the engine seized, so I installed a used engine. Ah the memories. At least i learned a lot...

DJ

--

1959 Beetle. 30hp.

ThumperMk1.jpg

My flatmate bought it as a scrap rolling shell to use in the rebuild of his '59 Type 1 Karmann convertible. He decided that the shell was too good to trash so I bought it from him and rebuilt the thing myself.

It had been abandoned for about fifteen years after the owner died. His wife didn't want to sell it so it rotted, bit-by-bit until she herself died and her daughter sold it to a scrapyard.

When it arrived at our flat we took the air filter off, poured in some petrol, hot-wired the engine and it started first time!

Had it 10 years. It led a hard life. Rusted in all the usual places.

It had 'semaphore' indicators rather than flashers...not many people noticed them in use!

Broke down frequently but the beauty of these things is that with an ounce of common sense and a smidgen of mech. know-how they can always be fixed road-side. One time, in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday, I holed a piston and drove the home 50 miles praying the oil would last the course. It did, of course. It even made it home after throwing a small-end bearing. Rattled, but got home.

Sold it to an actor who had just finished filming "Shakespeare in Love".

Would love to have it back.

1987 Ford Bronco XLT. I don't have a digital picture of it. I miss it sometimes but I don't miss the expense of owning it. Here a picture of a newer one (not mine). I could find a picture of one that looked close enough. I was able to fit a lot of guitars in that thing.

ford_bronco.jpg

My 1st car was a 67 Chev Belair 4dr sedan it only had a 250cu. in. 6cyl. but it could get up to 90 no problem,it was huge,like driving around in a living room.I saw one just like it in this month's Auto Trader only for it's down in the States about 2,000 miles from where I am I'd seriously consider buying it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I accidently posted this in the "Cars" thread, so sorry for double posting it. By the time I got the picture scanned to my computer I just hit the first car thread, not knowing that there was two.

My first ride was this '65 Mustang, bought it in 1985. It originally had a straight 6 and I spend months in the garage beefing up a 302 with some extra goodies that I dropped in it. Fun car, fast as hell. Ahhh, the good old days.

This pic is from Senior Ball in 1987...

stang.jpg

RE: Chevy Vega...

Some of them had some good stuff and it was a good concept with poor engineering... Mine was destroyed functionally at roughly 40,000 miles, though. It couldn't take being "on the road for a regional newspaper reporter."

The flywheel cover was plastic. I think I went through a half dozen of them from hitting jackrabbits at night. That's not a joke. Back in the 70s around here they were like bugs hitting the windshield.

The little aluminum fourbanger just wasn't enough.

BTW, after that first Chrysler Hemi, I had an even bigger Chrysler engine in a four-door hardtop design that was great for hauling people and gear and ... stuff. Mileage? At 80 mph roughly 27 mpg - but that was without federal anti-smog crap.

Then came the 383-325-horse Chrysler with, for the era, a slightly smaller than "sedan" frame and simultaneously the Austin Healey 3000. The Chrysler was a lot better for most dating purposes and was quite fast, if not quick. I don't think I ever got it much over 135 or 140, though.

The old Healey hadda be driven far differently from newer outfits. The wire wheels and tubed non-radial tires meant that to really move around corners, you hadda half break loose all four tires and keep on the gas. Mine also had the electric overdrive on top of the normal 4 speed tranny.

And then... <grin>

m

SteveJoshlay1

my first is the one ive got now, past my test 14 yrs ago but only got my first car 6 months ago

Glad I'm not going to England any time soon lol JUST KIDDING around

My first car was a 1980 Chevy Impala with a 305 in it. It was an ex cop car and purred like a kitten. Best car I ever owned too .

say hi to THE BEAST!

VAUXHALL ASTRA 06 PLATE 2.0 SRI TURBO [biggrin]

O.O I'm thinking about getting one of these' date=' actually.

Good mpg and its a hatchback, what else do you need?

Though a sportster would be nice before kids show up.

Mine was:

[img']http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss234/fukit1612/buick.jpg[/img]

First accident ever I hit a cop car. He was in an Impala. I crushed his car. His front passenger tire went up into the...you get the idea. Mine got a dent. I feel inlove with my Buick after that. The cop was very nice, btw.

I was glad he was my first wreck. Handsome devil and a gent as well.

That was my first car too. Mine was orange which matched the rust [biggrin]

It had a broken conrod when I bought it. I was told it was just a valve ticking. Eventually I took it apart and installed a new conrod and piston. Then the oil pump went and the engine seized' date=' so I installed a used engine. Ah the memories. At least i learned a lot...

DJ

--

[/quote']

Yeah, I learned alot too! I found out that my best friend's boyfriend used to own the car and had driven it (window-deep) into a river, where it sat overnight waiting for a tow truck to pull it out. That explained alot of things about that car. [biggrin]

Archived