Gibson Brands Forums

How do you get over a bad show?

Silenced Fred

We were playing Little Sister by Queens of the Stone Age and I sang the second verse. The lead guitarist turned down his amp considerably and I couldn't hear him and everyone turned at looked at more for some reason, so I thought it was time for me to sing. I came in halfway through his interlude, and fxcked up the whole song. We made it through and I managed to recover, but it just pisses me off that I messed up so bad.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the audience notices (you'd be surprised how many people don't) then smile at the end of the song and make some sort of humble reference to your mistake. Maybe promise not to butcher the next song....

Near the end of the show (if you wanna redeem yourself) ask the crowd if they wanna hear QOTSA again.

If they chuckle and laugh, let it go.

If they shout and cheer in approval, play it again - correctly.

That, or just get drunk, throw your gear in the truck and drive home....

[cool]

Well' date=' I was told I was singing the second verse at 3 o clock today, our concert was at 5, and it was because the lead singer "didn't feel like it".

[angry

Now I look like an a$$

Nah. You had balls to do it at all. Let it go, and have a talk with your ex lead singer. [cool]

Nah. You had balls to do it at all. Let it go' date=' and have a talk with your ex lead singer. [biggrin']

HA, I wish, he doesn't even sing that well, but it was a school formed group, so I have to deal with it for now, although I am planning a smaller break away group. Why are singers so flaky?

By not giving a f**k...

When I played parts of Sweet Child O Mine in school, I made two serious mistakes that lead to it sounding like....crap.

I decided to play it without my pinky, like slash did, and it wasn't my guitar, my gibson was out of action because of a burst string and I wasn't used to it...the guy I borrowed it from was a rhythm player, his action was much higher, and it didn't bother him because he didn't really use the area of the board a lead guitar player would...

I had no time to get accustomed, I literally went upstairs a second before assembly, threw it on, and started to play...

I didn't acknowledge my mistakes, and the cheering grew by the time I was done...

I redeemed it kinda by playing highway to hell and back in black perfectly.

If the audience notices (you'd be surprised how many people don't) then smile at the end of the song and make some sort of humble reference to your mistake. Maybe promise not to butcher the next song....

+1 That is good advice. I will try to remember that one

Yeah, like 1319 says...

You'd be amazed at how many people don't hear the mistake, or even care if they do.

One thing you can NOT rely on;

Don't look into the crowd to quickly study faces and gauge how many people heard your mistake.

People intuitively know when somebody is looking at them, so when you look at them they will look back.

Now you're thinking to yourself "Yep, everybody's looking at me because I fxcked up the song and we suck...."

[cool]

The eye contact thing can really shake your confidence.

This from a friend who has been playing professionally for over 40 years.

I woulda never thought he gets shook up.

He says he really doesn't, but when you goof...

The more I played onstage, the more I realized how right he was.

Now if he goofs and looks at me......

[angry]

He guys are right half the time the audience doesn't even notice.

My band played as the house band gor our high school's yearly american idol knockoff competion and we tried to play Play That Funky Music. I had just learned the words that morning (attempted to) and was not ready but the guys wanted to do it [cool]. Needless to say i wasn't ready but we did it anyway and wure enough i couldn't remember anythink but the first verse so i just mumbled something that sounded like words and lo and behold we had almost the whole gym rockin out.

note to self: that's still a popular song..... [angry]

I agree with Neo on the pointing out with humor. You defuse it and then there is no point in pointing it out.

A an audience member exclusively (never been onstage unless it was karaoke time, aww yeah!) I think most of us don't WANT you to fk up, and if you do, it's like "its cool buddy, get back up there" or "wow, poor dude." That's IF we know you and are paying attention. Unless it's my fav band in the whole world I'm like, "Oh, there's a band?"

If you've not had a BAD gig, you've not played enough shows.

Think of how many G&R must have had, or Led Zep...as I type I can't even fathom it but I'm sure it happened.

It probably won't be the last screw up. That's live music for ya. I know it's embarrassing but don't let it affect you going forward.

I remember royally screwing up Times Like These by Foo Fighters. We knew we hadn't rehearsed it enough but tried to pull it off anyway. I still cringe when I think of those awful two minutes or so [love]

Yeah, most people in a bar, club, gig...are dancing, chatting (yelling) with/at their friends, might hear the opening

riff...IF it's one they know, or like/love. But, beyond that, they're into what They're doing, not what you're doing...

except as "background," mostly. YOU, on the other hand, and your fellow musicians, hear EVERY wrong note,

or botched word, imaginable. But, you're looking for it...concentrating on it, or NOT doing it...which, sometimes

will almost guarantee you will "screw up!" Relax, go with it...smile to yourself, or your band mates...and just

"Rock On!" You can always make a mental note, of what/where the "problem" is, in the song, and work a bit

more, on that, at the next rehearsal.

Cheers,

CB

My jazz instructor once told me "if you're going to make a mistake let the whole world know it." His point was if you make a mistake and try to hide it or get around it then you'll make another mistake for sure. It's all about confidence. This carries through in all aspects of life. In my job I have to give many presentations to some high level people. But I never get nervous because of what my jazz instructor taught me many years ago. If you keep thinking you'll mess up then you will. It's that simple. I've done national radio shows, TV, the whole works. I just don't care about messing up. Guess what? I hardly mess up these days and in fact I don't even need to prepare anymore. It just flows naturally after you've done it over and over again with confidence...

First of all, NEVER acknowlege a mistake to an audience. 1 out of a hundred MAY have noticed, and it makes you and the whole band look like amateurs by admitting to it.

Secondly and most important, Whenever you do make a mistake (and we all do), just turn and look at the bass player.......

I play a lot of one-of shows, probably 8-10 a year. I'll woodshed in my practice room with the charts and/or recordings, attend a few (if that many) rehearsals, and then to the concert stage or orchestra pit. I get ONE CHANCE to play it right. If the show night just happens to be a "bad day", I'm screwed. The only thing you can do is be prepared and play the best you can. Sometimes you blow the roof of the joint, sometimes it tanks. There have been many times that I said to myself "if we only did this show one more time, I'd get it right".

I did a Big Band show a couple Sundays ago. The opening number was a Count Basie chart with a Freddie Green guitar and piano intro at about 340 bpm. So basically I'm playing (or supposed to be playing) about six different chords every two seconds, two beats each. About bar 14 I missed a chord and didn't catch up until about bar 25, in front of a packed house at a college campus concert hall. I will receive a recording of that show and I just can't wait to relive the agony all over again. The band director thought it was a great show.

You learn to shake it off.

Archived