Gibson Brands Forums

Happy New Axe Day To Me!!!

Notes_Norton

OK, I know it's a guitar forum, and you've seen my guitars more times than you probably care to (I post them at every opportunity). But I just got a new sax, I've waited a few months for it to arrive and it just got here.

I had it custom made to my own specifications. The brass is plated with two coats of nickel, and there is no lacquer on it. It sounds great and looks great. It was made in Taiwan by an Austin Texas company, and the owner liked my horn so much he might start offering it as a standard model. I told him he should name it the "Bob 'Notes' Norton Edition" and have most of the sax players in the world wondering who in the heck Bob "Notes" Norton is ;-)

Here are some pictures. If you want to see more, there are 14 of them posted here:

http://www.nortonmusic.com/macsax.html

03-full.jpg

07-bell-red.jpg

09-eng-neck.jpg

12-rh.jpg

13-rh-red.jpg

11-lh.jpg

01-case.jpg

What do you think? Isn't it a beauty? And it sounds as good as it looks!

Notes

Congrats, Bob! That's a real beauty!

Even though I'm a rock and roll guitar player, I grew up with parents who are very into music (both have their master's degrees in music teaching) so I can still appreciate a sweet instrument that isn't a guitar. My father's main instrument is sax and he bought himself a really nice Selmer some 15 years ago and I still remember how excited he was when he first got it.

Cheers and have fun! [biggrin]

Thanks for the compliments. It is a beauty.

And it is going to be my own signature model. The sax maker said he liked my options so much, that he is going to issue it as the "Bob 'Notes' Norton edition".

Now I can pretend I'm a famous sax player ;-)

And it sounds as good as it looks.

Notes

Thanks for the compliments. It is a beauty.

And it is going to be my own signature model. The sax maker said he liked my options so much' date=' that he is going to issue it as the "Bob 'Notes' Norton edition".

Now I can pretend I'm a famous sax player ;-)

And it sounds as good as it looks.

Notes[/quote']

Way cool, Bob, congrats! :-k[lol]

It's a great looking instrument and - I've a hunch given what you've said - it likely plays like a dream for you.

Also - I saw that apparently some younger members don't quite recall when the sax was "THE" Rock lead instrument for a lotta bands.

Enjoy - and I'm sure you will.

m

Let us know when it goes to production. I don't know if my father is in the market for a new sax' date=' but something that hot might put him in there.[/quote']

Write to mike@macsax.com - he might make a custom one for your father before they go official.

Nice buy Bob' date=' Things must be good. [/quote']

Could be better but I really needed a new horn. It's my profession, so I can justify the charge on the Amex card ;-)

Beautiful...How do you tune it?

Pushing the mouthpiece in towards the horn makes it sharper, pulling it out makes it flatter.

See the first picture. The mpc is brass and between it and the silver part is a thin layer of greased cork over the brass/nickel horn.

Funny thing. Cold weather makes guitars go sharp because the strings get tighter, and it makes the sax go flat due to the speed of sound changing with the temperature making the horn seem longer (and vice versa for warm weather). So when playing in guitar bands, if the temperature changes, it's usually the sax player who adjusts to stay in tune with the guitars -- after all the guitar has 6 strings the sax one mouthpiece.

I gigged with it all weekend, and it plays better than I expected. It responds like a sports car.

I sold my oldest sax. It was too corroded to do me any good, but it was a great sax, so a repairman gave me a very good price for it. The sax I played last week is in the shop getting some new pads and springs, and will be my backup horn as soon as it comes back.

Notes

Let me put it this way. My wife just said:

''Wow! Damn beautiful! How can a guitar look as stunning as this one...?''

Well' date=' I don't agree all the way, but it's certainly stunning man! Congrats and enjoy it as much as it deserves! :- [/quote']

Guitars have a different kind of beauty.

Neither is better, just different.

Notes

Nice' date=' Notes......

Just sayin'.......

God bless ya pal, I know you are a gigger just like me, and it's a tough new World.....

Best of luck.

Murph.[/quote']

Thank, same to ya.

Gigging isn't what it used to be. I see two major reasons.

1) The economy sucks.

2) Large screen TV sets with huge cable TV subscriptions.

It used to be that people needed to leave their home to get quality entertainment. TV was black and white (later color), with low fidelity audio, and lots of advertisements. I have a relative that plays almost $200.00 per month for Cable, and spent big bucks on a huge flat screen TV with 7.1 sound. His monthly entertainment dollars are sewed up in his living room.

But there is still enough work for me to pay the mortgage.

Notes

Archived