Gibson Brands Forums

Found 3 Les Pauls - I HATE black...

NeoConMan

In my travels about the frozen heartland of the USA last week, I made the acquaintance of

three different Les Pauls I would really like to buy.

Problem is, they're all three Ebony.

I hate black guitars, especially those finished in nitro cellulose because the finish is so soft and vulnerable.

I've had two black LP Standards over the years, swore there would never be another.

(Actually, one of the LP's is one I used to own...)

A friend of mine bought my Ebony 1993 Standard from me in 2000.

Talked about selling it a time or two, guaranteed me first right of refusal.

Always changed his mind and kept it.

Now he's flirting with me again, the fxcker....

His wife pissed away some money and then took out a title loan on her truck without his permission.

Things are kinda ugly at his house lately.

He might sell a guitar to free up some cash.

Then there's the used '57 Reissue 3 p/u Black Beauty with a Bigsby that I found, the price is right.

Then there's the 1976 Custom I found at a little Mom & Pop shop in a small town.

Part of an estate, they put several guitars on consignment (and Ebay) from their store.

Auction eneded on Ebay with no buyers - there it sits.....

I really don't want to spend the money on ANY guitars right now.

I HATE black finishes.

All three are smokin' deals.

Mrs. Neo said to do whatever I want.

Jeez....

Ditto for me on black guitars. My Custom is black; I don't care for black because it shows all the finger prints and I really don't like gold hardware because it tarnishes. However, when I bought this guitar, it was the badass mofo LP I had ever played (and still is). My advice to you is this: if you REALLY like one of those guitars then go for it but if you're buying it just because it's a deal then skip it unless you think you can flip it for a profit.

Oh no Rich, let there be no mistake....

I really, really, really want all three of them - no flipping.

Thus, the dilema.

[biggrin]

I played them all extensively (well, I used to own one of them) and they all kick ***.

Did I mention the price is right on all three?

#-o

Which one?

(Heavy sigh....)

Buy all three, after all, they're still Les Pauls. You can't go too wrong there... But if you have to choose only one, I'd get the one from your friend. You owned it before, so you know it's history and you know where it's been, in your friend's hands. Unless one of the other two really spoke to you. Awe shucks, I really didn't help you that much... Wish I had your problem with the permission from the significant other to buy another LP or three...

Then there's the used '57 Reissue 3 p/u Black Beauty with a Bigsby that I found' date=' the price is right.[/quote']

This is the one I would go for...except for the fact that it has the middle pickup - but hey, if it doesn't bother you when you play it, then it's all good.

Buy all three' date=' after all, they're still Les Pauls. You can't go too wrong there... But if you have to choose only one, I'd get the one from your friend. You owned it before, so you know it's history and you know where it's been, in your friend's hands. Unless one of the other two really spoke to you. Awe shucks, I really didn't help you that much... Wish I had your problem with the permission from the significant other to buy another LP or three...

[/quote']

+1

this is exactly my angle as well. Word per word.

I don't currently own any black guitars, but I used to have an old black telecaster and liked it. I wish my Rickenbacker 360/12 was black (jetglo) or some other colour than it is (mapleglo) but it was the only one I could find at the time and I really needed one. Luckily it has a very nice pattern in the wood grain so it's still pretty cool!

I love those old black J-45's with white pickguards!!

Then there's the used '57 Reissue 3 p/u Black Beauty with a Bigsby that I found' date=' the price is right.[/quote']

Oh I would LOVE to get a Les Paul with a Bigsby! This particular model always had a place in my heart too. It would easily be my first choice of the three. I think the advantages of having this guitar far outweigh the disadvantages of not (I'd go nuts if it was a steal and I didn't get it, but that's just me)....

I used to hate Ebony guitars also the swirls and the way everything showed fingerprints used to drive me crazy then I found Gerlitz polish and everything changed. Amazing hard finish and high gloss keeps the black paint looking like the day it was painted and hard enough surface that fingerprints and smudges are not a issue and they make a product spray polish called Smudge Off for in between waxes.

wax_large.gif

Is the 76 a solid back or a two piece stacked body?

Do you have a three pick up Paul or a Bigsby already?

How much do you miss that '93?

For me, I only like black Les Pauls when they have Gold Hardware. However, if I was going to use it for a Player, I'd go with the '93 or the '76, especially if the '76 happens to be a tone machine (odds are [biggrin] ).

I don't like Three pick up Les Pauls, but the 57 reissue would be a nice Addition to any collection. That's for sure.

Archived