Gibson Brands Forums

Modern Teenagers and the Classics...

Oubaas

I'll tell ya, things change. My 15-year-old-daughter was looking for a t-shirt to buy for her boyfriend, and was thinking about one with some band called, "Rise Against" on it.

Being a helpful 51-year-old Dad, I of course intervened and suggested that she get him something, good, and suggested Corrosion of Conformity.

She then informed me that she was not familiar with the band. "What's that?" I believe is the way she put it. I, of course, not wanting to neglect my child's acculturation, immediately played her a couple of cuts from Corrosion of Conformity's "Animosity" album, relatively early classics.

Alas, her reaction was, "That's horrible!"

But, that's the way it goes. I guess you can't expect a 15-year-old girl to like the same sort f music as a 51-year-old cowboy.

Kids, ya know! Sheesh! They don't know what good music is!

Cheers!

Rick...:P

I think you have to accept that the next generation will NEVER like what the previous generation liked.... We'll never understand their fascination of the music they like' date=' and they'll mock ours...it's just the natural order of things!![/quote']

Acutal i dont like my generation music.

Im 15 and i think todays music sucks and is untalnted.

60's,70's,80's and 90's were true music times. [cool]

I think you have to accept that the next generation will NEVER like what the previous generation liked....

Thats unfortunatley true in most cases.

Of course I hate 95% of modern music. (I'm 15)

I love all the stuff from pre-80s. Some stuff in he 80s' date=' basically nothing in the 90s. Robert Johnson is absolutley awesome.

Rap [b']is not [/b]music

Jazz is awesome (Coltrane, Monk, Metheny etc)

I'll be honest I am not crazy about corrosion but I find that the more a teen listens to music the more they generally pull away from modern music. Then again even though I'm seventeen I have never been a 15 year old girl. Bob Dylan stands as my favorite artist to date other than that I particularly enjoy the blues and music that's largely based off poetic imagery....Though I'm also a sucker for music with a well played piano/guitar.

THere's a lot to comment on the generational gap/changes in musical tastes. I'll just make this point:

Each successive generation throughout modern history has taken their music to new extremes to shock their parents. Think of Hot Jazz and flappers, Elvis' hips, go-go boots, the rise of power chords and Marshall stacks, Glam Rock androgyny, Heavy Metal doom, Goth sociopathy, Rap thugs, etc.

It's interesting to me today's kids have reached a point where the ability for their music to shock people cannot go any further, short of murdering people on stage. Everything has been done to excess. They can't up the ante any more. And at this point, their parents were probably into more shocking stuff than they are.

Witness, Oubaas playing COC for his daughter. There's probably not much she can listen to that will top that. So where do the kids today go. It's kind of their cultural "duty" to do things that distance themselves form their parents' generation. Where do they go? So far their answer seems to be over-produced rap, whiny mall-punk, and 80s retro.

Not too impressive, if you ask me...

I was a weird kid I think, in terms of music anyway. I listened to Black Sabbath, Glenn Miller, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Paul Revere and the Raiders, Joni Mitchell, 70's AM radio hits, Uriah Heep, Ralph Stanley, Pat Boone, Led Zeppelin, etc and loved it ALL. I'm still like that. I didn't know Corrosion of Conformity was a band. I thought it was the name of one of our Gibby forumites.

few years ago, my friend and I were playing guitar in the park, and this young girl comes up and asks if she can sit and listen. Pretty soon she is singing the words to every Beatle's song we could come up with......Good music just prevails over time.....ahhh....the 60's and 70's.....

Well, it's not totally hopeless, folks. She may not like Corrosion of Conformity or Black Sabbath, but I can get her to listen to a little Led Zeppelin and some Stevie Ray Vaughan.

But even better, I got both of my daughters out of a Taylor Swift rut and introduced them to Joni Mitchell, Janis Ian, et al, and they are starting to discern between singers and musicians and studio creations.

And of course, they humor the old man. Whether I do Merle Haggard, Alan Jackson, Randy Travis, or even if I'm in a different mood, and playing Jim Croce, Don MacLean, Gordon Lightfoot or even Leon Redbone, they tell me they like it. Wonderful kids, love the old man, LOL!

Cheers!

Rick...[love]

I took my son to Merlefest a few years ago.

About the second day or so he said' date=' "Dad, you notice how Doc keeps playing Led Zeppelin songs?"[/quote']

ROFLMAO! Yep! I even caught Doc doin' an Eric Burdon and the Animals tune once! He's as bad as Robert Johnson for coverin' those rock classics, LOL!

Cheers!

Rick...[biggrin]

I took my son to Merlefest a few years ago.

About the second day or so he said' date=' "Dad, you notice how Doc keeps playing Led Zeppelin songs?"[/quote']

lol.

i was in the car with my daughter (17) and she had her mix cd on - kanye, jay-z, lady gaga etc and then ..boston's 'more than a feeling' comes on. 'where did that come from?' i asked. 'it was on an episode of one tree hill', she says.

From my own perspective as a true antique, I'd say that one young feller's comment is pretty much right on in that the first half of the 20th century pretty much set the stage for what came after.

But you've gotta figure that a bunch of stuff was happening, too, that strongly influenced music and especially made Anglophone music increasingly important in the world community.

First the phonograph, then radio, then movies with sound came into the world at the same time North America was truly becoming a modern cultural center combining and discovering its own regional musical styles...

Yeah, I'm counting Canada as part of the same "center" not so much because of politics that separate the two countries, but rather because the pattern of settlement and development was so very similar and so very similarly tied especially to the U.K. on the east and China and Japan at the west.

Anyway, as we went through the teens into the 20s, where was the big Anglophone burst of "power" in North America. WWI was incredibly destructive of the UK, France, Germany the rest of Europe in population and everything else. North America was relatively untouched by that kind of losses and "American" music through a rapidly growing phonograph, motion picture and radio business became worldwide standards.

Why "short" songs? That's easy. Longer pieces didn't fit onto phonograph records of the day, and the shorter pieces either live or recorded make a good basis to run radio commercials.

Canadians and Americans may both note that there are more than a few "artists" and rodeo riders <grin> who are very much a part of our common culture dating back to even before Guy Lombardo and his Royal Canadians.

Anyway, add WWII and the American "records" being played worldwide, and the stage was set for WWII electronics to go into overdrive. The economy changed and combos, not "big bands" became the standard and electric amplification became part of the musical culture. Electric guitars, or at least amplified stringed instruments, became "it" for all sorts of popular music.

By the 1960s the U.K. was pretty much getting back into business as a going economy and rock bands from there had adapted to North American musical equipment and put their own "spin" on North American styles of music that shared a lot of original roots from the British Isles...

Yeah, that's an oversimplification... still...

It appears to me there has been no major change in music in a lot of ways since the 1960s. I don't count "rap" as music, btw, although it shares some features with "native american" drum sets in a rhythm which a vocal line done in a sing-song sort of voice.

We still have combos with roughly the same instrumentation and rhythms.

But... to the teenage syndrome... yeah, there are fad subtypes and artists who will capture the imagination of many young people. To be a bit cynical, I'd say that some of it has to do more with teenage group bonding while creating a needed space from parents and childhood than anything.

Then there are "kids" like some here who like swing and 50s-60s rock. And young adults like Karen-Gilliangirl <grin> who listened to a broad range of music, and older guys like me who did the same but over a somewhat older spectrum of stuff.

Still... in ways I think the Internet makes us all a bit broader in our musical tastes because so much is available.

m

Playing Rock Star games has ruined my oldest grandson's concept of playing guitar. He just wants to play lead sections and can not play any song through. At least he does like the Classic Rock that I grew up listening to. I can't wait for him to out grow the Rock Star phase so that we can play a few songs together.

I'll tell ya' date=' things change. My 15-year-old-daughter was looking for a t-shirt to buy for her boyfriend, and was thinking about one with some band called, "Rise Against" on it. [/quote']

Well, I agree that it's weird to think of bands I loved as a high school class of 95'er that are pretty much old school now, but one thing I can tell you is that Rise Against is the real deal! Last March I saw Chris Cornell play in London at the Shepherd's Bush Empire and to do the old Temple of the Dog song "Hungerstrike" he had Rise Against singer Tim McIlrath join him on stage. I was right down in front and took these pics, see the bottom one, Chris is a big Gibson guitar player, he uses this H-bird a lot and I've also seen him play an Elvis Dove live too. Click for the full size image

tn_DSCF1677.jpg

tn_DSCF1697.jpg

I visited my parents at the weekend and saw my 17yo nephew, who I had not seen for some time.

He has taken up the electric guitar so we got talking.

The music he's into - ACDC, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard. Meatloaf. Like you Dem00n and DAS44, he says most of the modern stuff is rubbish so listens to Classic Rock most of the time.

My eldest (16) is more into "Street Music" (correct label?) and does not play guitar. I hate most of it but I've seen Jay-Z and Kanye West on Jools Holland. Having watched these 2 acts play live I did change my opinion that they are all just manufactured tripe- well partially!

Archived