Gibson Brands Forums

marshall jcm 900?...i'm disapointed

S t e v e

i went into the rehersal studio lastnight for a jam session with a few mates, as soon as i walked in i saw the marshall stack and couldn't wait to plug my les paul in, but i spent over two hours trying to get the tone i craved but it never happend!, the last time i played through it i used my ibanez jem and got the tone i craved so i had high hopes of the gibson/marshall set up...the clean ch was ok but the overdriven ch was pretty bad! i also tried some stompboxes but just couldn't find what i wanted, when i came home and plugged into the line 6 (solid state) i was back in tone heaven!, maybe it was just one of those days...[blink]

i went into the rehersal studio lastnight for a jam session with a few mates' date=' as soon as i walked in i saw the marshall stack and couldn't wait to plug my les paul in, but i spent over two hours trying to get the tone i craved but it never happend!, the last time i played through it i used my ibanez jem and got the tone i craved so i had high hopes of the gibson/marshall set up...the clean ch was ok but the overdriven ch was pretty bad! i also tried some stompboxes but just couldn't find what i wanted, when i came home and plugged into the line 6 (solid state) i was back in tone heaven!, maybe it was just one of those days...[biggrin] [/quote']

Well, that's just blasphemy [biggrin]

I know what you mean though, some people talk so highly about amps, but if it's not your tone you are looking for, then so be it. If a Line 6 works for you, good on ya

No, I'm sure it's not a joke at all. One thing you've got to remember about tube amps: If you want that 'sweet sound' you've got to overdrive the tubes. That means running at about 80% of power (or more). Unless you can turn it up loud enough to do that (if you're rehearsing in an arena, for instance) you won't be able to drive a high-watt Marshall hard enough to get to the 'sweet spot'.

The best advise I can give anybody who desires to buy a tube amp: 18 watts or less. Even a 40-watt Fender is pretty difficult to turn up loud enough to get that sweet overdriven sound without a visit from the cops.

I gigged a 4100 (JCM900, 100 watt Dual Reverb) 1/2 stack from about '93 till about '99. I ended up using a Peavey Classic 50 2;12 combo a lot in clubs because of the drummer not being able to hear behind the sealed cab, running him a separate mix was a pain, ect, and you could crank the 50 watter for a better tone, ect.

The Marshall sounded bad on the 50 watt setting, but in 100 watt mode was great for outside gigs!

I actually really liked the clean channel with the ceremics in my '79 SG, and I was playing a Strat some back then.

One thing I really loved about the 4100 was the 2; 500ma fuses. One for each pair of power tubes, (mine was an early one that used EL34's.). They would blow instantly if a tube shorted and save the head, and they REALLY WORKED SEVERAL TIMES.

I could coax damned usable tones out of if if I HAD to, and it was a very dependable rig that was beat to crap for 5/6 years gigging all over.

It was kinda narley with the clipping diodes though, and I had to move on.

Best to ya.

My 50 watt Sunn is the sh¡t, but way too loud to usably play in many of the venues I have been playing (high school auditorium, cafeteria) so that's why I'm going to sell it for something smaller. The tone is unbelievable, but I can't play it above 4 ever. Too damn loud. Will I regret selling it? Possibly, but I will be getting something that is usable.

I know they don't get much respect now days but that late 70s Classic with the 2 12s was a great amp. Perfect for clubs. Built like a tank. Mine took beating and never failed me.

I knew a guy that had one of those. Mine was an early '90's with 4;EL84's and 3; 12AX7's. Fan cooled. Yours was built back when they built the Mace, Deuce, ect, solid state pramp, tube power.

Gary Rossington played a Mace for 25 years or more. Maybe still?

Not necessarily. The JCM 900 is an especially horrid amp' date=' even as far as Marshalls go. All in my little humble opinion, of course.[/quote']

It is pretty high gain...which would make it kinda tough to sound like Gary Moore IMHO. [cool]

Is it better to overdrive the preamp or the power tubes?

With the Master Volume on the 900 (and my 800) you dime the preamp.

Adjust overall volume to suit using the master' date=' around 2 is pretty damned loud.

6 is loud enough for somebody to call the cops.

Honestly, I hear other people play through my Marshall and I like the way it sounds better.

They will reveal every flaw in your technique - and make it LOUDER.

I'm still a smaller/Fender amp guy for the most part.

And to be brutally honest, the JCM 900 is not a highly regarded amp.

Look at the resale on used ones - [i']cheap![/i]

Some amp guys I've talked to say it's unfair if you're talking tone, because it's still in there.

But the 900 amps are more complicated with more features, more points of possible failure, for what....?

With the Master Volume on the 900 (and my 800) you dime the preamp.

Adjust overall volume to suit using the master' date=' around 2 is pretty damned loud.

6 is loud enough for somebody to call the cops.

Honestly, I hear other people play through my Marshall and I like the way it sounds better.

They will reveal every flaw in your technique - and make it LOUDER.

I'm still a smaller/Fender amp guy for the most part.

And to be brutally honest, the JCM 900 is not a highly regarded amp.

Look at the resale on used ones - [i']cheap![/i]

Some amp guys I've talked to say it's unfair if you're talking tone, because it's still in there.

But the 900 amps are more complicated with more features, more points of possible failure, for what....?

+1

I sold my JCM800 a few years ago - too loud to play at home.

I switched to a Lonestar Special and a 212 cabinet and a Blues Jr.

I run both at the same time and for the Marshall crunch I got myself the Lovepedal Purple Plexi.

For smooth overdrive I kick in the TS808.

I do not miss the Marshall anymore - and each of my guitars love this rig.

No' date=' I'm sure it's not a joke at all. One thing you've got to remember about tube amps: If you want that 'sweet sound' you've got to overdrive the tubes. That means running at about 80% of power (or more). Unless you can turn it up loud enough to do that (if you're rehearsing in an arena, for instance) you won't be able to drive a high-watt Marshall hard enough to get to the 'sweet spot'.

The best advise I can give anybody who desires to buy a tube amp: 18 watts or less. Even a 40-watt Fender is pretty difficult to turn up loud enough to get that sweet overdriven sound without a visit from the cops.[/quote']

this is a great lesson that could save everyone some cash and possibly wear and tear on one's back. 18W or less. use mics when playing in larger rooms.

If you read what I had in quotes it said in tone heaven with a solid state line 6. That what I asked

if he was joking about. Second going from the over driven line 6 to the Marshall you have to

get the pick working. You can't play the 2 the same. Has any thought that he just has a dead

sounding LP.

CW

i came home and plugged into the line 6 (solid state) i was back in tone heaven!

Well' date=' I was gonna be polite and not comment on this particular passage in the OP.....

[thumbup

Just sharing my insight from my limited experience with Marshalls over the years.

Including the JCM 800 I have, but rarely play - because it really ain't my cup of tea.

If Line 6 is your idea of tone heaven then, by all means, keep playing!

(You won't have to worry about me hanging around and bugging you.....)

:D/

Archived