Gibson Brands Forums

What's your favorite Gibson and why?

Eddie Rondack

I know it's been done before, but let's go again...

Mine is the only one I have right now... my custom shop Western Classic Prewar 200.

I had it built with an Adirondack top and a hog neck (instead of the maple). I just wanted the traditional combination of materials. I changed the gold Waverlys out for nickel and added elephant ivory bridge pins

It has everything you would expect in the tone of an EIR/Adirondack guitar... along with that intangible Gibson "thang" that we all love.

Just a beautiful, wonderful sounding guitar.

I have an AJ on order now with an Adirondack top and a drop-in short saddle. Can't wait... maybe that'll be my new #1... or maybe I'll have 2.

The Southern Jumbo has a "vibe" all it's own. It's unmistakable in it's appearance and tone. My favorite! But then again, all the Gibson models are like that! J-45, Hummingbird, SJ-200, Dove, etc! :(

I don't own it yet, but hopefully soon. I think it'll be a Maple J-185.

As far as Gibsons I own, my favorite is my Custom Shop Adi/Hog J-45. It just has a certain "je ne sais quoi" that my L-4A and J-200 do not.

(Oh look! There it is to the left!)

You would love the "review on the L-00" thread posted by CunkHead! I'll be happy to take it off your hands!!!

Hehe, yeah, I watched that review when I started considering a Blues King. And it warms my heart to know I'm not by myself with my opinion of his review.

Wrong part of the forum but here goes!

1924 F5, signed by Lloyd Loar, currently owned by Chris Thile. Sold by a widow after her husband's death. It had been under her bed for 60 years? Or so I read a while back i think.......

I've owned a lot of Gibson slope shoulders and 12 strings. Both Kalamazoo and Montana made. I presently own two. One is a 1959 Country Western and a recent Montana made J35 Fullers reissue. Though both of these are nice guitars I prefer the J35. I like it for it's sound, it's stunning looks and it's playability. The fit and finish on this guitar is the best of any Gibson I've owned and it is on par with just about any brand of guitar I've owned or played. This is the sixth Montana Gibson I've owned, the other five were no slouch's but this J35 is something else. When I'm holding and playing it, I forget that it's a new guitar it just bleeds vintage feel and tone. I hope that I'm never in such a financial bind that I'd have to let it go.

Robbie used to have a 95 J30 banner in a dark sunburst. It was an anniversary model of some description. Awesome guitar and the sweetest sounding acoustic I have played.

My favourite Gibson is my 335 because I wanted one so badly for many years. It's a beast but I don't play it enough.

I am a big L00 fan. I have been ever since I tried out a friend of mine's L00 Legend.

I also really love my SJ200, but I have to say that my favourite Gibson of all time is...

The Dove.

There is some kind of crazy magic in the combo of long scale, Maple back end and big ol' dread body. Some of the most jaw-dropping guitars I've played have been Doves.

One day I will own one again, but I'll have to earn an eyebrow-raising amount of money to justify owning a third Gibson now I'm a Dad!

I have a SJ200 EC maple and a J185 plus 2 Martins and a Goodall. My favorite acoustic by a considerable margin is my J185. I just love it.

I'm playing it through a Compact 60 AER and it sounds fantastic. However it's also really good without playing it through the amp. It's got a very good action albeit a bit on the low side for some and a rich mellow even sound. A real gem!!

Archived