Gibson Brands Forums

Furthest away you've gone for a gig

DAS44

HOw far have you physically gone to get to a gig?

Just wondering because my guitar teacher is going to Austin Texas for a gig in a couple weeks. He lives up in Maine so its a good distance away.

There's really two sides to this question.

How far have you driven to a gig and had to drive home afterwards? OR, how far have you been paid to travel to a gig, transportion and hotels rooms included (and some meals)?

It's the difference between a "bar band" and a "professional band".

I've gone to Maui several time to play a few weeks at the hotels there. Surf and sleep during the day and then usually 4 - 5 hours of music in two sets the dinner crowd and family's 6-8 then nine to midnight or so at the pool bars. not a bad couple weeks but probably get to be a grind if it was normal life.

LA On an 18 hour flight. I didn't mind' date=' I just got 'ammered on both planes.[/quote']

rofl, damned good post ;)[lol];)

BTW Larry, I meant the latter of the two you mentioned.

how far have you been paid to travel to a gig, transportion and hotels rooms included (and some meals)? (Excluding the meals perhaps)

Back in 1989, the first year I played on the road full time, the band and I actually drove from Nashville to California for one gig, and drove straight back. For some reason that didn't seem like a bad idea at the time.

Ah...youth.:-$

Not anywhere near some of you cats, but my last band would do regular weekend gigs up in the Twin Cities. That is about 400 miles from my home base in Chicago. Played Iowa City and Kansas City too. Know what? Loved every minute of it and have zero regrets. If my life were different I would still be doing it now.

I've only been in bar bands. The furthest I've probably gone is about 3 hours each way.

But when you're driving the drunk female singer back with you (who's had a bad night!) it seems like 10 hours :-$

Archived