Gibson Brands Forums

Trading a Gibson for a Fender, should I?

Izzy

I'm thinking of trading my Flying V (Rudolph signed signature series) for this awesome looking 1960s Fender Jaguar.

*forgoes link

Should I? I've not found any info on how much mine is worth...

I know...I'm such an amateur xD

Problem with the link. Keep in mind that many new Jags are mexican made and can be purchased used for much less than a used V. If its a new Fender from Corona Custom Shop, or an actual 1960s Jag, it may be worth the trade. Jags are sweet guitars!

Nothing at all against the Jag but...

I wouldn't.

I'd save up instead. If I wanted it enough, the money in the sugar bowl would grow enough for a straight out buy.

Seriously, at your age I traded too many guitars I'd give up a lotta other stuff to have returned.

So... my new rule on stuff excepting vehicles is, if I can't afford it without a trade, I can't afford it.

m

I wouldn't.

I'd save up instead. If I wanted it enough' date=' the money in the sugar bowl would grow enough for a straight out buy.

Seriously, at your age I traded too many guitars I'd give up a lotta other stuff to have returned.

So... my new rule on stuff excepting vehicles is, if I can't afford it without a trade, I can't afford it.

m

[/quote']

Sage advice as always!

That wouldn't be something I would do.

However if the V isnt speaking to you, and you're pretty sure you wont have any regrets parting with it.... And the Jag is something you'll play and enjoy, then it's certainly something you can consider.

Again however...... Go play a 60's Jag first... I can tell you the V and Jag are entirely different players. And what you have in your V is something you will not get out of a Jag in terms of sound and playing characteristics.

Good-Luck and sorry for the long winded answer[blush]

Have the Jag inspected by someone who knows guitars to make sure it is a bona fide '60s guitar. As long as you're comfortable, and realize you're trading even- your Lexus for a Ford, I'd say enjoy your new Fender.

I had a chance to trade my '83 Elite Strat for a '57 Jazzmaster. We swapped guitars for a while, but I could never get any tone out of the Jazzmaster... far too thin for my tastes, and I like a fairly bright tone! It wasn't ever a question of value, just a matter of tone.

It really is all about the sound.

Seriously.

I wouldn't.

I'd save up instead. If I wanted it enough' date=' the money in the sugar bowl would grow enough for a straight out buy.

[b']Seriously, at your age I traded too many guitars I'd give up a lotta other stuff to have returned[/b].

m

#-o You just made me tear from the memories of my past guitars.

From the age of no money and still trying to find "my sound" - brutal losses.

Take his advice!

I'm thinking of trading my Flying V (Rudolph signed signature series) for this awesome looking 1960s Fender Jaguar.

*forgoes link

Should I? I've not found any info on how much mine is worth...

I know...I'm such an amateur xD

i know you have asked for advice but realy at the end of the day it is up to you, my mate has a jaguar called "daphne" he named her after the colour (daphne blue) #-o and it is a realy sweet sounding/playing guitar i asume your familiar with the fender tone?

if youv'e played it and like it then forget about the other comments about value and prestige and swap it!

If its a legit 60s Jag its worth more than a newer V. I have always had a soft spot for Fender's non tele-strat models like the Jag, Jazzmaster, and Mustang. Sweet guitars, and you dont see many of them around. I almost traded my MIA Standard Stratocaster for a Jazzmaster a few months back, but backed out at the last minute.

A few years ago, I had a 1964 Fender Jaguar. After keeping it many years, I was offered a good sum of money for it and took it.. I never owned a flying V, but the few I had played did nothing for me. The way the Jaguar played, I loved it.. The feel, the sound...Just too many switches to play with... I would have traded a Flying V for a good American Jag in a heartbeat.... I was always taught , that any time you have a big decision to make, to draw a T on a piece of paper, and write down on the top of the T...All the reasons I want to do something.... and on the other side..All the reasons I don't want to do what ever ...

This way, you can list and weigh everything out, on paper before you make your decision...

Thank you guys for he input, sorry for my late acknowledgement.

Tomorrow I get to test the Jag. I plan on bringing mine to play on the same set up and hear/feel the difference.

Main reason I asked for your input was to figure out if, disregarding heart and taste and sound and tone...just as a cash commodity for cash commodity trade, they were both of equal value. This is in case I decide to trade and he proposes, "give me the V AND a grand." I want to feel secure saying, "no."

Mostly I've been smitten with the fender tone and I do love me those vintage axes...I don't own a single fender, it gets to me.

Archived