Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson OR Fender?????

Cerda

I have a squier guitar which says fender to.... I saw that they are so cheap' date=' and if thats why when I play, it sounds weird when playing sweet child o mine...

I saw that the gibson les paul standards are like 2000+, so is the gibson better than the squier guitar?[/quote']

Why do I feel like he already knows the answer to this.

All guitars have the capacity to sound fantastic in the right hands of a good player.

I agree.

Our bass player for the longest time swore by Squire basses.

His logic was that he can go into any town we were playing in and get one for $179 if he needed a replacement.

They sounded fine, played fine and they weren't so expensive that if it got damaged on the road or got ripped off, it was no big loss.

I've played several Squire guitars and 2 of my sons have 1 each. An Affinity Tele and a 3/4 Strat.

For the money, the Tele is simply amazing. Well made, plays beautifully (after a light set-up) sounds great and looks the part. What more do you want from your guitar?

But compared to my 335 (the only Gibson electric I have), there is none. The Squier cost approx 1/20th of the 335. Whilst the 335 has all that the Tele has, if you own a Gibson, you own part of the history and legacy of the brand. It has its own soul. If you can play it and express some of the skill, time and love that has gone into building it, then you are doing it some justice. It's the intangible things which make the difference. Whether they are worth the extra effort is entirely a person choice.

So, of course, Gibson is "better" than Squier. But at the end of the day, what is far more important, is who is playing it and what you want from your guitar.

I agree.

Our bass player for the longest time swore by Squire basses.

His logic was that he can go into any town we were playing in and get one for $179 if he needed a replacement.

They sounded fine' date=' played fine and they weren't so expensive that if it got damaged on the road or got ripped off, it was no big loss.

[/quote']

Bass is omnidirectional. Its not as fussy as a six string. Squires, being entry level guitars have basic

electronics that sound flatter than piss on a plate. They also have thinner bodies made from low

end slabs of wood.

The only Fenders besides American made that are any good are the Mexican made. But, even they

had sub-par electronics.

I have a squier guitar which says fender to.... I saw that they are so cheap' date=' and if thats why when I play, it sounds weird when playing sweet child o mine...

I saw that the gibson les paul standards are like 2000+, so is the gibson better than the squier guitar?[/quote']

its a unfair comparison with a $299 fender to a $2000 gibson--the quality of the pups and electronics is way different--they might play similar but the quality of sound is going to favor the Gibson BIG TIME--i have a custom strat and a custom Gibson and they play pretty equal but they sound completely different because of the pups--i like both equally for different reasons-jmo

Must..........bite...............tongue....................[biggrin]

Ok, I'm not gonna beat around the bush and tell you "a guitar is only as good as the player, blah blah blah." I'm sorry, but Even a made in China/Indonesia Squier is not gonna sound or play as good as a Gibson or MIA Fender. First of all, a Strat is very different from a Les Paul. Type of wood, and pick ups, etc make a difference.

I will say this though. It depends on your preference. But it really does boil down to this. The woods, electronics, etc in a Gibson are in fact better than a squier. That also includes craftsmanship.

Always been Gibson for me..... Never owned a Fender, and probably never will. Just about every Fender I have picked up, it only stays in my hands for about two minutes then I just put it back[confused]

However my daughter does have the Hello kitty Fender strat, and I must admit after my Luthier went to town on her, it's truly is a nice player.

I've got a MIA Fender Lonestar Strat, and a 1989 Gibson ES-347 both have their own unique qualities, but both are great guitars. I wanted a floyd rose so I bought a Squier Stagemaster (was pretty cheap and looked alright), it doesn't come anywhere close to the quality and feel of the Strat and ES. I'm not gonna say it doesn't sound good, but you can definitely feel the difference.

However my daughter does have the Hello kitty Fender strat' date=' and I must admit after my Luthier went to town on her, it's truly is a nice player.[/quote']

Your luthier went to town on your daughter? Judo style or WWF wrestling? My luthier does a brutal figure four leg lock.

Archived